Tom Moody to coach Sri Lanka again

For all sporting topics - news, discussion, score updates etc. - other than Aussie Rules and Premier League Soccer.

Moderators: pies4ever, bbmods

Lazza

Tom Moody to coach Sri Lanka again

Post by Lazza »

Sometimes it is a good thing to look back and retrieve a situation that was a success at the time. Sri Lanka has just done that and appointed Tom Moody as Senior coach of the cricket team. In the naughtees, he did well in a very difficult position dominated by political interference and a historical culture that celebrated the success of their cricket team and their government simultaneously and thus political involvement was hard to shake off. A local person literally finds this an impossible task hence the absolute imperative need for a foreigner to coach the team if success is to be achieved ever again.
Therefore appointing Moody for a three year tenure is a very good start. Secondly involving Kumar Sangakkara in the administration of cricket is an inspired choice by the SL board and another superb decision by Aravinda de Silva. It’s early days but at least some optimism is warranted by these positive appointments. Time as always will tell but as a SL cricket fan, I’m very happy at the moment.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

If they can get Murali and that other opener (whose name I've forgotten) out of retirement, they can get the band back together.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Chris Gayle has just been picked to play T20 cricket for the West Indies at age 41 therefore picking Murali at 49 may not be that far fetched
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Donny
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Donny »

Pies4shaw wrote:If they can get Murali and that other opener (whose name I've forgotten) out of retirement, they can get the band back together.
Vaas ?

The Sri Lankan with the shortest surname sure made up for that (or his parents did) by giving him these first names: Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda. :D
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

You're right, Donny - I forgot about Chaminda. He was a great bowler- but I was actually referring to the other one-day opening batsman. I think that was Jayasuriya - his name escaped me when I was responding to Lazza yesterday.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

I think cricket, like life itself, deals with cycles of success and being crap. I think SL is on the cusp of another successful period at the moment. However the entire process for improvement will still take some time, maybe 2 - 3 yrs.
Donny
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Donny »

Losing Jayasuriya, Jayawardene, Murali, Vaas, Sangakkara, Malinga, de Silva and Dilshan, over just a few years, is taking Sri Lanka a long time to recover - understandably.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D