The ball tampering saga

For all sporting topics - news, discussion, score updates etc. - other than Aussie Rules and Premier League Soccer.

Moderators: pies4ever, bbmods

Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Not sure why people find it implausible that Lehmann did not know? How is that so unbelievable? :?

The bans seem fair and reasonable, pretty much what I was expecting.

Suggestions of life bans are way OTT.
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
Culprit
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Culprit »

^^ I wanted a life ban, not based on the offence but based on stupidity. To think they would not be caught deserves a life time ban.
Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

I mean Warner is a head case and he would take a hacksaw to the ball while fielding at cover and would think he wouldn't get caught. I fell sorry for Bancroft as he was chosen as the bunny by Warner and he may not have wanted to do it to begin with but you do you go up against Warner and Smith.

But Smith is the real surprise here, how he could have thought they would have gotten away with it is beyond belief. He should have shut it down the minute Warner opened his mouth.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:Not sure why people find it implausible that Lehmann did not know? How is that so unbelievable? :?
Apart from the "everyone must have known" non-argument, I think they have drawn conclusions from the walkie-talkie-Handscomb footage. The defence claim, however, is that he said, "What the f*** is going on?" (rather than, say, "F***! We've been sprung").
K

Post by K »

Johnno75 wrote:..
But Smith is the real surprise here, how he could have thought they would have gotten away with it is beyond belief. He should have shut it down the minute Warner opened his mouth.
Well, there's more than a passing resemblance to Heater in Smith. (There are actually even some similarities in their faces or facial expressions.) Everybody knows Smith has had a host of weird tics, etc. at the crease, but until recently haven't thought about what racing thoughts or non-thoughts go through his mind.

P.S. Here's a graphic of some of the past ball-tampering incidents:
https://d2kmm3vx031a1h.cloudfront.net/3 ... _image.png
I notice that it has some missing (e.g. Rahul), even if we regard it as restricted to incidents that were punished by the ICC.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Donny wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:and Also his Indian Team has Cancelled his Contract
Both Smith and Warner elected to stand down as IPL captains.

Where did you hear/read their contracts were 'cancelled', Dave ?
Fox Sports News
I am Da Man
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Culprit wrote:^^ I wanted a life ban, not based on the offence but based on stupidity. To think they would not be caught deserves a life time ban.
Good Chance any of them won't play for Australia Again
I am Da Man
K

Post by K »

Dave The Man wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:and Also his Indian Team has Cancelled his Contract
Fox Sports News
It seems that the decision comes from the BCCI, not the franchise bosses.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... d-ipl-2018

"The BCCI hopes that the cricketers participating in the IPL hold the highest regard for the Spirit of Cricket and Code of Conduct for Players and Match Officials."

What a joke that statement is. The BCCI has been a driving force in destroying the game. And Mr. Stokes will be merrily participating in the IPL 2018.

Strong penalties are great. But when they are so selectively chosen, there is a huge problem. And when the lynch mob is led by those guilty of the same sins or worse (and sometimes rewarded for those sins), all notions of truth and justice are mocked.
Piethagoras' Theorem

K wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:Not sure why people find it implausible that Lehmann did not know? How is that so unbelievable? :?
Apart from the "everyone must have known" non-argument, I think they have drawn conclusions from the walkie-talkie-Handscomb footage. The defence claim, however, is that he said, "What the f*** is going on?" (rather than, say, "F***! We've been sprung").
It's difficult to draw any conclusion from that video with Darren's hands covering his mouth and the deadpan expression. Handscomb does appear to say the words "**** off..", probably more in disbelief and displeasure at having to break the news to Bancroft that he'd just been caught on camera playing funny buggers. I'm fairly comfortable with Lehmann's version of events
Piethagoras' Theorem

Dave The Man wrote:
Culprit wrote:^^ I wanted a life ban, not based on the offence but based on stupidity. To think they would not be caught deserves a life time ban.
Good Chance any of them won't play for Australia Again
I doubt that very much, Dave. In fact I would bet my untampered balls we'll at least see Smith representing Australia in summer '2019/20. Warner, I'm not sure, I think most people have had enough of him. Bancroft still has youth on his side.
K

Post by K »

Donny
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Donny »

Vaughan, Trescothic, Inzamam's ball polisher, Atherton, du Plessis .........

One thing this ugly episode will achieve: There'll be at least one camera trained on the 'ball polisher' of every fielding team, for every second, from now on.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

SuperSport who are covering the current series in South Africa have 30 cameras covering the play, 7 are fixed on the ball at all times whether it is in play or not.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Donny

Post by Donny »

Aha. Thanks, Johnno. :)

Has that been the case in previous series ?
Donny.

Donny

Post by Donny »

Warner:

"To cricket fans in Australia and all over the world: I am currently on my way to Sydney. Mistakes have been made which have damaged cricket," Warner said via a statement on Twitter. I apologise for my part and take responsibility for it. I understand the distress this has caused to the sport and its fans. It's a stain on the game we all love and I have loved since I was a boy. I need to take a deep breath and spend time with my family, friends and trusted advisors. You will hear from me in a few days."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... stain-game
Donny.