Welcome to Collingwood, Coach Craig McRae

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 90 times

Post by RudeBoy »

He certainly comes across as a fine person, who is likely to be great at communication with the players. I liked that he was keen to emphasise that we need to be more attacking, getting the ball into our forward line much more often. I sense that Pendles may continue on as captain. He basically said, he'd be guided by what Pendles wants to do.

With Leppa and a couple of other assistants likely to join our club, its a breath of fresh air. Congrats should go to our club for the professional way we've conducted our search for a new coach.
lihei
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by lihei »

What’s with the 2,000+ members reference??
Cancel the Cancel Culture.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

I am just so looking forward to next year. I was just blown away by this interview. You can see from his demeanour and his responses how essential he views his relationship with the players as the medium through which the full potential of this team can be realised. I loved his short answers as well, which disposed so well of the inane/intentionally awkward questions. Especially the one where the journalist asked: You were a member of a ruthless team, Brisbane. Is that part of your coaching? And he simply answered "Yes" and moved on.
He has a great smile. A smile that radiates warmth. I think that is just so much what this team needs. i am rapt with this appointment.
Go Pies!!
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Well you can dismiss any discussion about him being a soft coach. Basically said he'd follow the coaching principles of Leigh Matthews and there's nothing soft about that. Gave nothing away about the deficiencies of the team other than there are structural issues which need to be addressed as soon as possible through the trade period and the draft. Aim he said is to get better as fast and as soon as we can. Obviously very nervous as he spoke, at one point spilling his glass of water. His strengths he stated was in building relationships with the players and the supporting staff.
simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

Don’t know if I would of put any more time into Collingwood if Scott, Toss, Puke, bitchell or flogson we’re coaching us in the future. As personalities go they are *&^*(&%$% FLOGS.
Good to have a bloke who has done he’s due diligence and has thoroughly deserved the appointment.
no second chances
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:Well you can dismiss any discussion about him being a soft coach. Basically said he'd follow the coaching principles of Leigh Matthews and there's nothing soft about that. Gave nothing away about the deficiencies of the team other than there are structural issues which need to be addressed as soon as possible through the trade period and the draft. Aim he said is to get better as fast and as soon as we can. Obviously very nervous as he spoke, at one point spilling his glass of water. His strengths he stated was in building relationships with the players and the supporting staff.
Yes, in referring to his aim, he was very clear and very concise. The journalists attempted to box him into saying that next year will be all about development. His answer was excellent: Our aim is to get better as fast as we can, though you might use a language such as "development" to describe it. I like also that he refuses to give much away and insists above all else on gathering all the information and data available over the coming days and weeks, but has already identified issues that he is clear on.
I have never felt so full of hope and confidence before. I am convinced that the club has pursued a comprehensive and professional search for the right coach, and I am so much looking forward to watching him in the future.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Jezza
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Jezza »

Magpietothemax wrote:I am just so looking forward to next year. I was just blown away by this interview. You can see from his demeanour and his responses how essential he views his relationship with the players as the medium through which the full potential of this team can be realised. I loved his short answers as well, which disposed so well of the inane/intentionally awkward questions. Especially the one where the journalist asked: You were a member of a ruthless team, Brisbane. Is that part of your coaching? And he simply answered "Yes" and moved on.
He has a great smile. A smile that radiates warmth. I think that is just so much what this team needs. i am rapt with this appointment.
Go Pies!!
Great post, MTTM.

McRae is a composed and calm person with great people skills, but I do sense a ruthless side of him that he won't tolerate mediocrity.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
schuey07

Post by schuey07 »

magpieazza wrote:Very happy with McRae and his personality will be ideal for Collingwood.

Love the way he flat batted some of the questions, especially from Chompers, gave him nothing.!! hahaha

Geez I miss Eddies passion and spark when he was prez though. The two fellas on the right of the screen of the announcement were in one word, bland.
I prefer this from the board, rather than Eddie’s hysterical style. Calm and boring is what we need.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Feeling realistically optimistic
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Jezza
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Jezza »

schuey07 wrote:I prefer this from the board, rather than Eddie’s hysterical style. Calm and boring is what we need.
Agree 100%.

Noticed some people elsewhere complaining about Korda's public speaking skills. Would rather a president with substance over style.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

lihei wrote:What’s with the 2,000+ members reference??
He actually said 82,000. It did sound like he said 2,000
schuey07

Post by schuey07 »

Magpietothemax wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:Well you can dismiss any discussion about him being a soft coach. Basically said he'd follow the coaching principles of Leigh Matthews and there's nothing soft about that. Gave nothing away about the deficiencies of the team other than there are structural issues which need to be addressed as soon as possible through the trade period and the draft. Aim he said is to get better as fast and as soon as we can. Obviously very nervous as he spoke, at one point spilling his glass of water. His strengths he stated was in building relationships with the players and the supporting staff.
Yes, in referring to his aim, he was very clear and very concise. The journalists attempted to box him into saying that next year will be all about development. His answer was excellent: Our aim is to get better as fast as we can, though you might use a language such as "development" to describe it. I like also that he refuses to give much away and insists above all else on gathering all the information and data available over the coming days and weeks, but has already identified issues that he is clear on.
I have never felt so full of hope and confidence before. I am convinced that the club has pursued a comprehensive and professional search for the right coach, and I am so much looking forward to watching him in the future.
I agree 100%. I can’t wait to see us play next year and watch our development over the next few years.
lihei
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by lihei »

the fuzz wrote:
lihei wrote:What’s with the 2,000+ members reference??
He actually said 82,000. It did sound like he said 2,000
Cheers
Cancel the Cancel Culture.
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

McRae seems like a straight shooter and a good choice, with a very impressive CV, but I guess only time will tell :wink: Being the senior coach of a bottom dwelling Collingwood is an entirely different ball game to being an assistant coach. Good luck to him - he's certainly taking a bit of a risk with that impressive record by taking on the Pies!

I'm reminded today of just how ironic life can be. Twenty years ago, Bucks was busting his guts on the ground, against McRae and Leppitsch, in search of that elusive premiership. Fast forward to now and he looks on as they take over his beloved Collingwood, after giving the prime years of his life doing his utmost for his club :(

Still, being aware of Buck's philosophies and perspectives on life, I'm betting he's already found appreciation for all the positives those Collingwood years gave him, despite the disappointments and is getting the most out of it wherever he is today. :)
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Great Fly and Leppa great combo.

i thought Fly was at hawthorn in their 3 peat days 2013-2015 thought he was part of Clarko coaching panel.

Then fly flew to richmond and was hardwicks right hand man 2016-2019.

I knew Leppa was with richmond 2016-2020.