2011 NFL thread - a jackspain celebration

For all sporting topics - news, discussion, score updates etc. - other than Aussie Rules and Premier League Soccer.

Moderators: pies4ever, bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Further to my previous post, a link to one useful place for finding the week's NFL TV broadcasts is here: http://nfldownunder.com/tv-guide/austra ... ng-edition

Looks like OneHD has the Packers v Lions live at 4.30am Friday, followed by Dolphins v Cowboys at 8.15am (both live). There is no free to air live coverage of the 49ers v Ravens game (it is live on ESPN) but there is a replay on OneHD at 7am on Saturday.

The Packers game should be a beauty - Stafford (the Lions' QB) looks the goods (has done well all year and threw 5 TDs a couple of days ago) and the Packers' defence (as YFE posted above) has been letting the opposition get good yardage, so this should be a high-scoring and entertaining game. The Ravens and 49ers is one I have been waiting for for a while now - it's a real test for the 49ers and will help us understand how far they can go; it will also have a big bearing on the AFC North, where the Bengals, Ravens and Steelers are all fine sides and locked in a life and death struggle for top position.

According to the article, there will be 3 live games this Monday, not 1 as I previously thought, as follows:

Jets v Bills (5.05am)
Raiders v Bears (8.15am)
Chiefs v Steelers (11.45am)

Hopefully, OneHD will stay with the NFL until February, now that we're approaching the business end (only five more rounds after this weekend's games until the playoffs).

While I am on a "general information" post, for anyone that wants to follow the progress towards the playoffs, I find the ESPN site very good. The information is available in various presentations (by division, by conference and by playoff standings). The playoff standings link follows: http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/type ... rder/false

You can get from there to the scores page etc.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

OEP

Post by OEP »

Just finished watching the 49ers vs Ravens game and I have to say I was impressed by both teams. Great smash mouth football, big hits, big plays, some real aggression from both teams. Both these teams are definite threats to Green Bay for the Super Bowl.

Smith impressed me greatly with his ability to stay upright in the pocket even when under enormous pressure and still make some important plays. Is he an elite QB, no, can he become one under the tutelage of Harbaugh, most definitely.

Also Gore gets a special mention for his fantastic pass blocking. If he isn't the best pass blocking RB's in the league he ain't far off it, plus he's one of the best RB's in the league.

The game was won off an unbelievable pass from Flacco in the last quarter and the niners had a TD called back in the second quarter for a (soft) chop block that was there but was a bloody tough call, 9 times out of 10 that call isn't made.

All-in-all I have to admit I'm pretty happy even though my boys lost, they came off their third short break, third away game in a row, and to the Raven's home ground facing one of the toughest defenses in the competition with one of the most parochial fans in the league and still could have won the game.

Bring on the finals :D
A Collingwood supporter since the egg was inseminated.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^^^ OEP, I agree with your assessment - that was a fantastic game, with the defences generally dominating. I think both are high-quality teams and the match could have gone either way. It's no disgrace to be beaten by the Ravens - after all, they've taken out the Steelers twice and I rate the Steelers highly.

The difference in class between these two sides and, eg, Dallas in the other Thursday game looked to me to be a gulf.

I also thought A-Rod was a little off in the Green Bay game (that said, he still had a QB rating well over 100, threw 2 TDs and had no intercepts) but it's hard to say much about a team that were leading 24:0 against a team which has been scoring freely in recent weeks. The real test for Green Bay will be whether the first line of defenders can do enough in the playoffs.
OEP

Post by OEP »

Pies4shaw wrote:^^^ OEP, I agree with your assessment - that was a fantastic game, with the defences generally dominating. I think both are high-quality teams and the match could have gone either way. It's no disgrace to be beaten by the Ravens - after all, they've taken out the Steelers twice and I rate the Steelers highly.

The difference in class between these two sides and, eg, Dallas in the other Thursday game looked to me to be a gulf.

I also thought A-Rod was a little off in the Green Bay game (that said, he still had a QB rating well over 100, threw 2 TDs and had no intercepts) but it's hard to say much about a team that were leading 24:0 against a team which has been scoring freely in recent weeks. The real test for Green Bay will be whether the first line of defenders can do enough in the playoffs.
Your absolutely right about the cheese head defense, which is really surprising considering the talent they have on the field.

