Post Match. Cats down Pies . All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Cruisinwithdids wrote:The fact that the club is basket case does not excuse the fact that Buckley cannot coach. He took on a team that won 22 of 25 ten years ago and has had every chance of achieving success.
Yeah, and the Messiah aka Clarkson won 4 premierships and his team is now a total basket case being pummelled by other extreme basket cases like North and GC….can he coach? The noise you just heard was a mic drop…..
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Said by Zed

Post by Said by Zed »

Cruisinwithdids wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Cruisinwithdids wrote:Um ok, evidence. Where is then the ‘evidence’ that he can coach?
2018 for starters. With respect it’s a silly question.
With respect it’s a absolutely relevant question. In 2018 Buckley was told to start listening to others after the ‘review’ and contract extension. Longmuir was in charge of ball movement. After that year Longmuir was snapped up & Buckley returned to his old ways. And now it’s 2021. The only ‘evidence’ I can see is that he cannot, and never could coach.
I agree with your sentiment but the evidence is flawed. Pre 2017 Richmond were ineffective self saboteurs that never really fulfilled their potential….enter several well credentialed assistant coaches and administrators and suddenly 3 premierships later the Tigers are world beaters. Their current players are arguably equal or lesser to pre 2017….is it that Hardwicke couldn’t coach for several years and then all of a sudden could….not at all. What they realised was that they needed to minimise all outside distractions and share the coaching load across a number of minds. We were almost there in 2018 but injuries, distractions, and internal disharmonies are as corrosive as acid to the soul of a footy club. Buckley can coach most definitely - put Clarkson or Hardwicke under similar circumstances and I doubt they would have faired any better. The fact we probably need a change is indisputable - whether it’s Buckley still remains to be determined.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 12 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

Last edited by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 on Sun May 30, 2021 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 12 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

Pies2016 wrote:we don’t have any semblance of [a] forward line... I accept Buckley is (partly) to blame for that debacle
No shit
Pies2016 wrote:how can anyone expect a forward line that includes Madgen Brown and a first gamer ( starting at half forward ) to kick a score
I guess they selected themselves and decided where they would play by rock, paper, scissors
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by Big T »

qldmagpie67 wrote:The only thing more predictable than our poor performances is
P4S votes in the GB medal
I was going to post at 3/4 time he was already marking Sidey or Grundy down for 5/4 or 4/5
So far his the only poster to give either a vote
Some thing never change
Buckley can’t coach and P4S has no credibility when it comes to voting
Attacking someone for their voting is poor form.
Buon Giorno
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Magpietothemax wrote:
think positive wrote:
Yep and we have been playing an inept keeping off game for far to long forit not to be under instruction. 22 players choosing to not do as they are told and dick around? I don’t think so.
As usual TP, you cut through all the extraneous noise so brilliantly. You cannot explain this by 22 players who are incapable of executing Bux game plan (or even worse, refusing to). (!!) In the final analysis, you can only explain it as 22 players who are doing their best to execute Bux' gameplan, as they understand it.
And even if you could, its hardly a good sign for the coach that all 22 are not playing to Coaches instructions
Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

Said by Zed wrote:
Cruisinwithdids wrote:The fact that the club is basket case does not excuse the fact that Buckley cannot coach. He took on a team that won 22 of 25 ten years ago and has had every chance of achieving success.
Yeah, and the Messiah aka Clarkson won 4 premierships and his team is now a total basket case being pummelled by other extreme basket cases like North and GC….can he coach? The noise you just heard was a mic drop…..[/quote
Yes because he has proven that he can coach by winning the 4 premierships. I think 4 flags is very different to zero flags for a club and a coach. They are on the same amount of wins as Collingwood.
Magpies035

Post by Magpies035 »

Buckley can’t coach
You can give 10 years of excuses

10 years is enough
Good bloke
He tried

Enough is enough
The Great Macedonian Marvel
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

Can we talk about Chris Mayne for a minute? Named in our best probably purely for possessions. I’m guessing he went at a high disposal efficiency with his 20 meter sideways kicks. I’m also guessing the setup and plan is to get the ball to him. Fly’s in the face of the be brave, attacking ball movement that we are apparently encouraging the team to take on as written on the white board. We need to replace him with IQ who can run and take the gander on and is a more penetrating kick. Moore is the same though his kicking is low and punchy which may lead to turn overs but you have to take risks to win games. Macrae took a mark at half back and tried to bite of an impossible kick into the middle, again, don’t mind it. I would rather be losing by 50 points than completely killing or ball movement to ensure we don’t get scored against the other way.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Pipes1970

