Post Match. Cats down Pies . All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

Said by Zed wrote: What is obvious is the team can come out and play like a contender for a quarter and half with scintillating ball movement and daring play through the middle that results in goals and then something happens to the teams psyche which the coach can’t control. He’s done what he can prior which is evidenced in the positive play in the first quarter and half etc and then the team collectively go into their shell and fear the loss instead of risking for the win…
This is the exact opposite of what happened against Geelong
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

RudeBoy wrote:somehow we are competitive almost every frigging week. That tells me that we are doing something right. As frustrating as our season is, it would be good to see some acknowledgement from more supporters, to what our team is achieving, given the players at our disposal
Maybe supporters don't consider flooding, defensive, negative play designed to keep scores low while simultaneously ruining any chance we have of kicking a winning score "doing something right"
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

Said by Zed wrote:However swapping in a new car might also bring in new problems and not get you from A to B as old reliable did. What if you kept the car and replaced the radiator, crank shaft, put in a new oil sump seal, and flushed the fuel lines….it’d be purring like a kitten. Maybe that’s just what we need.
"Old reliable" lol. We're hitch-hiking in the rain right now. Show some leg

To follow the car analogy, who is the driver?
Said by Zed

Post by Said by Zed »

^^^^^Dude, relax…you’re really giving that keyboard a workout! If you clench any tighter you’ll do your ‘O’ ring! I guess the strategic position of perspective and cause/effect analysis is not really you’re strong points. “Sometimes you have to look beyond the moment and focus on the bigger picture for greater context” - Albert Einstein
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

“Most people (at Collingwood) simply aren’t unhappy enough with the known to trade it for the unknown” Joan Vinge - The Snow Queen
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

^ Most??
Said by Zed wrote:^^^^^Dude, relax…you’re really giving that keyboard a workout! If you clench any tighter you’ll do your ‘O’ ring! I guess the strategic position of perspective and cause/effect analysis is not really you’re strong points. “Sometimes you have to look beyond the moment and focus on the bigger picture for greater context” - Albert Einstein
*your

Dude, if I was any more relaxed I would fall off my barstool

>insert generic insult that doesn't address anything<

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" -Albert Einstein (maybe)
npalm
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:somehow we are competitive almost every frigging week. That tells me that we are doing something right. As frustrating as our season is, it would be good to see some acknowledgement from more supporters, to what our team is achieving, given the players at our disposal
Maybe supporters don't consider flooding, defensive, negative play designed to keep scores low while simultaneously ruining any chance we have of kicking a winning score "doing something right"
We no longer have a list that is capable of making the top 8. If we had taken a more attacking approach this season we might have pinched an extra win or two (but no more than that) but we would have been absolutely belted in most of the games.
We have not been thrashed once. The 9 games we have lost, we have lost by an average of 18 points only. With a maximum loss of 30 points.

It is far, far better for the development of our young players that they play in competitive losses than in demoralising thrashings.

Our problem is our list management, not the match day coaching.
Side by side.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

npalm wrote:We no longer have a list that is capable of making the top 8
Agree, hardly a surprise with aging stars and losing 2-3 good players last year
npalm wrote:If we had taken a more attacking approach this season we might have pinched an extra win or two (but no more than that) but we would have been absolutely belted in most of the games
1 or 2 wins more and a few beltings would put us in line with the 3 teams currently above us; instead of Hawthorn and North who are clearly the worst teams in the league
npalm wrote:We have not been thrashed once. The 9 games we have lost, we have lost by an average of 18 points only. With a maximum loss of 30 points.
Yes, because that is our game plan, to avoid heavy losses by flooding/negative play, which also prevents is from kicking a winning score
npalm wrote:It is far, far better for the development of our young players that they play in competitive losses than in demoralising thrashings
What is far, far better is that they learn a style of play that will one day allow them to win a flag... kicking 1 goal in 3 quarters is not 'competitive'. Struggling to score 60 points is not 'competitive'. They are demoralising
npalm
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

Without a single A grader in the forward line or the midfield (once Grundy was injured) we were never going to beat Geelong. If we hadn't adopted negative tactics we would have been thrashed.
Side by side.
Said by Zed

Post by Said by Zed »

npalm wrote:Without a single A grader in the forward line or the midfield (once Grundy was injured) we were never going to beat Geelong. If we hadn't adopted negative tactics we would have been thrashed.
Agreed. For f$#@ sake Longmuire did this practically for all of last season and was being universally touted as a brilliant tactician and potential coach of the year. At Collingwood unless we’re winning we want to hang, draw and quarter the coach…..for a culture based on ‘side by side’ go figure.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

Buckley's had 10 years to build the list and gameplan he wanted. How many seasons do you think we're away from Top 4?
npalm wrote:Without a single A grader in the forward line or the midfield (once Grundy was injured) we were never going to beat Geelong. If we hadn't adopted negative tactics we would have been thrashed.
As you have said, we are in no danger of playing finals this season... So, what is the objective of the season? To "not get thrashed"? Or to build a team that will compete in the future?

I guess you will say that getting thrashed doesn't build confidence. I will say that playing negative tactics designed to choke the life out of a game doesn't build a winning team
Said by Zed

Post by Said by Zed »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:^ Most??
Said by Zed wrote:^^^^^Dude, relax…you’re really giving that keyboard a workout! If you clench any tighter you’ll do your ‘O’ ring! I guess the strategic position of perspective and cause/effect analysis is not really you’re strong points. “Sometimes you have to look beyond the moment and focus on the bigger picture for greater context” - Albert Einstein
*your

Dude, if I was any more relaxed I would fall off my barstool

>insert generic insult that doesn't address anything<

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" -Albert Einstein (maybe)
“Nah, I think trying to have a logical debate with you might be” definitely a quote by me.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

Said by Zed wrote:"Nah, I think trying to have a logical debate with you might be” definitely a quote by me.
Go back to one of your previous aliases
daics aka the ruckman
Been liked: 3 times

Post by daics aka the ruckman »

"Negative Tactics". Zero goals to half time.
If we had of gone positive tactics (five goals last quarter) from the start we may have won. I dont think "we would have been thrashed".

I don't think a brand of negative, backwards, sideways, low scoring football is worth pursuing in modern football.

As Gerard Whately said at the end of the game on SEN. If ever there was a game to be played in front of no crowds this was it.
go pies
WarrenerraW

Post by WarrenerraW »

People need to understand that we could have dunstall, lockett and ablett in our fwd line and it wouldn't make an ounce of difference Why? Because our game plan is not designed with an attacking mindset to kick large winning scores. It's centred around a defensive mindset so we don't get beaten (by too much).

Nathan Buckley has coached out whatever attack, flair and instinct our players ever had. Buckley coaches to save games and in turn save his career. We don't get thrashed because we're ultra defensive. We don't kick goals because we're ultra defensive.

Our game plan is to stop/prop/look side ways/look backwards (and choose one of these options). Our forwards don't bother because by the time we actually get the ball there the forward line is clogged and we turn it over.

We are a boring and ugly team to watch and without a doubt the worst team in the comp. Our brand of football is constipating and will not change under buckley's regime. The bloke has NFI. The sooner people wake up to this fact the sooner we move forward. No amount of top forwards or assistants will change that. We need a new coach with new and fresh ideas (and a genuine understanding for how the modern game is played). Buckley doesn't because he is an idiot and the definition of insanity.