ODI World Cup.

For all sporting topics - news, discussion, score updates etc. - other than Aussie Rules and Premier League Soccer.

Moderators: pies4ever, bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Warner is POTUS.

Or something.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

Are you referring to Davey's popularity?
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Any Australian batsman who scores a century when none of the players batting for us at 3 to 11 can break 30 is popular with me.

So, on reflection, Warner, Finch, Khawaja, Smith, Maxwell, ?, Carey, Cummins, Starc, ?, ? is our best lineup. I can't help thinking that we need to try the other Marsh as an all-rounder. I'm not sure whether his bowling is good enough (actually, I'm reasonably confident it isn't) but we need to try to improve that leaky attack. I suppose I take the view that he's probably no worse a bat than his brother and he might be able to add to the attack, especially in conditions that give the medium pacers a little more assistance.

I leave Marsh out because I just think he has a habit of wasting too many balls, getting set and not going on with it when he must. Today was a classic case - the openers both did great jobs but no-one else got comfortable at the crease, except him. If he hadn't had a brain implosion when he did - and had tried to play to the situation of that game, Australia probably would have reached 330 to 350, even with the dumb collapse. Instead, he batted for 45 minutes, looked OK and then suddenly threw his hand away, thereby opening up the lower middle order. I suppose one could say that he was the next top-scorer and should stay - but the difference between good teams and bad ones is that the batsmen in the good ones take their chances on the days when they get set.
K

Post by K »

India v. NZ could be washed out too!

The toss has been delayed.

Pre-game odds: India 66%, NZ 34%.

Weather forecast:

Time Precip Humidity
11.15 15% 90%
12pm 20% 87%
1pm 35% 84%
2pm 60% 83%
3pm 65% 82%
4pm 55% 81%
5pm 35% 83%
6pm 25% 85%
K

Post by K »

World Cup weather watch

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... y-scenario

Dave Richardson: "Up to 1200 people are on site to deliver a match and everything associated with it including getting it broadcast and a proportion of them are moving around the country so reserve days in the group stage would require a significant uplift in the number of staff. We have reserve days factored in for the knockout stages, knowing that over the course of 45 group games we should play the large majority."

ICC refunds policy: "If the game is a complete abandonment, then you will be entitled to your money back. In fact, if you see 15 overs or less ..., it is still a full refund; between 15.1 and 29.5 overs of play, then 50% of the ticket price will be returned."
K

Post by K »

cricinfo says the cut-off time is 4.15pm. It'll be called off before then.

It's fortunate no Oz games have been washed out. Our guys need as much game time as possible to work out who to play, given the huge holes in both batting and bowling.

I wonder if they'll give Behrendorff & Lyon a go next game.
K

Post by K »

Why can't other boards take a cue from SLC to tackle rain?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... ackle-rain

"The Sri Lankan cricket board might be world leaders at something. Try not to snigger. ... Year after year, SLC hosts series in months afflicted by storms that unload lakefuls of water into their stadia, and emit cracks of thunder that shake the spine. The run of rainy weather England has seen over the past week has been unfortunate. But it is no tropical monsoon.

No full tour of Sri Lanka goes by without a rain interruption, and to watch Sri Lanka's groundstaff - the fastest in the world - in action, is practically its own form of entertainment. The pitch is first covered by a rubberised tarpaulin, before two more are heaped on top of that, a team of over 100 working in unison to ensure less than a minute's worth of rain falls on the square. Once the centre is protected, the staff break into separate crews, a supervisor calling out instructions, and the remainder of the playing area is enveloped before 10 further minutes, at most.

The clear advantage that covering the entire playing area yields over, say, merely having good drainage, is the speed with which a ground can be readied the moment rain stops. Within an hour, play has often resumed.

In the last four years, Sri Lanka has hosted 73 internationals. Only two of those games - both ODIs - have ended in no-results. There have been no drawn Tests in the island since 2014. It's difficult to argue with those results."
K

Post by K »

Pre-game odds:

England 72%, WIndies 28%
Sri Lanka 17%, Oz 83%
S Africa 83%, Afghanistan 17%
India 68%, Pakistan 32%
WIndies 66%, Bangladesh 34%
K

Post by K »

Are WI a bit more likely than those odds?
eureka

Post by eureka »

seams to be more wash outs then actual play been played in this world cup a lot of match abandoned
eureka

Post by eureka »

tips for the coming games are
windies just
oz easy
south Africa just
india easy
Bangladesh just
K

Post by K »

England win toss, field.
Are they scared of the WIndies fast bowlers?

For WI, Russell is in.
For England, again no Moeen.

Line: 286.5 runs.
K

Post by K »

Woakes opens with a maiden.

Then Archer opens WI's account with a wide.
K

Post by K »

Woakes bowls Lewis. Looks like a good toss to win.

WI 1/4 (3).
K

Post by K »

Gayle (15* from 20 balls) is playing according to his stereotype.
He has three 4s and three singles.

And now he's away, after being dropped.
34* (30). Five 4s, one 6.

WI riding their luck a bit. And Roy has done his hamstring.