Vale Shane Warne

For all sporting topics - news, discussion, score updates etc. - other than Aussie Rules and Premier League Soccer.

Moderators: pies4ever, bbmods

23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Was there at the statue of Warne at the MCG i left a bunch of flowers and a stubbie of VB there.

The Great Shane Warne Stand.

GSWS
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Pies4shaw wrote:I just watched a half-hour program (made in 2020) of his "top 50" wickets in Australia. Re-watching such footage pushes almost all other bowlers to one side. Even now, all these years later, watching things you saw at the time - and knowing fully what's coming, every ball - it's still absolutely hilarious to watch him bowl. I found myself laughing out loud, repeatedly. It really is the most tremendous tribute.

Ultimately, it isn't just that he got great batsmen out at important moments, all the time - it's how useless and apparently uncoordinated he made them look in the process. In many cases, the plan behind the ball was so audacious that you would have called it misconceived, if it had been any other bowler - and the spin beyond prodigious.

I watched it on Kayo - but I think Cricket Australia has put up the same (or similar) footage, here: https://www.cricket.com.au/video/shane- ... 2022-03-05

Watch it and see if it doesnt make you laugh out loud.
Richie Benaud's commentary is as brilliant as Warne's bowling.
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

^ For sure!
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

90 nice wrote:Was there at the statue of Warne at the MCG i left a bunch of flowers and a stubbie of VB there.

The Great Shane Warne Stand.

GSWS
Good move 90 nice.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Sunil Gavaskar doing his best AJ impersonation.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Skids »

What, isn't he allowed an opinion?
I'm not agreeing with him, I reckon Murali was a chucker, but Suni is free to think otherwise... isn't he?
Don't count the days, make the days count.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Skids wrote:What, isn't he allowed an opinion?
I'm not agreeing with him, I reckon Murali was a chucker, but Suni is free to think otherwise... isn't he?
Of course he is, but humans show more dignity and respect when someone passes.

That's why you never hear people tell the truth when delivering a eulogy.

When Sachin Tendulkar passes, it would be equally wrong for anyone to say, "well, he was no Bradman"
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw9xWUR6v7A

Sunil always preferred the off-spin.
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

Shattered for his kids.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

I read that Warnie had a massage in his room with 2 female masseuses shortly before being found dead.

I couldn't help but wonder if the heart attack was triggered by finding out that one of them had outdoor plumbing.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Skids

Post by Skids »

What'sinaname wrote:

When Sachin Tendulkar passes, it would be equally wrong for anyone to say, "well, he was no Bradman"
True... I think he was maybe caught on the hop by the question. He has since apologised.

Following the uproar, Gavaskar took to Instagram to address the situation.

“Last week was a very traumatic time for cricket fraternity as in 24 hours, we lost two of the most iconic cricketers the game has seen - Rodney Marsh and Shane Warne,” he said in the Instagram video.

On TV, I was asked by an anchor whether Warne was the greatest spinner and I gave my honest opinion. In hindsight, that question should not have been asked nor should it have been answered as it was not the right time for any comparison or evaluation.

“Warne was one of the greatest players to ever grace the game. Rodney Marsh too was one of the greatest wicketkeepers the game has seen. May their souls rest in eternal peace.”
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

stui magpie wrote:I read that Warnie had a massage in his room with 2 female masseuses shortly before being found dead.

I couldn't help but wonder if the heart attack was triggered by finding out that one of them had outdoor plumbing.
Warnie being Warnie I reckon he'd have coped.

Besides I get the feeling he wasn't the fussy type when it came to a brief encounter and was happy to take the ball from either end as long as it resulted in the stump being rattled.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Skids

Post by Skids »

stui magpie wrote:I read that Warnie had a massage in his room with 2 female masseuses shortly before being found dead.

I've seen evidence there was actually 4, not 2.
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

Saw such a clip the other day, but no date/time-stamp on the recording to validate how recent it was?
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

Skids wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

True... I think he was maybe caught on the hop by the question. He has since apologised.

Following the uproar, Gavaskar took to Instagram to address the situation.

“Last week was a very traumatic time for cricket fraternity as in 24 hours, we lost two of the most iconic cricketers the game has seen - Rodney Marsh and Shane Warne,” he said in the Instagram video.

On TV, I was asked by an anchor whether Warne was the greatest spinner and I gave my honest opinion. In hindsight, that question should not have been asked nor should it have been answered as it was not the right time for any comparison or evaluation.

“Warne was one of the greatest players to ever grace the game. Rodney Marsh too was one of the greatest wicketkeepers the game has seen. May their souls rest in eternal peace.”
The question shouldn’t have been asked, but neither should he be expected to lie. Avoid it maybe but he answered politely, truthfully. It’s not like he bagged him!

The comments about the prostitutes in the room are far more distasteful IMO, just what his family would want to hear!

And are you sure that’s not the old video anyway! Plenty out there!

Even I got a little teary seeing the plane arrive and his gorgeex climb out the car.

I’m no fan, but clearly he was a charismatic human being, and 52 is far too young
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!