Post by Pipes1970 »

Said by Zed wrote:
Cruisinwithdids wrote:
watt price tully wrote: 2018 for starters. With respect it’s a silly question.
With respect it’s a absolutely relevant question. In 2018 Buckley was told to start listening to others after the ‘review’ and contract extension. Longmuir was in charge of ball movement. After that year Longmuir was snapped up & Buckley returned to his old ways. And now it’s 2021. The only ‘evidence’ I can see is that he cannot, and never could coach.
I agree with your sentiment but the evidence is flawed. Pre 2017 Richmond were ineffective self saboteurs that never really fulfilled their potential….enter several well credentialed assistant coaches and administrators and suddenly 3 premierships later the Tigers are world beaters. Their current players are arguably equal or lesser to pre 2017….is it that Hardwicke couldn’t coach for several years and then all of a sudden could….not at all. What they realised was that they needed to minimise all outside distractions and share the coaching load across a number of minds. We were almost there in 2018 but injuries, distractions, and internal disharmonies are as corrosive as acid to the soul of a footy club. Buckley can coach most definitely - put Clarkson or Hardwicke under similar circumstances and I doubt they would have faired any better. The fact we probably need a change is indisputable - whether it’s Buckley still remains to be determined.
My sentiments exactly
It doesn't matter what happens.... I just love this bloody club!
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

think positive wrote: we need a decent forward. End of story. A solid marking forward. Right I want to see cox back in the side because he really does take 2 defenders. I know people and opposition don’t rate him, but right now he is all we have, and he is good enough that if he is one on one, he will get the ball and at least the. We have a chance to score. When they double team him it means we have less pressure on the other forwards.
There seems to be confusion about Cox on Nick’s. Some say that he was dropped and others say that he has a larynx injury. Which is it? If it’s the latter, he may not be ready to come in to the team.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

He was dropped, and was subsequently injured in the VFL a few weeks later. But yes, one would imagine he'll be back in once he's recovered (maybe another week away according to the injury thread) if Grundy is going to have an extended time on the sidelines.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
BEAMER09
Been liked: 12 times

Post by BEAMER09 »

Said by Zed wrote:
Yeah, and the Messiah aka Clarkson won 4 premierships and his team is now a total basket case being pummelled by other extreme basket cases like North and GC….can he coach? The noise you just heard was a mic drop…..
100% messiah and has more coaching talent in his little finger.

Knocking a Coach that has won 4 GF's vs a Bucks that was 5 goals up and lost.

Go figure...
COLLINGW09D
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Jezza wrote:Does anyone know why Madgen started up forward?

Was he tagging Stewart?

What’s a post match question doing in the post match thread ?
Maybe the mods can move it to the sack ot renew Buckley thread.
That must also be where all the positive comments on Biancos debut game are located. Probably along with Cameron’s improved form also.

You would imagine it was a negating role. I wouldn’t think anyone would see Madgen as any kind of scoring threat.
Said by Zed

Post by Said by Zed »

Magpies035 wrote:Buckley can’t coach
You can give 10 years of excuses

10 years is enough
Good bloke
He tried

Enough is enough
I feel the same. For a so-called super club we are chronic under achievers and I’m desperate for the same recent premiership strike rate as the Hawks, Tigers, Cats, and lesser degree Swans. I have no more allegiance to Buckley than the rest of you however until there’s a better option you go by what’s better for the team not take on an even further precarious position out of desperation.
By the way do any of you think Hinkley (PA) or Cameron (GWS) can coach? They’ve been at their clubs almost as long as Bucks with arguably less success, more advantages, and far far less disruption?
Until there’s someone better Bucks is the man warts and all. I want our club to be successful as much as all of you but if a new coach is appointed and we continue to implode as a club, and success is slow, they will be sacked within 3 years reminiscent of Melbourne the last 30 years or so.
If Buckley is to blame for our poor showing (which is yet to be proven) then he should go but pulling the trigger too soon would be like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire with a new coach….which the mental scarring and destabilisation may be too much for some and will set us back again another 7 - 10 years. Obviously if a new option was to surface with new ideas and a plan, then yes by all means but the rest of the house needs to be in order first.