2011 NFL thread - a jackspain celebration

For all sporting topics - news, discussion, score updates etc. - other than Aussie Rules and Premier League Soccer.

Moderators: pies4ever, bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

The results so far in week 15 have made the Steelers v 49ers game tomorrow (Monday night, US time) even more critical - if the Steelers win, their fate is in their own hands. Baltimore's unexpected capitulation to the Chargers has handed the Steelers a chance to finish as AFC 1st seed but, with Big Ben's starting status still doubtful, it is a huge ask. That said, a loss to the Steelers would probably see the 49ers drop from second to third seed in the NFC playoffs (which would mean loss of home-field advantage and no bye in the first play-off week), so there will be huge motivation for both teams.

In another result that may affect the play-offs significantly, the Raiders' loss has opened up a chance for the Jets to get a play-off place - the Jets' game next week against the Giants will probably make or break the 2011 season for both New York clubs. Also, the Raiders' loss looks to make it just about certain that Tebow will be throwing (I use that term loosely) in the play-offs.

The big movement in the NFC side of the draw is that the Giants have, quite literally, dropped the ball (so many fumbled receptions today) on their play-off chances by losing to the Redskins (I haven't quite finished watching the end of that game but can report that the only Sav Rocca punt in the first 3 or so quarters carried 50 yards and bounced another ten, so he is still putting up good stats) and Dallas are now (as YFE has already reported) in pole-position to take the 4th seed (and it looks to be winner takes all between Dallas and the Giants because neither looks likely to win enough games to get in as a wild card if they don't win the Division).
blackmissionary

Post by blackmissionary »

NFC East is all over the shop - even the Eagles still have a chance of making the playoffs because their division record is at present superior to the Giants and Cowboys.

One HD has the Dolphins-Pats and Eagles-Cowboys this week on Sunday our time.
Brenny

Post by Brenny »

I've only got into the NFL this year. I listen to it on Tuneinradio.com when I'm at work.

I've always 'followed' the Cowboys, but this year I've taken a bit more of an interest in it.

Really enjoying it! In 2012, I'll sign up to the NFL game day.

I can't see it happening, but if Dallas go far in the play-offs, I just hope Matt McBriar gets the kudos he deserves in Aus.
Yarra Falls End

Post by Yarra Falls End »

Haha
2 power outages at the aptly named Candlestick Park.
Going to be a late night for those watching in Pittsburg.
OEP

Post by OEP »

WOOHOO OH YEAH.

Smack down at Candlestick Park :D :D :D :D

49ers defense still hasn't let in a rushing touchdown for the year, never before done in the history of the NFL. They also haven't allowed a 100 yard rushing game for 36 games, yes that's right sports fans 36 fricken' games :shock:

All this positive mojo already for the 9er defense and Patrick Willis is still to return.

Aldon Smith has got to be a top three candidate for Rookie of the Year, 31 tackles, 13 sacks :shock: , and 2 forced fumbles. That's a hell of a year.

http://www.49ers.com/team/roster/Aldon- ... 79d83969d2

Also have to show the love to the 9er offense and especially Alex Smith who I'm very happy to say is making me well and truly eat my words when I posted online (on the 49er fan site last year) that he was done and dusted and possible the worst first round draft pick since Ryan Leaf. Well look what happens when a coach comes in and gives the guy an offensive system he can play within. Now he's a realistic chance of being voted into the Pro Bowl, now that's a hell of a turn around for any players career.

GO THE NINERS
A Collingwood supporter since the egg was inseminated.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

OEP wrote:WOOHOO OH YEAH.

49ers defense still hasn't let in a rushing touchdown for the year, never before done in the history of the NFL. They also haven't allowed a 100 yard rushing game for 36 games, yes that's right sports fans 36 fricken' games :shock:

All this positive mojo already for the 9er defense and Patrick Willis is still to return.

Aldon Smith has got to be a top three candidate for Rookie of the Year, 31 tackles, 13 sacks :shock: , and 2 forced fumbles. That's a hell of a year.

Also have to show the love to the 9er offense and especially Alex Smith who I'm very happy to say is making me well and truly eat my words when I posted online (on the 49er fan site last year) that he was done and dusted and possible the worst first round draft pick since Ryan Leaf. Well look what happens when a coach comes in and gives the guy an offensive system he can play within. Now he's a realistic chance of being voted into the Pro Bowl, now that's a hell of a turn around for any players career.

GO THE NINERS
Wow - what a crushing victory. I only just got the result because I've been tied up with non-NFL things since I posted on Monday.

Perhaps the 49ers were inspired by the sight of Steve Young throwing passes to Jerry Rice as part of the pre-game entertainment?

I see that Associated Press has reported that:

"Jim Harbaugh prepared for the Steelers by comparing notes with his brother after the Ravens won both meetings this season with Pittsburgh in one of the AFC's fiercest rivalries.

The Steelers are 0-for-Harbaugh this season."

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=311219025
OEP

Post by OEP »

Pies4shaw wrote:
OEP wrote:WOOHOO OH YEAH.

GO THE NINERS
Wow - what a crushing victory. I only just got the result because I've been tied up with non-NFL things since I posted on Monday.

Perhaps the 49ers were inspired by the sight of Steve Young throwing passes to Jerry Rice as part of the pre-game entertainment?

I see that Associated Press has reported that:

"Jim Harbaugh prepared for the Steelers by comparing notes with his brother after the Ravens won both meetings this season with Pittsburgh in one of the AFC's fiercest rivalries.

The Steelers are 0-for-Harbaugh this season."

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=311219025
You just know the Steelers staff and players fuming over that one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah and I'll make only a quick comment on the Packers first loss of the season because I don't want to be viewed as rubbing salt into the wound.

What stood out for me was exactly what I've posted earlier, stop or greatly diminish A-Rod's influence on the game and the Packer D just can't stop opposition offenses from scoring. I really can't understand why the Packer D is so bad at the moment because they've got so many great players. It really needs to be looked at before the playoffs start or the unthinkable could happen :shock:
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Colts Beat the Texans.

I be pissed if I was a Colts fans as that Win could cost them the Number 1 Pick and Andrew Luck
I am Da Man
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Dave The Man wrote:Colts Beat the Texans.

I be pissed if I was a Colts fans as that Win could cost them the Number 1 Pick and Andrew Luck
That't the problem with putting in a back-up QB who wants to make a name for himself! Indi marched down the field for the match-winning TD in the dying moments. The stuff of legend - unless your QB is 36 years old with injury problems and you want the number 1 pick as his replacement desperately.
blackmissionary

Watched second half of Dolphins-Pats, with Miami leading 17-0 before handing the game to New England. Eagles-Cowboys game became pointless once the Giants had beaten the Jets/
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Watched A-Rod throw 5 TDs against Chicago - a much more relaxing way to spend Boxing Day than watching the Australian top order!

On a sadder note, the great Adrian Peterson watched the Vikings' third win from the sidelines, after tearing his ACL and his MCL - he could just be ready for the start of the 2012 regular season. Get well soon, number 28.

Final regular season round coming up, following today's "Monday Night" game between Atlanta and New Orleans - a great match-up but both teams are guaranteed a play-off spot, so the game may be played with an eye to the finals. Of course, Brees will be out to take Dan Marino's all-time season passing yardage record and, barring the wheels falling off, is likely to get it this week.

Next week's Dallas v Giants game should be a beauty - the winner goes to the play-offs, the loser gets moth-balled.
blackmissionary

Also worth noting, Detroit securing their first playoff appearance since 1999 or whatever it is. They've only won the one playoff game since 1957. Look like a team on the up at last, and hopefully we get to a see a few more of their games next season on free to air, as they do have some exciting players.

AFC North still up for grabs, complicated also by the Bengals being able to secure a wild card as well. The final AFC wildcard place in general is a very wide open race.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Drew Brees' throwing this season has finally broken Dan Marino's 27-year old record (and New Orleans has pulverised Atlanta):

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=311226018
OEP

Post by OEP »

This would have to be a worry for the Saints

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack

Colston is Bree's favorite target and his presence on the field frees up a lot of space for all the other WR's because he's usually drawing double coverage (either two CB's or the FS comes over to help put the CB) or even triple coverage.

His loss would have to have a big effect on the Saints offense next season, if he doesn't resign.

I mean personally I would hate to see him in a 49ers uniform :D :wink: :D
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

The 2011 Pro-Bowl selections are out. Team by team selections follow. The 49ers have 8 selections to Green Bay's 7 but, unsurprisingly, Green Bay has the NFC starting QB (in the AFC, the Patriots have 8 selections AND the starting QB). Good to see that Dwight Freeney and Jared Allen were selected from the Colts and the Vikes, respectively, despite their teams' terrible seasons:

AFC TEAM-BY-TEAM

Baltimore Ravens (7)
* Vonta Leach, fullback
* Ray Lewis, inside/middle linebacker
* Haloti Ngata, interior lineman
* Ed Reed, free safety
* Ray Rice, running back
* Terrell Suggs, outside linebacker
Marshal Yanda, guard

Cincinnati Bengals (1)
A.J. Green, wide receiver

Cleveland Browns (1)
* Joe Thomas, tackle

Denver Broncos (3)
* Champ Bailey, cornerback
Elvis Dumervil, defensive end
* Von Miller, outside linebacker

Houston Texans (2)
Arian Foster, running back
Johnathan Joseph, cornerback

Indianapolis Colts (1)
* Dwight Freeney, defensive end

Jacksonville Jaguars (1)
Maurice Jones-Drew, running back

Kansas City Chiefs (2)
Tamba Hali, outside linebacker
Derrick Johnson, inside/middle linebacker

Miami Dolphins (2)
* Jake Long, tackle
Brandon Marshall, wide receiver

New England Patriots (8)
* Tom Brady, quarterback
* Andre Carter, defensive end
* Rob Gronkowski, tight end
* Logan Mankins, guard
Matthew Slater, special-teamer
* Brian Waters, guard
* Wes Welker, wide receiver
* Vince Wilfork, interior lineman

N.Y. Jets (3)
D'Brickashaw Ferguson, tackle
Nick Mangold, center
* Darrelle Revis, cornerback

Oakland Raiders (3)
Sebastian Janikowski, place-kicker
Shane Lechler, punter
Richard Seymour, interior lineman

Pittsburgh Steelers (5)
Antonio Brown, kick returner
* Troy Polamalu, strong safety
* Maurkice Pouncey, center
Ben Roethlisberger, quarterback
* Mike Wallace, wide receiver

San Diego Chargers (3)
Antonio Gates, tight end
Philip Rivers, quarterback
Eric Weddle, free safety

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NFC TEAM-BY-TEAM

Arizona Cardinals (3)
* Larry Fitzgerald, wide receiver
Patrick Peterson, kick returner
* Adrian Wilson, strong safety

Atlanta Falcons (1)
Tony Gonzalez, tight end

Carolina Panthers (2)
* Ryan Kalil, center
Steve Smith, wide receiver

Chicago Bears (5)
Lance Briggs, outside linebacker