2011 NFL thread - a jackspain celebration

For all sporting topics - news, discussion, score updates etc. - other than Aussie Rules and Premier League Soccer.

Moderators: pies4ever, bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Yarra Falls End wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:And, for the few of you (apart from YFE and me, of course) who care about the subject, here is an enjoyable article comparing (the incomparable) No 4 with (the barely out of nappies) No 12:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7272 ... tter-favre

I enjoyed this part best:

"Yes, Favre is one of the most unforgettable quarterbacks of all time. He's Halle Berry in a bikini. But Rodgers is Halle Berry in a bikini carrying an ice-cold 12-pack and the keys to a free Maserati.

Rodgers runs better than Favre ever did. Rodgers picks his spots better than Favre ever did. Favre always figured a football could fit easily into a USB port from 40 yards away. Not Rodgers. He knows the value of a perfectly thrown spiral to a cheerleader.

On prime-time TV, Favre is the gutsy cop who wants to throw a grenade and go running in after it to save hostages. Rodgers is the guy in the bow tie who talks it out on the headset with the kidnapper, all the while cleaning his rifle scope with his pocket square.

Of course Favre was more exciting. Favre was a human cliff-hanger, a thrill machine, an entire season of "24" stuffed into 60 minutes. Rodgers is the guy in his bathrobe and slippers checking out the window to see what the noise is. Favre is a pair of red dancing shoes. Rodgers is a pair of Crocs."
To which we Rodgers men say, "Wait a couple of years. Soon you'll be driving on the Aaron Rodgers Championship Beltway. You'll like it. It's safe, smooth and takes you where you want to go."

Seriously,I worshipped the ground No 4 walked on and thought we would never have anyone like him again.When he retired, I looked at getting a signed shirt from his website to frame and hang on the study wall but just never got around to it.Then he came out of retirement.

Unfortunately, with a bit of luck and more self restraint he could have been one of the greatests.If you recall he came up against Dallas and Aikman 2 years running in the playoffs in their super bowl era and then Elway's Denver.However in the 2000's he had 2 shockers at Lambeau against 2 weaker opposition.The first was against Vick's Atlanata after a 12-4 season and the second was his last ever Packer game in the NFC championship game against the Giants.
In case there is any doubt, YFE, I should say that I agree with you about A-Rod: of course he's a fabulous quarter back and there's no doubt he's the best in the business at the moment. I am in the Rodgers camp and would want no-one else (including Brett) at Lambeau.

But I hold Favre in special regard - because he simply is the reason I watch the game closely. No-one ever made me want to watch the NFL like he did. Doesn't matter where he ranks in the all-time list, he was just an absolute joy to watch (wherever he played and however many interceptions he threw). Yes I know about the bad ends to big games (there was another one at the Vikes in 2009, of course, although in my opinion his Vikes would have been home and hosed way earlier in that game if AP hadn't kept fumbling). I would love to see him play again (even though I know he has come to the end) and the latest speculation that he might throw for the Bears has sparked my attention (as did last week's speculation that he might throw for Houston). I don't see him as a traitor - I just see him as a fellow who played an entirely different game to most of his opponents and, let's face it, the Bears are no threat (now Forte has gone down, as well) so, Favre or not, they're not going to beat our Packers.

And, because my memory is selective (and also because I am presently working on a Favre hagiography), I prefer to think of him as the QB who threw an outrageous TD pass in the 1997 SB on the second play of the game. And the QB whose innovative brilliance got the Pack through against the Seahawks the week before that fateful Giants game.

As for the article, I just thought the writing was very funny - I certainly wasn't taking sides. I enjoy the NFL coverage - the quality and entertainment value of some of the reportage is just far superior to most of what we are dished up here about the AFL.

And when A-Rod gets his 4th ring (as he surely will), I will already be well on my way down the Aaron Rodgers Championship Beltway. That said, I (slightly) enjoyed seeing him throw an interception against the Giants, yesterday - it reminded me of the Great One. :lol:
Last edited by Pies4shaw on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackmissionary

Post by blackmissionary »

Yarra Falls End wrote:We thought rivalry in Australian sport was bad, watched an amazing documentry on ESPN on the Alabama Auburn rivalry.Amazing stuff.
Most sporting rivalries in Australia are incredibly timid compared to overseas sports.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

oops -accidental post: Mods, please delete
blackmissionary

Browns opening drive against the Steelers was about as they could have hoped for - they even had Polamalu run to the wrong spot in one play - except for the fact that they got stopped six inches from a touchdown. After that they were only really in the game because of their punter and the fact that Roethlisberger could barely walk. Must suck to be a Cleveland sports fan.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

blackmissionary wrote:Browns opening drive against the Steelers was about as they could have hoped for - they even had Polamalu run to the wrong spot in one play - except for the fact that they got stopped six inches from a touchdown. After that they were only really in the game because of their punter and the fact that Roethlisberger could barely walk. Must suck to be a Cleveland sports fan.
Did they actually get stopped - or did Colt just misjudge the reach and put his arm down short? Watching the replay it was unbelievable.

OEP will be excited about the prospect of his 49ers playing the Steelers next week with Big Ben on one leg.
OEP

Post by OEP »

Pies4shaw wrote:
blackmissionary wrote:Browns opening drive against the Steelers was about as they could have hoped for - they even had Polamalu run to the wrong spot in one play - except for the fact that they got stopped six inches from a touchdown. After that they were only really in the game because of their punter and the fact that Roethlisberger could barely walk. Must suck to be a Cleveland sports fan.
Did they actually get stopped - or did Colt just misjudge the reach and put his arm down short? Watching the replay it was unbelievable.

OEP will be excited about the prospect of his 49ers playing the Steelers next week with Big Ben on one leg.
I'm more interested to see how we do against their defense than their offense, but BB being on one leg should make a nice target for our blitzers :D

What the hell did Polamalu do to his shoulder :shock: It looked like his team mate was trying to rip it off. His loss would be a huge impact to their defense, his ability to shark the ball means QB's just don't throw it when he's around (even the great A-Rod) meaning the offense effectively plays with only one side of the field when throwing the ball. Add his ability the be an effective blitzer and his brilliance at stopping the run and his loss is would be season changing (and not for the better) for the Steelers.

Harrison will be in trouble for his helmet-to-helmet hit on McCoy(plus it was late), he nearly killed the kid (he never should have returned to the field after that hit) and will at the minimum be writing a large cheque to the NFL and could even be suspended over it. With the spate of concussions that are happening and the NFL cracking down on illegal hits to a players head Harrison must be cited.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack
A Collingwood supporter since the egg was inseminated.
blackmissionary

Broncos get out of jail again. Cardinals beat the 49ers. Texans with a last second win against the Bengals.

But the Giants great escape against Dallas is perhaps the big story. Giants scoring two touchdowns in the last three minutes. Dallas tied the game with a field goal, but New York had called a timeout, and on their second try at the field goal attempt the Giants got fingertips to it.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

blackmissionary wrote:Broncos get out of jail again. Cardinals beat the 49ers. Texans with a last second win against the Bengals.

But the Giants great escape against Dallas is perhaps the big story. Giants scoring two touchdowns in the last three minutes. Dallas tied the game with a field goal, but New York had called a timeout, and on their second try at the field goal attempt the Giants got fingertips to it.
Great spectacle it was, too. It was fitting that Brandon Jacobs rushed the winning TD in for the Giants - he was a stand-out in this game. Personally, though, I enjoyed watching the coverage of the Packers game (at least until McCarthy decided to let Flynn stand-in for A-Rod): the Pack's play in the first two and a half quarters was special and the aerial shots of Lambeau Field were fantastic.

Meanwhile, the Jets are back in play-off contention and presently hold one of the wild card spots - they seem to have straightened out their offensive line problems in the second half of the season, so Sanchez isn't getting sacked into oblivion week after week.

In other news, Houston has made the play-offs for the first time ever. Also, if anyone from Chicago Bears management is interested, I have drafted you an apology to Bears fans, in particular, and the NFL-watching public, generally, for failing to sign the Great One before that debacle against Denver. Seriously, at one stage Tebow had gone 0 for about 13 passing (and finished 21 for 40) - the only way the Bears lose that game is by turning up with a similarly useless QB. They hit the jackpot with Hanie!

