#35 Nick Daicos

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^ ^ ^

I didn’t see it live but I checked the highlights and his numbers. Horne - Francis is a super talent and he’s more of a bull compared to Daicos who is silk. J H F powers through traffic, while Daicos glides through it. They are both very damaging but the main difference between them impact wise, is the same as what sets Daicos apart from nearly all before him. His ability to read the play, find dangerous spots and maximise his running patterns is why he averages around 35 touches on a bad day. Obviously he will have a lot to learn about accountability in the seniors, so he won’t be doing that from day one at Collingwood but his game awareness is like a sixth sense.
Horne - Francis, by comparison, isnt a big ball winner but he’s elite and creative when he gets it ( 24 quality touches in the prelim ) You could also argue J H F has more scope for improvement than Daicos but only because as a junior, Nick can’t do anymore.
Assuming Kangas keep pick one, they will be very happy with J H F but I would suggest the Pies will be even more pleased with Nick.

Footnote - Im hoping J H F is called out before Daicos. That would mean less points to match and a bit less pressure on him, so it will be interesting to see who’s name is called out first on the night.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

^ I’d argue Nick has more upside given his lack of footy compared to Horne the last 2yrs and that he hasn’t played as much against men. Not that he has a problem when he does.
Nicks ball use on both feet also give him more time and add to his exceptional decision making.
I really hope north just pick Horne at 1. Id choose Nick even if we didn’t have F/s priority.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

^ ^ ^

Yep, that’s the counter argument about Nick playing so little footy.
I think the priority for Nick will be preparing his body more so than learning the game or honing his skills ( not that they won’t be a focus either )
Nick is also a pure midfielder, while J H F is more a forward of centre mid still learning the craft, so there’s still plenty of growth in J H F up the ground.

What I am starting to think is that Darcy can now be taken out of the conversation around #1 or #2, particularly now the Kangas will secure Coleman - Jones.
So that remains the burning question, who will be called out first ? N D or J H F
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

It would be folly of North to select Nick Daicos knowing he has zero chance of going there. The reason being is that they’re essentially telling NHJ that he was their second preference. Not the best foot to start off with when bringing a new kid into the fold, especially one from interstate. If they know they’re getting NHJ, no matter what, then they should publicly select him as their number one pick, and make him feel that he was their preference.

The margin between the two players is obviously marginal at best either way, so it’s not like it wouldn’t be believable even if behind closed doors they’d prefer Daicos.
Est. 2002
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

^ ^ ^
Except the Crows broke the mould when they selected Ugle - Hagen at # 1 and then selected Thilthorpe at #2 with the first live selection.
IF the Kangas decide they want to be active with live pick swaps on the night, why wouldn’t you pick Daicos and Darcy before J H F. Automatically, their later picks ( and other clubs ) all move up several spots in the pecking order and that live pick swapping becomes more attractive for everyone involved.
I also fully understand why the Kangas would / could call out J H F as number #1 but it’s not like they would be setting a draft night precedent if they did call out Daicos first either.
When the Crows were asked why they called out Ugle - Hagen at pick 1, their response was that we are obliged to select who we believe is the best player in the draft. That also sounds like a fair and reasonable response to me.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Raw Hammer

Post by Raw Hammer »

That’s because Ugle Hagen was the CLEAR number one pick. It’s a virtual toss of the coin between Daicos and the SA kid.
Est. 2002
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

I would obviously love to have ND playing for Collingwood but just a random question to the draft experts, are we picking ND because he is certainly the very best available player or because of his revered surname? Would a Nick Smith attract the same level of fanatical interest?
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

Raw Hammer wrote:That’s because Ugle Hagen was the CLEAR number one pick. It’s a virtual toss of the coin between Daicos and the SA kid.
Well if North are looking for a classy hard at it half forward flanker who averages around 18 quality touches a game, then he’s their man.
Personally, I think most clubs would prefer a natural on baller who averages 35 quality touches a game ahead of the other alternative. Time will tell.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Pies2016 wrote:^ ^ ^
Except the Crows broke the mould when they selected Ugle - Hagen at # 1 and then selected Thilthorpe at #2 with the first live selection.
IF the Kangas decide they want to be active with live pick swaps on the night, why wouldn’t you pick Daicos and Darcy before J H F. Automatically, their later picks ( and other clubs ) all move up several spots in the pecking order and that live pick swapping becomes more attractive for everyone involved.
I also fully understand why the Kangas would / could call out J H F as number #1 but it’s not like they would be setting a draft night precedent if they did call out Daicos first either.
When the Crows were asked why they called out Ugle - Hagen at pick 1, their response was that we are obliged to select who we believe is the best player in the draft. That also sounds like a fair and reasonable response to me.
Fairly certain all picks and points values move back
Michael Jordan
MAY-Z

Post by MAY-Z »

Pies2016 wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:That’s because Ugle Hagen was the CLEAR number one pick. It’s a virtual toss of the coin between Daicos and the SA kid.
Well if North are looking for a classy hard at it half forward flanker who averages around 18 quality touches a game, then he’s their man.
Personally, I think most clubs would prefer a natural on baller who averages 35 quality touches a game ahead of the other alternative. Time will tell.
Horne-Francis is far more than what you are suggesting, don’t forget he is doing what he is doing against full grown men in a strong competition.

You dont see players having 24 possessions, 3 goals and 11 clearances in a SANFL league preliminary final, let alone it being done by 18 year olds.

He also took a contested intercept mark or 2.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

MJ23 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:^ ^ ^
Fairly certain all picks and points values move back
Yep, they will initially move back two because of Daicos and Darcy bids and then I’m working on the LATTER picks immediately coming in because in this scenario, the dogs and Pies would have likely given up 7 - 9 picks between them in total to match the bids. So by that reckoning, most clubs latter picks would come in 5 or 6 spots ( ? ). I accept there won’t likely be much benefit in the second round because most picks would come from Dogs and Pies third ( and fourth ) rounds. How’d I go ?
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

^ ah yes. Correct. Fair enough.
Michael Jordan
Raw Hammer

Post by Raw Hammer »

MAY-Z wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Horne-Francis is far more than what you are suggesting, don’t forget he is doing what he is doing against full grown men in a strong competition.

You dont see players having 24 possessions, 3 goals and 11 clearances in a SANFL league preliminary final, let alone it being done by 18 year olds.

James Aish SANFL numbers
Est. 2002
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

MAY-Z wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Wonderful talent and a wonderful game on a big stage but Twomey doesn’t even have him starting as an on baller in the all Australian U19 team ( albeit that game wouldn’t have hurt his cause if it had been played prior to the team selection ) I’m not knocking J H F at all, he’s the real deal but historically he hadn’t been a big possession winner ( which is what cost him an on ball position in the team ) Daicos averages around 35 touches and two goals everytime he plays, whether it’s APS, NAB cup or state championships and has been doing so for years.
Time will tell but I doubt if we will reach a point where we wish we had J H F playing for us before N D
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Lazza wrote:I would obviously love to have ND playing for Collingwood but just a random question to the draft experts, are we picking ND because he is certainly the very best available player or because of his revered surname? Would a Nick Smith attract the same level of fanatical interest?
Yes.