Gun laws in USA??

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Of 27 mass shooters, 26 grew up in Fatherless homes.

Once you start looking down that rabbit hole it gets pretty scary.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/markmeckl ... ng-common/
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Wokko wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Jezza wrote:Last time I checked, Kavanaugh hasn't been prosecuted for any crimes.

It was a character assassination.
Why would a person with a professorship who was well regarded do this to herself?
Because Kavanaugh was going to tilt the Supreme Court conservative, his nomination was something that every leftist was railing and fighting against. There were attempts to smear him or find scandals from the moment he was nominated. The tactic then became to delay his nomination in hopes of taking the Senate in the mid terms.

Instead they found a man of impeccable character who had consistently hired female law clerks and sent a record number of female lawyers to clerk with Supreme Court justices. Even liberal women considered him a Mentor..........
Yeah nah, no.

My argument was about one woman who testified (I assume to say that the good Judge was not of good character as he raped her in the past - in her exprerience ). She was not on trial.

Yes of course it is true she couyldn't find anyone to support her reported experience of being raped by a drunken ?teenage Kavanagh. She wasn't arguing about his chararer since the rape or his conduct as a Judge and as you put it mentor to others.

She tesitifed that she was raped by him and another male held her down. Others supported her view that he was a drunken jock who did what he did. Many including Fox at the time said her evidence was credible.

This is a professor who has a good job and social standing. It beggars belief that she would jeopardize that to be ridiculed, abused, and shamed in front of an all male ? congressional republican ?enquiry. It doesn't pass the pub test.

And I know you know how hard it is for women to prove being raped.

Your link to say even liberal woman supported Kavanagh is a red herring as this woman was not reflecting on K's experience as an adult or a lawyer but her experience of him as a teeenager. The woman you linked to was the the author of Tiger Mum's: I don't know how much of a liberal she is ( as an aside and amongst other things I deal with the children whose parents create anxiety by their high expectations foistered on their children: the amoount of suicidal doctors, engineers, and pharmacists amongst others is surprizingly high - almost all are from Chinese heritage). I doubt very much this woman is a liberal.

There was a good link (but I've used my free allowance to a Vanity Fair article which analysed what she experienced through the republican process of vetting her information. However this article in the Washington Post neatly summarized her plight and the scenario:

"...Earlier this summer, Christine Blasey Ford wrote a confidential letter to a senior Democratic lawmaker alleging that Supreme Court nominee Brett M. Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her more than three decades ago, when they were high school students in suburban Maryland. Since Wednesday, she has watched as that bare-bones version of her story became public without her name or her consent...",

"...She engaged Debra Katz, a Washington lawyer known for her work on sexual harassment cases. On the advice of Katz, who said she believed Ford would be attacked as a liar if she came forward, Ford took a polygraph test administered by a former FBI agent in early August. The results, which Katz provided to The Post, concluded that Ford was being truthful when she said a statement summarizing her allegations was accurate...."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... 9dfe61692c

In short she had a lie detector. The computer said no: she did not lie. Did Kavanaugh have a lie detector test? (I'm not saying he has to but that wouyld help)

Now treating women as equals is not the same as placing women on pedestals - I understand that can be hard for some right wing males to understand.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

watt price tully wrote:... ( ... I deal with the children whose parents create anxiety by their high expectations foistered on their children: the amoount of suicidal doctors, engineers, and pharmacists amongst others is surprizingly high ...). ...
Do you mean the "bad" parenting is driving the children to suicide even in adulthood? (Young adulthood, such as 20s or 30s, or older adulthood, such as 40s, 50s?)

* This is a recycled DP.
Last edited by K on Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

watt price tully wrote:
Wokko wrote:
watt price tully wrote:...
Still not the "correct" thread (what does that person have to do with guns?), but I'm glad this discussion has moved away from the thread in which I was posting. I'll recycle my posts mentioning that person in that thread for more thread-appropriate matters.

The question is: what past behaviour or current temperament, if any, should disqualify one from specific jobs? (e.g. is it sufficient that some job applicant has not been charged in the past with criminal offences? That is certainly not the way AFL recruiters view their draft choices.)
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Guns have been around for ages, society has changed.

Australia always had stricter gun laws than the USA, we always had limits on fully automatic rifles and handguns, yet we'd had access to semi automatic rifles for decades without major incidents until the 80's.

Then we had Hoddle St and Queen St in Vic, a few others in other states, and the straw that broke the camels back being Port Arthur
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

And we stopped those things happening by putting semi-automatic weaponry in the hands of young children.
stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

I had access to semi automatic weaponry from the time I could walk. Dad wasn't great on gun safety.

I haven't killed anyone.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Skids »

And we have people shooting people on a weekly basis in Australia...

Only the delusional will tell you that gun laws work... if I wanted to shoot someone, I could have a glok in my hands before your head hits the pillow tonight.

That's a fact.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Try it.
David

Post by David »