Post Match. Pies trump Tigers. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

qldmagpie67
Been liked: 89 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Adams last term was something to behold
11 touches 2 tackles 3 clearances 1 goal 3 score involvements
He stood beside Pendles when we entered the field of battle before kick off
He was last man off the field making sure each of his team mates was ahead of him and safe after the battle
That is true leadership he is the heart and soul of this team
I was stunned at the comeback but in all honesty had we used the ball better going inside 50 during the first 3 terms we would have been much closer
Put Howe back into defence and remove madgen who is quickly earning a reputation of being the new Langdon with his horrendous errors
Overall everyone contributed something to the win
Best part of was seeing dimma in the coaches box after the final siren wondering what just happened and looking like he had no answers
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Did IQ play on Dusty all day? Absolutely spanked him
Not sure Mr M. It's often hard to pick who's on Martin through watching on the TV (he has a habit of getting clear of his man :wink: ). What I do know is that IQ played a superb game, with a complete four quarter effort. Martin lacked his normal influence.
Whatever, we've developed a gem in IQ :) My overall best players for the game were IQ, Crisp and Maynard.
schuey07

Post by schuey07 »

Boot wrote:Great win by Collingwood that was sparked by a significant change in tactic to go through the center when coming out of the defense and great positive running by the midfield. Credit to Banger Harvey for having the team play a more offensive game style, although it seems to take a while in each match for it to bear fruit. Maybe the opposition have to tire and become slower at covering the center corridor for this tactic to succeed?
Of course it helps when Pendlebury and Adams play well & Grundy and Cameron are dominating the opposition ruck of Chole and Picket. Not every week has such a makeshift rucking combination.
Great defense turning defense into attack by the backs with Maynard, Crisp, Quaynor and Mayne doing a terrific job.
Poor Jack Magden... every week he gives 100% effort and he has improved each season that he's been at the club, but he isn't a great decision maker and each game he seems to suffer from a couple of "clangers" that cost Collingwood goals every week. I guess he remains in the team till there's a better option available.
Worrying to see Will Kelly only last half a game at the highest level. He seems very fragile with a long history of injuries. Hopefully another pre-season will see him develop a stronger body capable of withstanding the rigors of AFL as he seems to have a lot of potential as a mobile tall.
All set for a great game that is now a must win vs Carlscum next week. Go Pies!!
The reason take a while is because we have to unlearn what we have learned. It takes a while for a game plan change to click and isn’t easy to do in the middle of the season, but it should get better every week and gives me hope for next year whoever is the coach.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

warburton lad wrote:So the Fox Footy commentators feel that 'The Tigers had a very young side out there...". Give it a spell.
Dunno how young the Tiggers are... But I know they are very weak. No good team loses 4 in a row, with possibly more to come.

They have been exposed, finally.

But we should enjoy the wins no matter how weak the oppo.
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

Lazza wrote:
Haff wrote:The only thing I care about is hope for the future. Winds don’t bother me. The ball movement was premiership standard in the last qtr, probably last half. Better than anything Buckley rolled out in the last 20 matches.
Henry showed a little bit will still take time, ruscoe down back was good. Bianco and IQ did some nice things.
Perhaps shows what a positive game plan can do for the development of young players…
If we play this style of attacking footy and win far more than we lose for the rest of the season, could appointing Harvey as the permanent coach be a viable option? Would frequent wins from now on garner support for Harvey on Nick’s? I realise it’s the club’s decision but wondering all the same.
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

qldmagpie67 wrote:A
He was last man off the field making sure each of his team mates was ahead of him and safe after the battle
Yes, to see Tay taking the time to celebrate with the young players who didn't get to be selected for this game (but who were so happy nonetheless with the win), absolutely stamped him as the leader of that group going forward.

And for sure, heart and soul is what he's all about.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

eddiesmith wrote:
MC's Mix wrote:How Grundy didn't get in the best according the the AFL writeup is beyond me.
He absolutely monstered Chol all day, and particularly when it counted after half time.

According to AFL:
BEST
Richmond: Bolton, Grimes, Short, Graham, Baker, Lynch
Collingwood: Crisp, Adams, De Goey, Maynard, Elliott, Pendlebury

Yeah Elliott kicked 3 in the end, but I rated Grundy WAY over him today.
Because they give it to the best players not who got the most stats.

I remember a game in the early part of the century and a rare Collingwood win over Hawthorn, Mitchell, Hodge and Crawford all got 30+ possessions and MMM gave them 3-2-1 in the W.O.G award because they were completely ineffective
Two things here. Collingwood are never going to win a game of AFL football with three ruckmen and Richmond are never going to win a game of AFL football with Chol as their tap ruckman. Grundy was easily BOG while I also had Cameron amongst our best players. If you get the process right the results follow. Callum Brown has to play through the guts. Will Kelly was a good tall option in the forward line until injured. We’re still missing Darcy Moore in the backline. Madgen isn’t the answer there. We must have leaked at least 5 goals through bad defense. Thank goodness we have Maynard down there. Great win Collingwood. Our reserves won as well so we have a lot to work with.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Makes a Big Difference in a Comeback when Scumps make Bullshit Decisions against Collingwood
I am Da Man
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

Get some ink on that 10 year contract Harvs is going to get. Can I ask why it takes till we're being soundly beaten for us to play 'positive' football?
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
MatthewBoydFanClub

qldmagpie67 wrote:Adams last term was something to behold
11 touches 2 tackles 3 clearances 1 goal 3 score involvements
He stood beside Pendles when we entered the field of battle before kick off
I was stunned at the comeback but in all honesty had we used the ball better going inside 50 during the first 3 terms we would have been much closer
Put Howe back into defence and remove madgen who is quickly earning a reputation of being the new Langdon with his horrendous errors
Overall everyone contributed something to the win
Best part of was seeing dimma in the coaches box after the final siren wondering what just happened and looking like he had no answers
Langdon was a highly underrated player. His kicking was off early in his career, then he fixed that up and was our best defender after Maynard. His premature retirement was a severe blow to Collingwood. Madgen will never be the player Langdon was. If Madgen ever makes it as an AFL footballer it won’t be in defense. Maybe as a winger. Maybe on the half forward flank. But not as a defender.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

warburton lad wrote:So the Fox Footy commentators feel that 'The Tigers had a very young side out there...". Give it a spell.

Like Ruscoe down back. Not sure what Kelly has done (looks like a cork thigh). Plaudits to Maynard- surely our toughest player on the list.

Anticipate Poulter and perhaps Howe back in for the Port match.
Ginnivan kicked four in the VFL again- he can't be far away.

And please, Harvey- keep playing Callum Brown as a rover- he seems a natural.
We where a very young side along with some VFL Players in the AFL Side
I am Da Man
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

scoobydoo wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Haff wrote:The only thing I care about is hope for the future. Winds don’t bother me. The ball movement was premiership standard in the last qtr, probably last half. Better than anything Buckley rolled out in the last 20 matches.
Henry showed a little bit will still take time, ruscoe down back was good. Bianco and IQ did some nice things.
Perhaps shows what a positive game plan can do for the development of young players…
If we play this style of attacking footy and win far more than we lose for the rest of the season, could appointing Harvey as the permanent coach be a viable option? Would frequent wins from now on garner support for Harvey on Nick’s? I realise it’s the club’s decision but wondering all the same.
MatthewBoydFanClub

Mr Miyagi wrote:Did IQ play on Dusty all day? Absolutely spanked him
Mayne had him when Dusty moved forward and he did a great job on him. Mayne is not getting the credit he deserves this year. I thought he was gone last season, but I’ll put it down to the hubs.
Monco Matt

Post by Monco Matt »

Fantastic come from behind victory, and what better team to do it against than these arrogant SOB's.

We had quite a few out and to be fair they had probably half their starting lineup missing. But.....who cares, them's the breaks, and it's about time the toothless tigers felt what it's like to play week-in-week-out with a lot of injuries and be asked to come through with strong wins all the time. Not so easy is it?

Over the past 4 weeks their depth has been tested and they have been found gasping for air. It is just so satisfying to be the team to drive a blunt, rusty old dagger right through the heart of their flailing season.

Goodnight Twethmond, good to have you back.

Cameron is looking like becoming a real ruck/forward. He plays like a footballer, not a basketballer. He gets himself into dangerous positions, covers the ground well, has good hands and can kick straight.

Maynard, the best game I've seen from him I'd say. Hard, tough & desperate as always but also steady, reiiable and showed a real cool head under enormous pressure. Was a rock all day and detroyed that sook up forward.

Better game from Grundy although he was not up against much. Had 40 HO's but only 11 were to advantage, so where did the other 29 go? Work to be done here Grundy but you stood up when it mattered and for that you get a tick. Not worth $1m yet, maybe $750k, but heading north.

Adams was a warrior. Geez this guy digs in hard. Kicked the longest goal of his life and was really solid today. He lead by example, great game.

DeGoey is looking like something of his old self lately. Maybe all his off-field crap is getting sorted out finally and he is feeling better about life. Who knows, but great to see him up and about.

And lastly, to you Banger, you released the boys from the chains and have been trying to do so since the sacking (*ahem*, I mean mutual separation) and for that I thank you. We look like a real football team when we take the game on and I just hope that under your watch we start doing it more frequently in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd terms. Maybe then we can start to really see what this team is capable of.

For the first time in a long time it feels like some exciting times ahead!!

Go the Pies!!.
RED "BABY" CAVANAUGH: Didn't hear what the bet was.

MONCO: Your life.
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

scoobydoo wrote:
That’s exactly what scum supporters thought when Teague was caretaker.
Caretaker coaches have nothing to lose & therefore coach in a different way.
Honestly does anyone think Harves has changed the game plan in 3 weeks & our players have learnt it? Very doubtful.
I’m not in anyway against Harves but don’t get sucked in by the caretaker.
I think this is very useful as a cautionary post scoobydoo.
It was was a great win and I'm so happy for Harvey and the players. However, I think it may be easier to take your chances when there's nothing to lose, compared to when you have a three year contract to protect. :wink: