4th. Ashes Test. Manchester.

For all sporting topics - news, discussion, score updates etc. - other than Aussie Rules and Premier League Soccer.

Moderators: pies4ever, bbmods

Donny
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Donny »

5/274.

Smith 118*, Paine 19*.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Smith out .....on a no ball. F*cking brilliant: up yours Poms. (shame it wans't Archer or Broad)

The booing when the smug Poms though he was out: what a disgrace
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Donny

Post by Donny »

5/309.

Smith 139*, Paine 32*.
Donny.

Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Jezza »

Outstanding performance by Smith.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

David Gower was quite amusing saying Steve Smith has made it to "the nervous one hundred and forties" - having said that & as I'm about to go to bed at 00:03 hours EAST the Poms have changed their line while Smith is 143 and the Aussies are 5 for 318
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

Lloyd: "England look to be struggling. I think Ben Stokes is done. I think he's injured. He's coming off the field."

He's gone off after 5 deliveries, having bowled a tame bouncer that Smith ducked with his new bouncer-ducking technique.

Leach will finish his over. Recall that Stokes finished Archer's over in the previous Test. Maybe Leach will be the next one to break down.

"Come on, Leachy," croaks Bairstow.
K

Post by K »

Oz 5/334 (91).
Smith 147*, Paine 49*.

Rain? There are umbrellas up. There's some wind, but not with yesterday's force.

Lloyd sounds like he's enjoying this, because he continue his long-running joke about asking random commoners, "How do you get Smith out?"

Now sun.
K

Post by K »

Isa: "Jofra Archer then. He'll bowl with the cross-breeze."

Smith reaches 151* (237), pulling a 83.8 mph ball through midwicket. This is slow, slow bowling.

Lloyd: "Joe Root has just asked Jofra Archer to bowl around the wicket" (to Paine). "And he didn't look too pleased."

Dharmasena signals and says "two". He's bowled two bouncers for the over.

Paine pulls straight and Sam Curran drops him.

Paine is a compulsive hooker now. He has to reassess how he plays. He looked happy to be dropped, but relying on fielders to drop you is not a good batting strategy.
K

Post by K »

Overton bowls full and wide and Smith reaches out and hits a 4.

Lloyd: "That's a buffet ball. Help yourself."

There have been four missed chances at least. They replay three of them.

How a spinner (Leach) can bowl a no ball I don't know. It does cover up Smith yet again bungling against left-arm orthodox bowling that is reliable but not world-beating.
K

Post by K »

Nasser criticises Paine pulling the pull out. He says he's got to 49* putting it away and now he he's trying to pull.

They need to grind England into the dirt here, which they failed to do in their second innings last Test.

Nasser says the news on Stokes is that he has a shoulder problem.

----------------------------

Smith hits the half-volley from Overton straight on the on side for 4. Again, it's off the back foot. He does not appear to hit anything on the front foot, and England don't have an idea how they might exploit that.

Ponting says Overton needs another fielder on the off side, if they want him to bowl full outside off. Otherwise, he'll start bowling to where he has protection, which is currently on the leg side. Nasser agrees.

Smith hooks a short ball and it bounces before the fielder. He was not in full control of that.

Ponting tells us Paine has played 16 dot balls on 49*.

Ponting: "If you want to challenge the outside edge, you've got to have protection for it."
K

Post by K »

Bairstow is hit on the thumb. He's in pain.

Now the batsmen take two, and Broad slips over.

Ponting thinks they would have been in a bit of trouble if he'd taken it without slipping over.

Nasser: "It is very slippery." It looks damp and muddy, almost like a rugby pitch.

Meanwhile, Paine hits a 4. He's now 56*.

-----------------------------

The England physio is out to tape up Bairstow's thumb. He already has stuff on his third and fourth fingers of his right hand. Nasser says Buttler could take over over tea. He says Burns used to be a keeper-batsman too.
K

Post by K »

Denly for the last over. Paine on strike.

Nasser: "There'll be drift on this breeze."

After the single, Smith hits a straight drive off the back foot through midwicket for 4. Not a good ball, but this is a part-time bowler.

Oz 5/369. Tea.

Nasser: "No wickets for England that session. They had their chances, and they fluffed them."

Taylor: "It's been a strange performance from England. ... I think some of their tactics have been strange too."

Lisa on Smith: "He's actually played better since he was out. ... It's good to see he's past the nervous 140s."

Taylor says he doesn't get tired of batting or embarrassed.

Lisa says Jack Leach has been bowling well to him.

Taylor: "I think they were struggling before that. ... The last straw..."

Taylor says if Roy had taken the first chance Paine gave (off Broad), Oz could have been bowled out for 300.

Lisa says this is a danger period for England now. She rattles off a list of England injuries and problems.
Last edited by K on Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Donny

Post by Donny »

5/369. Tea.

Smith 173*, Paine 58*. 145 run p'ship.
Donny.

K

Post by K »

The two dismissals today weren't good batting.

Taylor says Head was playing across the line when he was LBW.

Wade's spot in the team must be in danger.

Healy thinks Stokes has done his glute, though England claim it's a shoulder injury.

Mel tells us Leach has bowled a total of 13 no balls out of 15000 in first-class cricket.

Healy: "It's a very good pitch."
K

Post by K »

Overton gets Paine caught behind first ball after tea. :(

Oz 6/369 (101.1). Cummins in.

Taylor: "A regulation dismissal. That's how you get batsmen out in Test cricket."

Bad-boy Overton grabbed his back after the wicket. Let's hope he's injured too.

Cummins glances for 4.