In most cases it's a teams defense that makes the offenses life easier by making stops and creating good starting field position, yet with the Packers it's in reverse the offense makes the defenses life easier by getting early points and forcing their opponents into a passing game, virtually abandoning their running game to make up the difference. This means they can run with a 3 front defensive line and either drop LB's back into coverage or take LB's off and bring on extra CB's and shorten the field or blitz from the edges.

If the Packers come up against a team that can hold A-Rod (and that'll be no easy feat) and score themselves then that could be when these deficiencies are seriously exposed, but first you have to stop Rodgers :shock:
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Is there a chance the Great Man could come out of retirement to save the Houston Texans? The unlucky Texans have lost 2 QBs in the last fortnight to season-ending injuries. And they are hunting for a new starter. Given that they are 8 and 3 and presently no 1 in the AFC play-off standings, you'd think they might be tempted to beg No 4 to brush the cob-webs off his throwing arm and come back for one more death or glory tilt. And the Texans are probably good enough at the offensive line for him to think he could do it without getting himself killed.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/72937 ... ource-says

You know you want it! All that 500 TD merchandise rotting out in the Favre family's Hattiesburg shed - this could just help to move some of it.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

And, for the few of you (apart from YFE and me, of course) who care about the subject, here is an enjoyable article comparing (the incomparable) No 4 with (the barely out of nappies) No 12:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7272 ... tter-favre

I enjoyed this part best:

"Yes, Favre is one of the most unforgettable quarterbacks of all time. He's Halle Berry in a bikini. But Rodgers is Halle Berry in a bikini carrying an ice-cold 12-pack and the keys to a free Maserati.

Rodgers runs better than Favre ever did. Rodgers picks his spots better than Favre ever did. Favre always figured a football could fit easily into a USB port from 40 yards away. Not Rodgers. He knows the value of a perfectly thrown spiral to a cheerleader.

On prime-time TV, Favre is the gutsy cop who wants to throw a grenade and go running in after it to save hostages. Rodgers is the guy in the bow tie who talks it out on the headset with the kidnapper, all the while cleaning his rifle scope with his pocket square.

Of course Favre was more exciting. Favre was a human cliff-hanger, a thrill machine, an entire season of "24" stuffed into 60 minutes. Rodgers is the guy in his bathrobe and slippers checking out the window to see what the noise is. Favre is a pair of red dancing shoes. Rodgers is a pair of Crocs."
blackmissionary

Post by blackmissionary »

Pies4shaw wrote:Personally, I will be giving the Eagles and Seahawks a miss but the 3 Monday games should be good ones.
Not a great game, but was worth watching for Marshawn Lynch and the mesmerising way the Eagles have imploded, with DeSean Jackson's shitty attitude front and centre.
OEP

Post by OEP »

blackmissionary wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:Personally, I will be giving the Eagles and Seahawks a miss but the 3 Monday games should be good ones.
Not a great game, but was worth watching for Marshawn Lynch and the mesmerising way the Eagles have imploded, with DeSean Jackson's shitty attitude front and centre.
Yeah I was disgusted with his attitude both on the field and on the sideline, someone needs to pin the little pr!ck against a locker and tell him to pull his head in. All his problems are self-induced so I have no sympathy for him at all.

I wonder if his attitude would be this bad in a team like the Ravens with an on field and off field enforcer like Ray Lewis waiting to give you an attitude adjustment. Me thinks not.
Yarra Falls End

Post by Yarra Falls End »

OEP wrote:Just finished watching the 49ers vs Ravens game and I have to say I was impressed by both teams. Great smash mouth football, big hits, big plays, some real aggression from both teams. Both these teams are definite threats to Green Bay for the Super Bowl.

Smith impressed me greatly with his ability to stay upright in the pocket even when under enormous pressure and still make some important plays. Is he an elite QB, no, can he become one under the tutelage of Harbaugh, most definitely.

Also Gore gets a special mention for his fantastic pass blocking. If he isn't the best pass blocking RB's in the league he ain't far off it, plus he's one of the best RB's in the league.

The game was won off an unbelievable pass from Flacco in the last quarter and the niners had a TD called back in the second quarter for a (soft) chop block that was there but was a bloody tough call, 9 times out of 10 that call isn't made.

All-in-all I have to admit I'm pretty happy even though my boys lost, they came off their third short break, third away game in a row, and to the Raven's home ground facing one of the toughest defenses in the competition with one of the most parochial fans in the league and still could have won the game.

Watched all 3 Thanksgiving games from Vancouver Island.Thought the refs in all games were over officiating.Agree 49ers were stiff.Wasn't aware Ben Graham had been acquired by the Lions.
I learnt that Canadians have an equivalen for tiggy touchwood.They call it ticky tacky.
Watched a bit of college football whilst I was over there and during the Ravens 49ers game was switching over to Texas v Texas A+M who were playing for the last time and ending an 118 rivalry as A+M was switching conferneces for the big $$$$

P4S remember Mike

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ke-sherman
OEP

Post by OEP »

College football is great to watch. You get to see some really outlandish plays called and executed.
Yarra Falls End

Pies4shaw wrote:And, for the few of you (apart from YFE and me, of course) who care about the subject, here is an enjoyable article comparing (the incomparable) No 4 with (the barely out of nappies) No 12:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7272 ... tter-favre

I enjoyed this part best:

"Yes, Favre is one of the most unforgettable quarterbacks of all time. He's Halle Berry in a bikini. But Rodgers is Halle Berry in a bikini carrying an ice-cold 12-pack and the keys to a free Maserati.

Rodgers runs better than Favre ever did. Rodgers picks his spots better than Favre ever did. Favre always figured a football could fit easily into a USB port from 40 yards away. Not Rodgers. He knows the value of a perfectly thrown spiral to a cheerleader.

On prime-time TV, Favre is the gutsy cop who wants to throw a grenade and go running in after it to save hostages. Rodgers is the guy in the bow tie who talks it out on the headset with the kidnapper, all the while cleaning his rifle scope with his pocket square.

Of course Favre was more exciting. Favre was a human cliff-hanger, a thrill machine, an entire season of "24" stuffed into 60 minutes. Rodgers is the guy in his bathrobe and slippers checking out the window to see what the noise is. Favre is a pair of red dancing shoes. Rodgers is a pair of Crocs."
To which we Rodgers men say, "Wait a couple of years. Soon you'll be driving on the Aaron Rodgers Championship Beltway. You'll like it. It's safe, smooth and takes you where you want to go."

Seriously,I worshipped the ground No 4 walked on and thought we would never have anyone like him again.When he retired, I looked at getting a signed shirt from his website to frame and hang on the study wall but just never got around to it.Then he came out of retirement.

Unfortunately, with a bit of luck and more self restraint he could have been one of the greatests.If you recall he came up against Dallas and Aikman 2 years running in the playoffs in their super bowl era and then Elway's Denver.However in the 2000's he had 2 shockers at Lambeau against 2 weaker opposition.The first was against Vick's Atlanata after a 12-4 season and the second was his last ever Packer game in the NFC championship game against the Giants.
Yarra Falls End

OEP wrote:College football is great to watch. You get to see some really outlandish plays called and executed.
Looking forward to the Rose bowl between University of Wisconsin Badgers and Oregon Ducks.

We thought rivalry in Australian sport was bad, watched an amazing documentry on ESPN on the Alabama Auburn rivalry.Amazing stuff.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Yarra Falls End wrote:
OEP wrote:Just finished watching the 49ers vs Ravens game and I have to say I was impressed by both teams. Great smash mouth football, big hits, big plays, some real aggression from both teams. Both these teams are definite threats to Green Bay for the Super Bowl.

Watched all 3 Thanksgiving games from Vancouver Island.Thought the refs in all games were over officiating.Agree 49ers were stiff.Wasn't aware Ben Graham had been acquired by the Lions.
I learnt that Canadians have an equivalen for tiggy touchwood.They call it ticky tacky.
Watched a bit of college football whilst I was over there and during the Ravens 49ers game was switching over to Texas v Texas A+M who were playing for the last time and ending an 118 rivalry as A+M was switching conferneces for the big $$$$

P4S remember Mike

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ke-sherman
Thanks for picking up on the Mike Sherman news, YFE. Fine head coach - he had the good sense not to sack the greatest QB who ever threw an interception. :lol: