#35 Nick Daicos

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

Mr Miyagi wrote:But bloody hell Nick looks like he’ll take 2023 to another level, going by his track work this week! Been hitting the weights too
I'm thinking he'll have to get used to shaking off a parasite each week from now on, like that little turd who plays for Sydney...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Awesome. It had to happen.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
And

Post by And »

Bloody beauty. :D
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Has put on 4kg and won the first time trial, no less. Midfield time here we come!
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Coleman Medallist Scott Cummings has predicted who the top 10 players in the AFL will be in 2023
“Nick Daicos will be in the top 10. If I was a gambling man, I’d have a little look at his Brownlow odds,
I think he’s going to be an absolute standout Nick Daicos.

Darcy Moore is just outside his top 10 list.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/01/21/ ... fl-season/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Skids »

He's 40/1 (backed him at 66/1)

Josh is 150/1, had to have a couple of dollars on at that price.

Darcy Moore is 500/1
Don't count the days, make the days count.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

No.35 Naicos appears to have every attribute to tear the game and the competition apart. There hasn't been greater expectation placed on an individual since Jesus wandered out of the desert.
Naicos's ability was clearly on show during his debut season. Back, Midfield or Forward, he’ll be equally as dangerous.
Still, in order to hone his craft, he'll play a variety of roles, before he makes his way into the middle as a permanent fixture in seasons to come.

Playing him off the HFF over season 2023, and combining with no.5 Elliott, no.37 Hill and no.33 Ginnivan would give us one of the more dynamic small forward brigades in the competition, and a calatalyst to resolving our goal scoring deficit.

Look, apprenticeship aside, you don't place a player with his offensive ability in the backline for too long. Daicos's kick goals, it's in their DNA.
We've sufficient backline class and depth to draw on if he is indeed moved forward over 2023.

So, what's the consenus for season 2023, back, forward or middle? Or just let it naturally evolve.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

Nick Daicos will play mostly as a midfielder for the majority of his stellar career at Collingwood.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

He’ll get tagged pretty much every week this year which will be another challenge for the little gun.
Beware the swooping Magpie.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Boot wrote:Nick Daicos will play mostly as a midfielder for the majority of his stellar career at Collingwood.
As sure as the Sun comes up every day, that'll be the case.

It's his apprenticeship I'm referring to. The same as the likes of Pendles, Swan & Buckley did for two or so seasons following their debut, before rightly taking their permanent role in the middle.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

LaurieHolden wrote:
Boot wrote:Nick Daicos will play mostly as a midfielder for the majority of his stellar career at Collingwood.
As sure as the Sun comes up every day, that'll be the case.

It's his apprenticeship I'm referring to. The same as the likes of Pendles, Swan & Buckley did for two or so seasons following their debut, before rightly taking their permanent role in the middle.
It would do wonders for his career to seek advice and wisdom from the legends mentioned above on how to best play the position. It would set him up to successfully emulate those fabulous players at Collingwood.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

Best that the club coaches council both Nick & Josh Daicos on the way to deal with a heavy tag because their Dad, Peter, struggled to deal with a heavy tag throughout his career when he played as a midfielder and was continuously frustrated by the tactics of heavy taggers when he played. Of course later in his career when used as a full forward he had to rely on his brilliance to overcome the attentions of a fulltime defender, but he seemed to accept the role of a fulltime defender playing in that position better than a tagger playing a purely defensive role in the midfield.

I'm confident that Nick will overcome the challenge of being tagged with the support of a good coaching team, who should be able to assist Nick to deal with this strategy by playing him in roles that allow him to leverage his strengths of reading the play better than most. Nick has already had to put up with being tagged throughout most of his junior career, but the ability and intensity of taggers at AFL level is another challenge to rise above. The trick of being able to remain an effective team player whilst being tagged will be easier for Nick if such opposition tactics allow other on-ballers such as DeGoey, Josh Daicos, Tom Mitchell and Pendlebury to run riot. They can't tag them all!
Also the team support to provide heavy physical attention to taggers is a key to making the game a bit easier for the stars of the team who are subjected to such opposition tactics. Hence the need for the likes of DeGoey, Crisp and Maynard to take every opportunity to apply hard physical and taxing tackles to the opposition tagger. e.g. the team lifting Maynard tackle on Demon winger Ed Langdon in last years 2nd game against Melbourne was the type of attention all taggers against Collingwood should receive this year.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^

There will be days when he gets tagged and it’s all part of a steep learning curve in the seniors.
There are also different types of tags. There’s the run with role and then there’s the hard tag where any spud is called on to block out the ball player from competing without even having his eyes on the footy.
That’s why I’m not fussed about Nicks development and role in 2023. You will find the better teams generally don’t tag because they have enough quality players where their only objective is also the footy.
Nick also needs to learn that when he is tagged, ultimately he can set up a two on one against an opposition player and still help the team without him getting a lot of the ball.
Personally, I don’t mind it whenever an opposition club employs a tag on a Collingwood player. It just means that’s one less opposition player who has his eyes on the footy around the stoppage.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

Four field umpires should make it a slightly easier year to deal with a hard tag