The ball tampering saga

For all sporting topics - news, discussion, score updates etc. - other than Aussie Rules and Premier League Soccer.

Moderators: pies4ever, bbmods

Donny
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 25 times

The ball tampering saga

Post by Donny »

Cam Bancroft LOOKS to be in big trouble.

Cameras 'caught' him seemingly hiding something in his undies after handling the ball.

The Comms don't know exactly what will happen. The after days play Presser could be explosive.

One even suggesting the 'team leadership' (Smith/Boof) could be implicated.

More when I know more.
Last edited by Donny on Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

Just woke up to the news - in 40+ years of watching Test cricket.. I've never seen anything like this from an Australian side before - Steve Smith should be sacked immediately, heads must roll. I'm still struggling to believe this is actually happening. Shame shame shame shame.
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

K wrote:No, P4S, I think he means the ball tampering.
Exactly K. I already knew our batting line up was sub standard and they didn't pick the right team. Picked we'd lose this series 3-1 weeks ago.

My head is still spinning from what happened last night, these people are a disgrace and should never be allowed to represent Australia again. I feel for Bancroft because he was just trying to be one of the lads, and obviously wasn't smart enough to tell them that what they were asking him to do was a blight on the game, but I can understand how a young fellow like that would be aiming to please his seniors.

Both Smith and Lehmann to be sacked, never to represent Australia again - nothing short of that is acceptable.
KenH

Post by KenH »

I hope we go on and lose this test and the series disgusting behavior by the Aussies. Smith needs to step down immediately!
Cheers big ears
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

He shouldn't be given the chance - clearly he should never represent Australia in any form of cricket ever again
Redcraze

Post by Redcraze »

First: Ball tampering is wrong and I would sack the captain.
Second: Am I correct in remembering that England, South Africa and Pakistan have all been caught ball tampering?
Third: It has been becoming very difficult, for quite a while, to support the Australian cricket team with any enthusiasm. The latest news just confirms that I am quite right to care a lot more about Tassie's efforts in the Shield than about Test cricket at all (I don't give a rat's clacker about hit-and-giggle cricket in any format).
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

^^^
Off the top of my head, I recall immediately M. Atherton, Faf d P, and Rahul Dravid for starters, all clearly caught on camera tampering with the ball.

At the very least, Smith needs to lose the captaincy immediately, even if there's a problem trying to come up with a half-sensible choice of interim captain.

The whole sport seems to have become morally bankrupt. How sad.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

None of them ever used foreign objects i.e the tape, mixed with sand to simulate sand paper.

This is by far and away the worst incident I've ever seen or heard of (other than match fixing, but that's another kettle of fish). Worse then picking at the seam or even having a bit of sand in your hand.

Its going to cost Lehmann his job, and Smith his career.
K

Post by K »

Athers, I think, was just sand or dirt in his pocket. Rahul was a lolly of some sort applied directly on the ball... I haven't seen the video of this latest one yet...

What is known about Lehmann's involvement or non-involvement?
Redcraze

Post by Redcraze »

Smith explicitly said the coach was not involved. But why should we believe him?
K

Post by K »

The only thing possibly related I read is some walkie-talkie & 12th-man stuff. Is that on video? I'm not sure what one might be able to tell from that, though.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

WTF, is that true? If so, it's one of the most shameful acts in Australian sporting history. All concerned have to be looking at very long penalties. Smith, unfathomably, has just thrown away his career and reputation, and pushed a kid under a bus.

Losing the captaincy is insufficient; being captain ought to stiffen the penalty, not cushion the blow.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Smith should loose his Captaincy and Probably should never play for Australia Again and Same with Bancroft and who else was involved with this
I am Da Man
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

feel a tad sorry for Bancroft, peer pressure and all,

and Smith, well he says if he hadnt been caught hes still feel really bad so!

sack him, just as with should have happened with james turd, should never be allowed on a sporting arena again. ever. for any reason.
scum
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Get out of South Africa, the place is bad juju.

Cricket lost credibility years ago when it failed to crack down on bad behaviour, ball tampering etc. from various teams including Aussies.

Sport in general has been twisted by money and the win at all costs mentality.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome