Post Match. Cats down Pies . All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

Raw Hammer wrote:Our one goal in three quarters had nothing to do with football. It was just Grundy deciding that F this sh!t, I’ll do it myself.

One goal in 3 quarters from a boundary throw in by a ruckman who simply decided to grab it and do it himself.

Telling.
Yep and people slag him off!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

shawthing wrote:... They have no chance of winning the flag this year on that form.
They won't always play that badly. You can't maintain top form for 22 games.
K

Post by K »

PyreneesPie wrote:Well, Coxy coming in asap is a must...
But dunno if Cox is available with the larynx injury... :(
Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

Pies2016 wrote:
joemamone@gmail.com wrote:I have had enough of reading how Buckley's plan is not working. I have listened to his post game interviews numerous times. I have heard him say he wants the team to play on, but it is very difficult when you have inept forwards who refuse to lead. This refusal to lead generally has its genesis in one's doubt about his ability to beat his opponent. Hence, players upfield are forced to go sideways and or backwards as they try to retain possession. As Jonathan Brown said "I do not believe that any couch would instruct his players to kick sideways and backwards"- to paraphrase.

I am also amazed how those on this site purport to know what instructions were given to the players unless of course they were present at Buckley's address to the players.

I suspect that the placard on the side of the ground imploring players to take the game on was a desperate attempt to remind the players what they were probably instructed form the outset. But this again is mere speculation on my behalf.

Finally, had the team kicked some of the gettable goals in the first half, the suggestion that the game plan, which so many appear to be apprised of, could not have been critised.

Well I applaud anyone with the courage to voice a different view point right now.
Funnily enough, a lot of posters were keen to quote Johnathon Brown when he said it was the worst ball movement he had seen in last 18 months. And yet no one bothered to add that Brown also said this wouldn’t be Buckley’s instruction. There isn’t a coach alive who would preach slow ball movement but for some reason the players aren’t displaying a desire to move the ball quickly. Maybe it’s the messaging ( clearly the coaches fault ) or maybe it’s the players. I dont know because as you said, I don’t sit on the meetings.
What I do know is that one of the qualities of being a good team is your ability to slow down down an oppositions ball movement.
In our case, we have a very ordinary list profile that is made up of a few past their peak guns and kids that are no where near ready and that’s hardly conducive to slowing down the momentum of any of the good teams going around. Conversely, we struggle to move the quickly because most oppositions have a better 22 than us right now . It could potentially be that simple. Having said that, Buckley has a responsibility for the list profile we currently have at hand.
Im not fussed if Buckley stays or goes ( although a change of assistants is required as a very minimum ) but for anyone to think he plans to move the ball as slow as humanly possible so as the opposition can set up, is ridiculous.
Today was 3rd vs 16th. That says enough to me on today’s outcome.
Blah blah blah. Here’s an idea- show Buckley the door after 10 years as a failed coach and let’s just see how that goes. Thoughts?
K

Post by K »

58pie wrote:... Lumumba has set us back 10 years
Okay, tell us what H has to do with the club's footy problems...
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

doriswilgus wrote:Buckley suggested in his press conference that Pendlebury is carrying some sort of injury^.Maybe that’s the reason for his recent form?
Then Rest Him as been bit of a Liability at the Moment
I am Da Man
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

K wrote:
I thought that 58pie was joking...maybe i was wrong???!!
(It is hard to distinguish between humour and idiocy without the additional information of body language and facial expressions)
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by think positive »

Magpietothemax wrote:I disagree with all those who are already laying off Pendles to pasture. He was not nearly as bad today as they are attempting to portray. He is not at his brilliant best, but he was often a crucial link in our forward play to keep the ball inside F50. P2016 has also explained that he was playing injured today. You just should never dismiss a champion like Pendles in such a light minded manner.
Yep when Bucks was at the end I said the same, poor game for a player by who’s standard? An injured Pendles is still worth more than brown or JT possibly both, he should be able to swing in and out the middle, rest forward when needed, same goes for Sidey, but because we lack a forward and have a few players with questionable skills they are both getting worked into the ground. That’s 100% on bux but shows the courage of them both
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
BEAMER09
Been liked: 12 times

Post by BEAMER09 »

joemamone@gmail.com wrote:I have had enough of reading how Buckley's plan is not working. I have listened to his post game interviews numerous times. I have heard him say he wants the team to play on, but it is very difficult when you have inept forwards who refuse to lead. This refusal to lead generally has its genesis in one's doubt about his ability to beat his opponent. Hence, players upfield are forced to go sideways and or backwards as they try to retain possession. As Jonathan Brown said "I do not believe that any couch would instruct his players to kick sideways and backwards"- to paraphrase.

I am also amazed how those on this site purport to know what instructions were given to the players unless of course they were present at Buckley's address to the players.

I suspect that the placard on the side of the ground imploring players to take the game on was a desperate attempt to remind the players what they were probably instructed form the outset. But this again is mere speculation on my behalf.

Finally, had the team kicked some of the gettable goals in the first half, the suggestion that the game plan, which so many appear to be apprised of, could not have been critised.
This inept forward line was put together by this inept Coach.
COLLINGW09D
K

Post by K »

RudeBoy wrote:Many people keep raving about how good our defence has been all year, but to my eye, it's their poor movement of the ball from defence which has made it near impossible for our forwards to have much chance at all of competing one on one with their opponents. ...
We shouldn't be starting ball movement from defence. We should be getting centre clearances. That's what happens when the good teams score quickly.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Skids »

Cruisinwithdids wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Well I applaud anyone with the courage to voice a different view point right now.
Funnily enough, a lot of posters were keen to quote Johnathon Brown when he said it was the worst ball movement he had seen in last 18 months. And yet no one bothered to add that Brown also said this wouldn’t be Buckley’s instruction. There isn’t a coach alive who would preach slow ball movement but for some reason the players aren’t displaying a desire to move the ball quickly. Maybe it’s the messaging ( clearly the coaches fault ) or maybe it’s the players. I dont know because as you said, I don’t sit on the meetings.
What I do know is that one of the qualities of being a good team is your ability to slow down down an oppositions ball movement.
In our case, we have a very ordinary list profile that is made up of a few past their peak guns and kids that are no where near ready and that’s hardly conducive to slowing down the momentum of any of the good teams going around. Conversely, we struggle to move the quickly because most oppositions have a better 22 than us right now . It could potentially be that simple. Having said that, Buckley has a responsibility for the list profile we currently have at hand.
Im not fussed if Buckley stays or goes ( although a change of assistants is required as a very minimum ) but for anyone to think he plans to move the ball as slow as humanly possible so as the opposition can set up, is ridiculous.
Blah blah blah. Here’s an idea- show Buckley the door after 10 years as a failed coach and let’s just see how that goes. Thoughts?
Blah, blah, blah ???

Typical of the salivating 'no game plan' cult.... just keep filling these pages with the same whining nonsense over and over.

I'm sure Bucks doesn't say "when we have a kick in from goal, chip it around inside the back 50, go nowhere and see what happens"... the players aren't backing themselves, they're not honouring leads, basically, they're not good enough.... yet. Some of the younger guys are showing potential and will no doubt develop in to solid AFL players, in a few years time.

I hate watching the way we play at the minute, but, if you think a new coach (and by the way, who?!) is going to magically change our players lack of ability, you're dreaming.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
K

Post by K »

masoncox wrote:...
I never thought Pendles was a great online leader.
Great player not a great leader.
I don't want Pendles to leave as a broken down hack.
He needs to go out with great dignity.
His personality is like Buckley's. (Maybe that's why he's been so vocal in supporting Buckley as coach.)
Cruisinwithdids

Skids wrote:
Cruisinwithdids wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Blah, blah, blah ???

Typical of the salivating 'no game plan' cult.... just keep filling these pages with the same whining nonsense over and over.

I'm sure Bucks doesn't say "when we have a kick in from goal, chip it around inside the back 50, go nowhere and see what happens"... the players aren't backing themselves, they're not honouring leads, basically, they're not good enough.... yet. Some of the younger guys are showing potential and will no doubt develop in to solid AFL players, in a few years time.

I hate watching the way we play at the minute, but, if you think a new coach (and by the way, who?!) is going to magically change our players lack of ability, you're dreaming.
Um, by the way absolutely anyone other than this failure. You could start with someone who has experienced success and is in a successful system? Bizarre I know. Sam Mitchell.
K

Post by K »

Magpietothemax wrote:
K wrote:
I thought that 58pie was joking...maybe i was wrong???!!
(It is hard to distinguish between humour and idiocy without the additional information of body language and facial expressions)
Yeah, could be right, Mttm. ... :?:
Cruisinwithdids

Skids wrote:
Cruisinwithdids wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Blah, blah, blah ???

And because you are so certain of what Buckley doesn’t say, please enlighten those of us uneducated types who would like the club to be competitive - what does he say?????