The ball tampering saga

For all sporting topics - news, discussion, score updates etc. - other than Aussie Rules and Premier League Soccer.

Moderators: pies4ever, bbmods

Donny
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Donny »

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:Apparently everyone is getting off scot free, apart from Smiths' captaincy - well thats me done for test cricket.... simply unbelievable
'scot free' ??

Warner & Smith will lose, bigtime. Both stand to lose their lucrative IPL contracts. Both were captains of IPL teams and were to be paid $2 mill.+

On top of also probably losing their CA contracts, their sponsors will not want to be associated with them.

All up, they stand to lose around $5 million, each. AND that's just for this year.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

K wrote:
K wrote:...
... Marcus Trescothick in his autobiography, about using mints to shine up the ball: "For the first time, as I dived to gather the ball at square-leg, I landed on my side and a shower of Murray Mints spewed out of my trouser pocket all over the grass right in front of the umpire. Fortunately, neither he nor the two batsmen seemed to take much notice as I scrambled around on all fours trying desperately to gather in the sweets before they started asking awkward questions."
A bit more on Michael Vaughan's Ashes-winning cheating:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/7579005.stm

It's astonishing that people with his history are so vocal now about other people's behaviour. Presumably this indicates that in a couple of decades, we shall have the pleasure of seeing Dave Warner in the media denouncing the alleged cheating of future players who are currently in their nappies. (Again, this assumes that Vaughan et al. have not destroyed the game before then.)
Typical of the whinging pommie cricketers to shoot their mouths off without knowing any of the facts. Three people were found responsible for ball tampering - Smith, Warner and Bancroft. All three have been sent home. That's the end of the matter as far as I'm concerned. Three good replacements have been sent to SA - Renshaw, Burns and Maxwell. They should acquit themselves well and hopefully the team unites around the new players. I hope Warner never plays for Australia again. The other two should be allowed to work their way back into the team after a period of penance.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

They be lucky to get a Game with there Local Side after there Suspensions
I am Da Man
Donny

Post by Donny »

Donny wrote:
On top of also probably losing their CA contracts, their sponsors will not want to be associated with them.
LG has pulled Warner's contract, already.
Donny.

Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

and Also his Indian Team has Cancelled his Contract
I am Da Man
Donny

Post by Donny »

Breaking.

Warner & Smith - 12 months ban.

Bancroft - 9 month ban.
Donny.

Donny

Post by Donny »

Donny.

Donny

Post by Donny »

Dave The Man wrote:and Also his Indian Team has Cancelled his Contract
Both Smith and Warner elected to stand down as IPL captains.

Where did you hear/read their contracts were 'cancelled', Dave ?
Donny.

Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Donny

Post by Donny »

^ "Up to 15 people knew" ??

So, Johnno, you know this but Sutherland & co. don't ?
Donny.

Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Donny

Post by Donny »

I'm not telling you anything about Lehmann.

You mentioned "up to 15 people knew". A rumour.

This 'Lehmann must've known' stuff is based on assumptions. Like: The dressing room is pretty small. Surely, this plot cannot have been hatched by just 3 men in a corner. Boof must've known.

He's the coach. Nothing says he has to be with the team for every minute of the lunch break. Some other ex-player mentioned there's nothing unusual about 2 or 3 players chatting, by themselves. in the dressing room.
Donny.

K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

Johnno75 wrote:... It is allegedly Warner who contrived the whole plan and he still might open his big mouth and throw a few others under the bus.
If Warner is at war with the rest of the team, he may well try to throw some under the bus. But, for the same reason, it's not clear that he would not try to throw innocent people under the bus.

The "everyone must have known" argument seems a huge assumption about how teams operate. It's worth pondering how true that is in general about anything, good or bad, legal or illegal, within a sporting team. What has come to mind is players' struggles with depression and mental health. I think that problem, or at least its full extent, has often been unknown by teammates. One can argue about whether something like that is easier or harder to hide.

On the other hand, players past and current arguing "everyone must have known" may really be revealing that "when my team cheated in the same way we all knew". I've been astounded by the aggressively vocal behaviour of known ball-tamperer Michael Vaughan in all this. It has been a genuine psychological puzzle (but I have some thoughts on this for a separate comment). Of course, another aspect indicated by the word "known" is that there may be some who knew something was going on, disapproved, did not participate, but did not act to try to stop it. I wonder how culpable people think such passive actors are.
K

Post by K »

K

Post by K »