Looking very much forward to the (American time) Monday night game next week: 49ers on the re-bound after the sort of slight hiccough that teams have when there is little to play for, hosting the Steelers who must win in their neck and neck battle with the Ravens.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Here's a big breaking story from Chicago. I guess the Bears don't need a quarterback if they don't have receivers.

'Chicago Bears receiver Sam Hurd was arrested in Chicago on federal drug charges Wednesday night, and the criminal complaint against him describes Hurd as regularly dealing large amounts of drugs in Chicago.

Hurd allegedly attempted to purchase cocaine and marijuana from a supplier in North Texas, where the case will be adjudicated.

U.S. Magistrate Young Kim ordered Hurd held until at least Friday while prosecutors and defense attorneys work out bond details before he is sent to Texas to face charges. The handcuffed Hurd declined comment to a reporter before the hearing.

Asked if he was still a member of the Bears, he said: "As far as I know." He shook his head when asked if he had talked to anyone on the team.

"Sam intends to fight these charges, and we intend to defend him fully," said high-profile defense attorney David Kenner, one of Hurd's lawyers. "We have complete confidence in him."

Kenner told The Associated Press that he and partner Brett Greenfield had not evaluated all of the information in the case. But Kenner -- who successfully defended rapper Snoop Dogg against murder charges -- said he had other cases where the evidence appeared to be stacked against his client.

"They start off looking terrible, and then we end up with `not guiltys,'" Kenner said.

Kenner and Greenfield said they expected Hurd to be released from custody Friday.

Hurd, 26, was arrested by undercover agents at a Chicago area steakhouse Wednesday night and was due to appear Thursday in federal court to face a charge that he did "possess with intent to distribute 500 grams or more" of cocaine.

"We are aware of Sam's arrest and are continuing to gather details surrounding it," the Bears said in a statement. "We are disappointed whenever these circumstances arise. We will deal with them appropriately once we have all the information."

The NFL also is looking into the arrest, according to league spokesman Greg Aiello.

Hurd's agent Ian Greengross did not return calls seeking comment.

The investigation into Hurd's attempt to buy large amounts of cocaine and marijuana began in July 2011, when he was still a member of the Dallas Cowboys, and concluded when he personally met with an undercover agent Wednesday at Morton's The Steakhouse in Rosemont.

At that meeting, Hurd told the informant that he wanted to buy "five to 10 kilograms of cocaine and 1,000 pounds of marijuana per week for distribution in the Chicago area," according to the complaint.

Hurd allegedly negotiated to pay $25,000 per kilogram for the cocaine and $450 per pound for the marijuana. The complaint says that Hurd "further stated that he and another co-conspirator currently distribute four kilograms of cocaine per week in the Chicago area, but that the supplier could not supply him with enough quantity."

After they agreed on a price, the undercover agent gave Hurd a kilogram of cocaine, according to the complaint. Hurd told the agent that he plays for the Bears and would get out of practice at 5:30 p.m., at which time he would make arrangements to pay for the drugs. According to the complaint, Hurd then took the drugs and got in his car. He was promptly arrested.

Hurd hit authorities' radar in July, when a confidential informant told police that a man was attempting to obtain four kilograms of cocaine for an unknown buyer in the Dallas area. That man was later stopped by police with $88,000 in a canvas bag. He said that the car and the money belonged to Hurd. Police confiscated the money, and Hurd later contacted authorities trying to get the money back.

Hurd was interviewed by police and admitted that he owned the car and had taken the money out of the bank, but authorities found that bank records did not match the amount.

Then in August, text messages and cellular phone records from a number used by Hurd showed up in relation to four individuals who were detained in California with currency, narcotics and weapons. The complaint states that the text message content "appeared to be consistent with narcotics trafficking and possible money laundering."

In December, the confidential informant told the co-conspirator that he would have to meet Hurd to "discuss future business." That led to the meeting in Chicago Wednesday, at which Hurd told the agent that his associate handles the majority of deals while he was involved in the "higher-end" deals.

A free-agent acquisition by the Bears from the Dallas Cowboys in July, Hurd has played in 12 games this season primarily as a special-teams contributor. As a receiver, Hurd had eight catches for 109 yards.

Bears coach Lovie Smith said the organization was surprised by the news.

"We came to work like we normally do on a Thursday. Sam wasn't in meetings this morning," Smith said. "From there of course we started searching, trying to find out why a player wouldn't be here. So there was no tipoff, didn't know it was coming. Again, total surprise."

Bears linebacker Lance Briggs said: "I think everyone is (shocked). Nice guy. Sam is a nice guy. Well liked, well liked in the locker room. He was a guy we were just all getting to know.

"You hate to see this happen to anyone. We all make mistakes, but like I said, it's just sad to see."

Brian Urlacher also said Hurd seemed to be a good teammate.

"Sad for him," Urlacher said. "Not sure what is going on. But never want to hear something like this happen to one of your teammates.

"Good teammate. That's what I know of him. Outside of here, I don't know him very well, but he comes to work every day and practices hard and plays hard. That's all I know of him. He's a friendly guy. Always been really friendly. Says 'hi' in the hallway every time you walk by him and I walk past him 10 times a day in the hallway and he still says 'hi' every time. He's a good guy, from what I know of him from being in the building."

Receiver Roy Williams, who is also in his first season with the Bears after spending three seasons with Hurd in Dallas, said it's a tough situation for his teammate.

"I'm just shocked about the situation," Williams said. "It's a situation that I don't want anyone to be in, especially a close friend or a teammate I've been playing with now four or five years now. Especially a guy from Texas, with a wife and daughter.

"It's tough for me, just cause I'm not into drugs or anything like that. But I know it has to be tough for him, because he has his family, and that's a choice that he made. And there's consequences, with the choices that you make."

In 2009, four years into his NFL career, Hurd established a charitable organization, Running with the Hurd, aimed at mentoring kids. The organization sponsored a football camp in the South Texas city of Harlingen last year.

In 2008, Hurd's sister, Jawanda Newsome, told the San Antonio Express-News that her brother was paying to fix up their parents' home as well as covering his younger brother's junior college tuition.

Newsome said she worried about her brother because he was so prone to give his money away.

"Everyone knows he has a generous heart and is not the kind of person to say no," said Newsome, who didn't immediately return calls Thursday. "I kind of get upset because people take advantage of him."

Hurd signed a three-year deal on July 30 that included a signing bonus of $1.3 million and will pay him base salaries of $685,000 in 2011, $865,000 in 2012, and $1 million in 2013.'

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/ ... ug-charges
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

On a more positive note, I've just completed my predictions for play off places. Please feel free to express your views and flame me for mine. They are as follows:

AFC
1st seed: Baltimore (13:3)
2nd seed: New England (13:3)
3rd seed: Houston (13:3)
4th seed: Denver (10:6)
5th seed: Pittsburgh (12:4)
6th seed:Oakland (10:6)

For anyone who isn't aware, the first 4 spots are taken by the winners of the divisions, which is why the Steelers (who could even finish 13:3, if they beat the 49ers this Monday, but would still be behind Baltimore because Baltimore have beaten them twice) end up behind the Broncos despite likely winning at least 2 more games.

Unhappily, that would see Tebow's tedious Broncos making the playoffs - the better news is that I expect them to come up against the Steelers in the first week (first week games are 3 v 6 and 4 v 5). Between Harrison (who will be back - he only got one game for the hit on McCoy which leaves McCoy still unable to line up this week) and Polamalu, Tebow will have - as they say - his hands fairly full.

I also have the Jets finishing on 10:6, so they would still be a serious chance to take the wild card spot from Denver or Oakland (if either of them loses a game more than I expect, that team would probably miss out because they are both in the AFC West) and they might well take it on 11:6 if they beat the Giants. The Bengals would have to be the unluckiest team on that side of the draw - I reckon they are probably better than Oakland and Denver but they are stuck in the same Division as the Ravens and the Steelers.

NFC:
1st seed: Green Bay (16:0)
2nd seed: San Francisco (13:3)
3rd seed: New Orleans (13:3)
4th seed: Giants (10:6)
5th seed: Atlanta (10:6)
6th seed: Detroit (9:7)

Dallas are also still a good chance to make the play offs (they are currently 7:6 in the same division as the 7:6 Giants) - if they win all 3, they will take the Division from the Giants (as they might also do if they win 2 of their 3 remaining matches including the Giants and the Giants, eg, also lose their tough match to the Jets). Outside of that possibility, it doesn't look to me like any of the other teams in the NFC are good enough to make the final 6 from their present positions.

It's all getting very exciting - because unlike the AFL - where I am inconsolable if the 'Pies don't win by at least 5 goals, I love to see Green Bay win but don't become catatonic for days if they lose. So, I may well prove to be completely wrong with my NFL predictions but I promise you my views aren't biassed.

I have no idea at all who will prevail in the NFC (I still think it's a 3-horse race between the top 3 seeds) but I have been very impressed by the Steelers in the AFC and think they might be a good outside chance in their side of the draw (provided Big Ben can shake off his ankle problems), despite the road-travel that would follow from being 5th seed, although the Ravens - especially if they do take top seed - would be my present favourites. That just shows how high the stakes are for both teams in their remaining 3 games (they are currently both 10:3) - the team that prevails will likely be top seed in the AFC, whereas the team that comes second will finish with no better than the 5th seed.

I can't pick the likely Superbowl match-up, yet but I think it is possible to exclude a number of the teams from the likely play-off starters. On that basis, I see it likely that the Ravens or the Steelers (I don't think the Patriots' defensive line is good enough at the moment and, unlike the Packers, the Patriot defence doesn't make turnovers) will play off against the Packers, the 49ers or the Saints.
OEP

Post by OEP »

^^^Bloody good summary :D

What was originally looking as being a very dull season of NFL due to the Packers, or more correctly A-Rod's, domination of the league has become a cracker of a year with a number of teams looking the goods. It also helps that of recent weeks the Packers have looked decidedly beatable and the other teams have gained confidence from this.

Personally I think this years playoffs could be some of the best in NFL history.

A Ravens or Steelers vs either the Packers, 49ers or Saints Super Bowl would be an absolute cracker. Personally I think if the Steelers get their defense and Big Ben healthy they'll be playing this years Super Bowl otherwise it'll be the Ravens. From the NFC side it's hard to go past the Packers, in all honesty I think the only way the Packers don't make (and win) the Super Bowl is if A-Rod has a shocker of a game. The 49ers and the Saints are both capable of making the Packers life difficult but neither has the secondary the make A-Rod lower his eyes and play a short field. If you put either Polamanu or Reed in either the 49ers or Saints secondary and you'd have a defensive team capable of controlling the Packers super charged offense.

Either way it's gonna be fun watching this years playoffs :D
jack_spain

Post by jack_spain »

It'll be Green Bay vs. New England Patriots in the Super Bowl. Lock it in Eddie.

Go Patriots! :D
OEP

Post by OEP »

jack_spain wrote:It'll be Green Bay vs. New England Patriots in the Super Bowl. Lock it in Eddie.

Go Patriots! :D
Any team with Tom Brady in it is a contender, but unfortunately the Patriots defense is dreadful and put their offense under excessive pressure every game with bad field position and the need for the offense to stay on the field longer to give them a rest (as their usually on the field for extended times). Against the top teams, especially those with elite QB's like the Steelers and the Ravens (talking just AFC for the moment) they will struggle mightily.

Tom Brady's good enough to carry this team on his shoulders to the big dance but everything would have to go perfectly for the Patriots to beat the top teams.
Yarra Falls End

Post by Yarra Falls End »

On any given Sunday.

The undefeated Packers go down to the Chiefs and the winless Colts have their first win of the season.Dallas now in the driving seat in the NFC east after the NYG lose to the redskins.

Hopefully from a Packer point of view that takes some of the pressure off and baring any unforeseen circumstances,the Pack have now 4 matches at Lambeau before the SB.I do worry about the injuries to our offensive line.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Yarra Falls End wrote:On any given Sunday.

The undefeated Packers go down to the Chiefs and the winless Colts have their first win of the season.Dallas now in the driving seat in the NFC east after the NYG lose to the redskins.

Hopefully from a Packer point of view that takes some of the pressure off and baring any unforeseen circumstances,the Pack have now 4 matches at Lambeau before the SB.I do worry about the injuries to our offensive line.
I declare a day of national mourning. Not that I am over-reacting.