2011 NFL thread - a jackspain celebration

For all sporting topics - news, discussion, score updates etc. - other than Aussie Rules and Premier League Soccer.

Moderators: pies4ever, bbmods

Yarra Falls End

Post by Yarra Falls End »

Not sure if the result makes us Packers and 49ers fans want to laugh or cry.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Yarra Falls End wrote:Not sure if the result makes us Packers and 49ers fans want to laugh or cry.
Well, I still haven't got over the Pack missing out on going back to back in '98, so I guess I'll bear this latest grudge for a while.

On the one hand, it doesn't hurt quite as much as it might have otherwise because Green Bay snatched one themselves last year by being the best team when it counted, rather than the best over the season. On the other hand, I am left bemused contemplating what it means that Eli Manning has won as many Superbowls as Peyton and No 4 put together.

Meanwhile, I understand that Mrs Brady has been quoted as saying words to the effect that "Tom only throws them - he can't [f word] catch them as well", so it's obviously not all well in New England just now, either.
jack_spain

Post by jack_spain »

Damn. Yet another Patriots choke. :roll:

Tom Brady has lost his mojo. Time to gogo!
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

jack_spain wrote:Damn. Yet another Patriots choke. :roll:

No, his receivers dropped a couple of catches they simply had to make towards the end, his go-to man all season (Gronkowski) couldn't run effectively because of his ankle (and was thus a non-influence) and the Giants' punter did a magnificent job of pinning Brady back deep at the start of each drive.

Add to that the failure of the Pats' defence to get off the field (Eli had the ball for almost an entire quarter more than Brady over the course of the game - possession was about 37 minutes to about 23 minutes in favour of the Giants, IIRC) and the result was inevitable.

Actually, in the middle part of the game (when Brady moved down the field for a TD either side of half-time), I thought the Pats might win the game despite all of that. Ultimately, I think there were too many other negatives and Brady couldn't overcome them. I'm with Mrs Brady on this one. :lol:

I was hoping the Giants would win, so these are not the observations of a Brady-fan looking for excuses.

I think there's life in the old dog, yet (but you should take that observation with a grain of salt because, as everyone knows, I privately want the Pack to release Rodgers and start next year with a retired, 43 year old former QB who played 19 seasons and won only one SB). :oops:
OEP

Post by OEP »

Eli Manning isn't an elite QB, yet. An elite QB would've taken that 3rd rate Patriots secondary apart to the tune of 35 to 40 points given the amount of time he had the ball and the (often) great field position.

Put Brady, Brees, or A-Rod in that position and it's "lights out".

On Brady he was the victim of his receivers bad hands. While his wife was out of order for saying what she did in a public forum effectively she's right.

I could go into a lot more detail regarding the game itself, the Patriots strategy of using the two TE's coupled with the rule changes making it safer for players to float across the middle of the field....BUT....I can't be @#$%ed because apart from the last few minuted the game was a fizzer and given the low standard of play my 9ers could've belted either team, as could've the Ravens.

Bring on the draft :D
A Collingwood supporter since the egg was inseminated.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Hines Ward has been released by the Steelers after 14 years. Sad news - he has been a credit to the game.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76312 ... d-released

I'm not saying I agree with the assessment but he was recently rated at number 8 among current players in ESPN's NFL any era selections. That was 1 place above Aaron Rodgers. Lynn Swann obviously really rates him and that is serious praise: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/74036 ... hines-ward
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Who will get RG3 in the Draft?
I am Da Man
Woods Of Ypres
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

Dave The Man wrote:Who will get RG3 in the Draft?
good question Dave, the Rams have the second pick but they dont need a quarterback, i am guessing they would trade the pick. my guess is he will end up at the Redskins
OEP

Post by OEP »

Roddy wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:Who will get RG3 in the Draft?
good question Dave, the Rams have the second pick but they dont need a quarterback, i am guessing they would trade the pick. my guess is he will end up at the Redskins
Rumours are that the Dolphins are looking to trade up to get RG3. Given the state of their QB roster I wouldn't be surprised.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

I thought they wanted Flynn?
OEP

Post by OEP »

So did I, but the latest news is their very interested in trading up for RG3. I think the sticking point will be what the Rams want for the no.2 pick.

Flynn will most likely cost a high second round pick and probably future second or third rounder thrown in (with conditions on which pick being how well Flynn performs).

Given this fact I'd be inclined to target RG3 given his (and Luck's) huuuuuuge potential.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Redskins go after Flynn.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

Well, according to TB's supermodel partner, isn't every loss entirely his teammates' fault?
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Pies4shaw wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
jack_spain wrote:Damn. Yet another Patriots choke. :roll:

I thought that Jacks assessment that Brady needed to go 8 years ago deserved a little bump after the AFC Championship game this morning. 8 AFC Championship games in a row and now off to his third Super Bowl in a row. Mind you, Bradys just had the 2 Super Bowl wins since Jacks Grand pronouncement.
Make that 3 Super Bowl wins since Jack's grand pronouncement.
Make that 4 Super Bowl wins since Jack's grand pronouncement.