Post inauguration Trump:

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by doriswilgus »

stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Smells like a Democrat witch hunt, which is not to say there's no truth to the allegations, but each of the separate inquiries have been initiated by prominent Democrats as I understand it.

The sad thing is both that he's clearly the front runner for the Republican nomination while clearly being unsuited to any public office and that the Democrats are so threatened by him that they're pulling out all stops.

What a farce of a political system.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

That’s very true but I feel that the evidence will be overwhelming to prove the allegations. Not looking good for him even at this early stage. However I have got my popcorn machine ready to go and watch the circus
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
David

Post by David »

Given how comically inept he and his legal team were, I think it's highly unlikely they did anything to cover their traces or give them some sort of legal out. What I've heard is that they're planning a free speech defence, which would be ludicrous under the circumstances. Trying to goad others into committing crimes on your behalf (like asking the Georgia election official to "find" 11,000 votes) is flagrantly illegal, and obviously not covered by the First Amendment.

Sometimes if you step on enough rakes, one will hit you in the face, and that's what seems to have finally happened to Trump and co. here.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

This numpty has always thought that he was above the law and has got away with many things that the common person would not have done. But the game is now up and Trump knows it. He has to face the music arranged by people, most of whom he hasn’t appointed, doesn’t know and doesn’t like. So now the arrogant Trump has become a sooky sooky la la type whinging and whining about the situation that he has brought on himself. However he is still entitled to a fair trial and legal process as much as can be provided to someone of his stature. It will be very interesting to see what happens.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
David

Post by David »

This article makes the point that, even before any of the cases are heard, Trump may already be in contempt of court by writing social media posts calling the judge corrupt:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/16/us/p ... ocial.html

The likelihood that they won’t get him on that suggests that he’s not the subject of a witch hunt and, if anything, being treated with kid gloves. Trump certainly seems to believe it’s one rule for him and one for everyone else, and unfortunately the American justice system hasn’t done much so far to suggest otherwise.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

David wrote:This article makes the point that, even before any of the cases are heard, Trump may already be in contempt of court by writing social media posts calling the judge corrupt:

The likelihood that they won’t get him on that suggests that he’s not the subject of a witch hunt and, if anything, being treated with kid gloves. Trump certainly seems to believe it’s one rule for him and one for everyone else, and unfortunately the American justice system hasn’t done much so far to suggest otherwise.
Indeed, Trump is being treated with kid gloves. His most criminal action of all, to organise a fascist mob to attack the White House with a view to overthrowing the US constitution and installing Trump as a presidential dictator, is not mentioned anywhere in the charges.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
What'sinaname
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Magpietothemax wrote:
David wrote:This article makes the point that, even before any of the cases are heard, Trump may already be in contempt of court by writing social media posts calling the judge corrupt:

Indeed, Trump is being treated with kid gloves. His most criminal action of all, to organise a fascist mob to attack the White House with a view to overthrowing the US constitution and installing Trump as a presidential dictator, is not mentioned anywhere in the charges.
Because he didn't incite an attack on the White House. I can prove it to be true.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Interesting article. https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-a ... 5dwzj.html

Premise is, Bill Clinton lowered the bar on what's acceptable as POTUS and Trump is following the playbook.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

What'sinaname wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:

Because he didn't incite an attack on the White House. I can prove it to be true.
I bet you can also prove that the moon landing didn't happen.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

stui magpie wrote:Interesting article. https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-a ... 5dwzj.html

Premise is, Bill Clinton lowered the bar on what's acceptable as POTUS and Trump is following the playbook.
Can't read the article because of the paywall in the Age, so can't comment on the argument offered there.
However, what is true is that the Democrats are the ones responsible for the kid glove treatment afforded to Trump. They want to maintain a "strong Republican party" (Biden's own words) so that they can get bipartisan support for their support for Ukraine as a spearhead against Russia. Therefvore, for 2 years, they have allowed Trump- a fascistic billionaire who attempted to overthrow an election - to roam around free, promoting his lying claims that he was "robbed". Systematically, the Democrats sought to cover up the extent of the coup attempt: that, for example, it was supported by substantial sections of the military intelligence apparatus, and was not just the mad idea of the criminal individual Trump. The fact that now, sections of the Democratic party have decided to indict Trump only means that they view him now as too much of a loose cannon, who is derailing their attempts to placate sections of the Republican party.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
What'sinaname
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Magpietothemax wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
I bet you can also prove that the moon landing didn't happen.
Nah, but I, and every court in the world can prove he is innocent of inciting any attack on the White House
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
doriswilgus
Been liked: 23 times

Post by doriswilgus »

Wow,you speak for every court in the world now.