Welcome to Collingwood, Derek Hine

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

How long has he been at Collingwood?
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
JamesJ

Post by JamesJ »

Hine has been very average (as average as Buckley has been) in the last 3 years so he won't be a great loss.

You will find that Jason Taylor made Derek Hine. Taylor went to Melbourne in 2012 and since then our drafting has been diabolical and theirs has been great.

There needs to be an external review of the football department at the end of the year. Every position including the new coach has to be looked at.
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

Hine is not the messiah people seem to think he is.

Look at the kennedy, Grundy, broomhead draft as an example!
Beware the swooping Magpie.
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

JamesJ wrote:Hine has been very average (as average as Buckley has been) in the last 3 years so he won't be a great loss.

You will find that Jason Taylor made Derek Hine. Taylor went to Melbourne in 2012 and since then our drafting has been diabolical and theirs has been great.

There needs to be an external review of the football department at the end of the year. Every position including the new coach has to be looked at.
I wouldn't call drafting Dawes, Harry and Kennedy great
CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

I shall take your word on the Taylor issue.
Melbourne have certainly recruited superbly in recent years.
JamesJ

Post by JamesJ »

CarringbushCigar wrote:I shall take your word on the Taylor issue.
Melbourne have certainly recruited superbly in recent years.
Jason Taylor was basically the person who spotted Beams in QLD and followed up with him for years. Is a chapter on it in one of Emma Quyales draft books. Beams is the last A Grader we have drafted.
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

Dark Beanie wrote:How long has he been at Collingwood?
Hine took over from Noel Judkins with his first draft in the year 2005 I think.
I have wrote plenty of posts on Hine and Judkins, can't be bothered going back over the details.
But there is plenty of conjecture about exactly when he took over.
Judkins came from Essendon and Hine was one of Judkins contacts or scouts.
Anyway, everybody knows my thoughts on Hine.
we don't eat our own at collingwood we just allow them to foul our nest.
Darkstranger

Re: Rumour - Derek Hine to Richmond

Post by Darkstranger »

CarringbushCigar wrote:Looks like Pert and Maguire are shafting another premiership hero in order to cover up our coach's appalling people skills. 2016 may be remembered for the exit of Hine Cloke and Brown and retaining the most failed coach in the history of our football club.

It's a disgrace.
Yeah that's exactly what's happening with Collingwood - funny you only post to bag the club in particular Buckley & Eddie, are you ok? do you need a hug?

if I was going to shake the club up - Hine (chief recruiter) would be the first person I'd look at!
There is Collingwood and then the rest.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 90 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Darkstranger wrote:
CarringbushCigar wrote:Looks like Pert and Maguire are shafting another premiership hero in order to cover up our coach's appalling people skills. 2016 may be remembered for the exit of Hine Cloke and Brown and retaining the most failed coach in the history of our football club.

It's a disgrace.
Yeah that's exactly what's happening with Collingwood - funny you only post to bag the club in particular Buckley & Eddie, are you ok? do you need a hug?

if I was going to shake the club up - Hine (chief recruiter) would be the first person I'd look at!
Agreed.
mattys123

Post by mattys123 »

If he has another club lined up already then he isn't being shafted, if anything he's choosing to leave.
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

mattys123 wrote:If he has another club lined up already then he isn't being shafted, if anything he's choosing to leave.
Well Hine once said "I get the cattle but it is up to the Club to turn them out."
Maybe he is unhappy the way his prized picks have been trained up.
Just saying but I wouldn't know.
JamesJ

Post by JamesJ »

mattys123 wrote:If he has another club lined up already then he isn't being shafted, if anything he's choosing to leave.
Or he has seen the writing on the wall when Gubby came in.
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

JamesJ wrote:
Or he has seen the writing on the wall when Gubby came in.
yes, it maybe is this.
I wonder if we ever will know the right reason.
But he has to leave first for any speculation to turn into fact.
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

Is Hine good at his job or not? I don't know. Much as I take the same position about Buckley, it is because of the injury situation. If Scharenberg, Broomhead, Young and Freeman et al all had a couple of years of good consistent football behind them we may know the answer. I can't explain Russell, Armstrong or Golds though.
CarringbushCigar
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by CarringbushCigar »

Darkstranger wrote:

It's a disgrace.

I'm fine thanks. I'm hardly critical of Eddie apart from the Buckley extensions and social club issues and his knock down dock lands plan. Hardly on my pat Malone on these issues.

I'm a fan of Langdon pre hairstyle
I love Maynard and Ramsay
I like Grundy smith and Crocker
Broomy seeds and bk have potentially been mismanaged
Freeman and Shazz unknowns
I'd suggest his strike rate with high draft picks is still right up there