Question about a disparity in cricket laws

For all sporting topics - news, discussion, score updates etc. - other than Aussie Rules and Premier League Soccer.

Moderators: pies4ever, bbmods

lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Question about a disparity in cricket laws

Post by lazzadesilva »

I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Question about a disparity in cricket laws

Post by K »

lazzadesilva wrote: I know that this was the “Ranatunga” rule but he retired years ago and the authorities should revisit this issue. ...
Why would ya think Ranatunga would be the only one to abuse the rules?

In tennis, if cramp's so bad you can't continue, you default the match.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

K

Post by K »

So a retired-hurt batter should be forced to field for the oppo before being allowed to bat again. :wink:
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

That'll stop cricketers exploiting the rule I guess, but opens up a whole new problem.

If that player intentionally drops a catch, are they then guilty of match fixing?
K

Post by K »

If they drop a catch, the robbed bowler is allowed to bowl 6 bouncers an over like in the good old days.
lazzadesilva
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Bucks5
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Bucks5 »

An injured bowler could resume bowling the instant they are ready to return to the game which is why there is a compulsory waiting period.

Injured batters have to wait for a wicket to fall before they can return, which could be a very long wait. It is swings and roundabouts, sometimes they get to return early and other times they may have to wait longer, but on average it probably evens out.
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
K

Post by K »

The problem (re. bowlers) is how to stop cheating ala England in 2006.

Fast bowler finishes spell, immediately leaves field to rest. Serial cheater (and allegedly racist* grub) Vaughan knows exactly when he wants them to bowl again, so they just return to the field halfway between planned spells.

A bit like the AFL medisub stuff, I guess. Get team doctor to sign off?

* See Yorkshire racism allegations in other thread.
K

Post by K »

Lotta debate now about the laws for boundary catches, following Neser's Slogathon catch.

Neser, Renshaw, Hazlewood,...
K

Post by K »

Debate about boundary catches was drowned out by renewed debate about Mankading...

The unusual thing about the boundary catch rule is that it favours the fielder. As cluey folks have pointed out, every controversial rule seems to favour the batters.

And as cluey folks also point out, everyone was taught in school how to back up at the non-striker's end so you don't get run out. (Trail your bat, etc.) Look at the pros now!! None of them gives a s*** about what we were all taught. They just wander out of their crease. They're a metre out of the crease when the ball is delivered. No bat in the crease. And then they make up crazy s*** to claim it's unfair if you run them out!

Good ol' Zampa tried to Mankad a Slogathon opponent. They checked whether he was warning or appealing for a wicket. I'm appealing for a wicket, he said. TV review. Not out. I just got the execution wrong, Zampa said later.

In another Slogathon, Dan Christian bowled the second-last over. He stopped his action. "This is your final warning," he told the non-striker. Next ball... he bowled the guy on strike! In the dressing room, the guy on strike might've complained that his batting partner got him out by disrupting Christian's delivery just before!

Maybe I'll start a separate Mankad thread...