What made you sad today?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Dark Beanie wrote:Sorry for your loss WPT.
From your daughters tribute, a life well lived.
Thanks DB. She was of the generation where despite great adversity you just got on with it.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Condolences WPT, a beautiful tribute by your daughter.
watt price tully

eddiesmith wrote:Condolences WPT, a beautiful tribute by your daughter.
Thanks Eddie
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

I am impressed. Trekking to ABC is a mighty accomplishment. Today’s snowflake generation might struggle with the lack of power to charge their phones, no signal on their phones and no hot water at some of the Teahouses.

May she Rest In Peace.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
watt price tully

What'sinaname wrote:I am impressed. Trekking to ABC is a mighty accomplishment. Today’s snowflake generation might struggle with the lack of power to charge their phones, no signal on their phones and no hot water at some of the Teahouses.

May she Rest In Peace.
Cheers WIAN.
Jezza
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Jezza »

Condolences, WPT.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

watt price tully wrote:I’ve officially joined the orphan club. My Mum died peacefully last Sunday. and Family were able to say goodbye and tell her they loved her. She was 88.

This is a de-identified post from my youngest:

My grandmother (WPT’s Mum) died on Sunday. She was a tour de force - kind, beautiful, funny, intelligent, at times difficult, and always loving. She was born in Warsaw in 1934, survived the holocaust, and married my zaida in a displaced persons camp in Germany when the war finished. They moved to Australia in 1950 first Fitzroy North, then East Brunswick, and later Caulfield South. WPT’s Mum had three children by the time she was 22. She taught herself English, and spoke it fluently alongside Yiddish, Hebrew, Polish and Russian. In Australia, she worked in a nail factory, worked as a clerk in a hospital, went to university late in life and studied arts and law, completing her honours in Russian language. 

Later in her life, WPT’s Mum ran a 1/2 marathon, became president of her rotary club, climbed to Mount Annapurna basecamp and taught jewish history. She taught/volunteered at a local “community school” for kids who have issues fitting in to regular school.

She was also a talented painter and writer, and the most incredible cook. Dinners for Rosh Hashanah or Passover went all night, with gefilte fish, chicken soup, briskets and cakes. As a young child, WPT’s mum always seemed glamorous, lots of gold jewellery and painted nails. She could also be embarrassing - in any cafe we would go into in Caulfield she would announce to everyone that I was her granddaughter…, and that she was so proud of me. 

Alzheimers cruelly marked the last few years of her life. While her mind and memories became unreliable in the end, her love for her family never did, nor did her love for talking with me about the law. 

On Friday, I got to sit with her, and I washed her hands and painted her nails and told her I loved her. I will miss her deeply ❤️
……………………………………………………………………………….

For me a mix of it being sad, awful and a relief. Taking this week off work.
So very sorry for your loss.

I had lost both my parents in quick period of time though it has been four years since my dads and coming up on five since my mums passing still feel the pain so I can understand how much it hurts.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Condolences WPT, what a beautiful and moving in memoriam tribute to your mother's life.

Just reinforces there's so many stories of people you walk past in the Street everyday, without knowing the journey they've walked.

It's part of the reason why I volunteer, particularly for the elderly. You get to talk to people from all walks of life and often, like you mother, there's a rich vein of heartache and joy to be uncovered in their story.

May she rest in peace.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
watt price tully

Jezza wrote:Condolences, WPT.
Thanks Jezza
watt price tully

The Prototype wrote:
watt price tully wrote:I’ve officially joined the orphan club. My Mum died peacefully last Sunday. and Family were able to say goodbye and tell her they loved her. She was 88.

This is a de-identified post from my youngest:

My grandmother (WPT’s Mum) died on Sunday. She was a tour de force - kind, beautiful, funny, intelligent, at times difficult, and always loving. She was born in Warsaw in 1934, survived the holocaust, and married my zaida in a displaced persons camp in Germany when the war finished. They moved to Australia in 1950 first Fitzroy North, then East Brunswick, and later Caulfield South. WPT’s Mum had three children by the time she was 22. She taught herself English, and spoke it fluently alongside Yiddish, Hebrew, Polish and Russian. In Australia, she worked in a nail factory, worked as a clerk in a hospital, went to university late in life and studied arts and law, completing her honours in Russian language. 

Later in her life, WPT’s Mum ran a 1/2 marathon, became president of her rotary club, climbed to Mount Annapurna basecamp and taught jewish history. She taught/volunteered at a local “community school” for kids who have issues fitting in to regular school.

She was also a talented painter and writer, and the most incredible cook. Dinners for Rosh Hashanah or Passover went all night, with gefilte fish, chicken soup, briskets and cakes. As a young child, WPT’s mum always seemed glamorous, lots of gold jewellery and painted nails. She could also be embarrassing - in any cafe we would go into in Caulfield she would announce to everyone that I was her granddaughter…, and that she was so proud of me. 

Alzheimers cruelly marked the last few years of her life. While her mind and memories became unreliable in the end, her love for her family never did, nor did her love for talking with me about the law. 

On Friday, I got to sit with her, and I washed her hands and painted her nails and told her I loved her. I will miss her deeply ❤️
……………………………………………………………………………….

For me a mix of it being sad, awful and a relief. Taking this week off work.
So very sorry for your loss.

I had lost both my parents in quick period of time though it has been four years since my dads and coming up on five since my mums passing still feel the pain so I can understand how much it hurts.
Cheers prototype. Dad died about 9-10 years ago but my parents had divorced by then. Mrs WPT & I have been heavily involved with the care & support of Mum keeping her at home then into care about 3 years ago
watt price tully

LaurieHolden wrote:Condolences WPT, what a beautiful and moving in memoriam tribute to your mother's life.

Just reinforces there's so many stories of people you walk past in the Street everyday, without knowing the journey they've walked.

It's part of the reason why I volunteer, particularly for the elderly. You get to talk to people from all walks of life and often, like you mother, there's a rich vein of heartache and joy to be uncovered in their story.

May she rest in peace.
Cheers Laurie
djh
Has liked: 1 time

Post by djh »

My condolences too, WPT.
watt price tully

djh wrote:My condolences too, WPT.
Thanks for that.
KenH

Post by KenH »

Feel for ya WPT, I only have my Mum left and dread the day she won't be around.
Cheers big ears
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

I just picked up up that sad news about your mum, WPT. Thoughts with you, fella.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm