Post Match. Lions beat Pies. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

qldmagpie67 wrote:Don’t be mistaken last night wasn’t a lack of personnel it was a exposure of players weaknesses
The blue print has been there for months not a few weeks it was masked by other teams inability to make the most of there opportunities

Mitchell Adams Lipinski Sidey all are too slow and there disposal by both hand and foot is well below the standard needed to play the game style the coach wants
Agree with this, they looked like treacle out there, and with 2 ruckmen after the sub we looked far too slow.

McCreery needs to get involved more, what happened to those bone crunching tackles we saw in the 1st half on the year?

Lions footskills were amazing its true, but they wer4e allowed too much space when disposing, I don't think we will see that much space in September....
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
VicParkTragic
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by VicParkTragic »

It was interesting watching Cox at the centre bounce last night. He seemed to use the tactic of simply hitting the ball towards our goal allowing pit players to run on to it. I don’t know why this isn’t a tactic used more often. Given coxs height his objective becomes simplified. Worked well I thought.
Living in Geelong, barracking for the 'pies!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 88 times

Post by RudeBoy »

The result itself was fairly predictable, given our outs, the location, and the unbalanced importance of the game to each side.

However, we are definitely in a form slump at the wrong end of the season. Our problem is the midfield. Last night, our midfield was carried by Pendles, with little support from anyone else. Mitchell did his usual on his hands and knees palming the ball out of packs, but we had virtually no drive from fast running mids. Obviously JDG will help rectify this, but let's not forget we were losing centre clearances even when he was in.

There is no quick fix to our problems, because we simply do not have the weapons at our disposal to make a big difference. Nevertheless, I, like others, have been puzzled why Carmichael has not been given more senior games, after his promising debut last year.

I hate picking out players for criticism, but am I the only one who thinks Lipinski is a tad soft?

Regardless of what happens against the Bummers, I'm hoping that the week off before the finals will be the tonic we need to freshen up and return to our early season form.

By the way, I was one who predicted Cox as our sub.
Last edited by RudeBoy on Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

Did anyone honestly think we would win that with Moore, De Goey and Daicos out? At Docklands. Brisbane near full strength and top 2 to play for.
Yeah, it's frustrating, but fact is Lions played out of their skin, kicked straight and we only lost by 4 goals.Losing Murphy in the last didn't help. That left only Frampton as our KPD.
Excuses, yes, but how do we honestly win that?

I assume will be missing Murphy and Beau for next week.
Hopefully Jordy and Bobby are back. Cox stays in the side.

We still will finish top 2!! It is far from over. Finals are a new season and we will be there.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by Big T »

eddiesmith wrote:At the end of the day Brisbanes full strength team beat us away from our home ground by just 24 points whilst we were missing 5-6 key players.

Yet we haven’t played them at the MCG since 2017, that’s 6 seasons without a single game at our home ground, how does that work out?
Good post and totally agree.
Buon Giorno
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

What'sinaname wrote:Club officially in crisis. Carlton ended our season and exposed us as frauds. We’re not making past the 2nd week of finals
Only one FRAUD that I can see in this comment.Pretending to be a "Supporter"Our 4 best players out, playing a home game that CLEARLY advantages the opposition, and umpires plainly refusing to pay us free kicks and 4 of the vermin not even noticing Harris Andrews taking 4 steps over the mark. We are still on top and at least 2 players will come back next week, maybe 3 and we will be there. Maybe you won't be.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

the fuzz wrote:Did anyone honestly think we would win that with Moore, De Goey and Daicos out? At Docklands. Brisbane near full strength and top 2 to play for.
Yeah, it's frustrating, but fact is Lions played out of their skin, kicked straight and we only lost by 4 goals.Losing Murphy in the last didn't help. That left only Frampton as our KPD.
Excuses, yes, but how do we honestly win that?

I assume will be missing Murphy and Beau for next week.
Hopefully Jordy and Bobby are back. Cox stays in the side.

We still will finish top 2!! It is far from over. Finals are a new season and we will be there.
100% this, thanks for the common sense comment Fuzz! Brisbane are also playing for two straight home finals if they win next week as well.

I still think we would have won this at the G. No wonder the AFL is thinking of us playing the first final at Marvel against port (if the ladder doesn’t dramatically change next week).
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

masoncox wrote:As a piece of trivia.
Ryan had negative 3 metres gain.
Great first game
More trivia
Kade Simpson ( another half back flanker and 300 game player ) didn’t get a touch in his first 8 games of footy. Both comments are about as relevant as each other but hopefully some will see the point of mine.
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

If Frampton is the answer in defence, then clearly, the wrong question is being asked. He is another horror story unfolding. Plain refuses to attempt to mark the ball, which suggests he's not much chop at it and his punching/spoiling technique is just scary. and gets caught in no mans land way too many times. He is NOT a key defender. John Noble had his worst game I have ever seen him play last night.He was nowhere near anyone and they played through his man with monotonous regularity. Someone said we are slow, but Hill, Daicos and JDG add that pace and the players mentioned in the SLOW thread, get to play their roles. It seemed to me that the club just didn't seem to care about this game.Flys press conference on Thursday,suggested as much to me.Interesting umpiring again. AhChee gets paid a free for tunnelling and Murphy doesn't and Andrews takes 4 steps over the mark and doesn't , not only get moved back, but no 50.
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

If Frampton is the answer in defence, then clearly, the wrong question is being asked. He is another horror story unfolding. Plain refuses to attempt to mark the ball, which suggests he's not much chop at it and his punching/spoiling technique is just scary. and gets caught in no mans land way too many times. He is NOT a key defender. John Noble had his worst game I have ever seen him play last night.He was nowhere near anyone and they played through his man with monotonous regularity. Someone said we are slow, but Hill, Daicos and JDG add that pace and the players mentioned in the SLOW thread, get to play their roles. It seemed to me that the club just didn't seem to care about this game.Flys press conference on Thursday,suggested as much to me.Interesting umpiring again. AhChee gets paid a free for tunnelling and Murphy doesn't and Andrews takes 4 steps over the mark and doesn't , not only get moved back, but no 50.
Pete 70
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Pete 70 »

I always think it’s wrong to tell someone how they should be feeling. I suspect many of us are quite flat. These are just my thoughts. They may or may not be correct. And I admit I am a tad biased.

1 Form is interesting as is desire. Last week we toyed with Geelong. This was such a dead rubber. Care factor actually close to zero. Reminds me a little of that last home and away game in 11, and I am super critical of Malthouse for that because Geel smashed us by 100 odd and it gave them hope. I so wished we had played the entire reserve team that game. We lost last night. I’m not sure I equate that with a crisis. Players are human and last night felt a bit like going through the motions at times. Even fly admits Degoey and Hill would have played if a final.

2 I hate Marvel for a lot of reasons. But this season it seriously takes away our weapons beacuse everything is bunched up. It’s like a shitter version of the SCG.

3 That game meant so much for Brisbane. Lose they most likely lose a home final.

4 Our defence struggled in the last quarter and a half because we are without our full back and centre half back.

5 I’m actually glad we didn’t overly experiment last night. The same team that beat Port in Port and smashed Geel will be there in the finals.

6 I don’t think we are flirting with form, we’ve basically had a month of slightly meaningless games. August premiers just as meaningless as July premiers.

7 Excited that Carlton are everyone (else’s) favourite team. Hated that we were premiership favourites. Out of curiosity when was the last time the Blues won a final?

8 I’d rest Cameron next week and play Johnson and, put Howe down back. I’d persist with Johnson. I reckon he could kick 3 in a quarter in a final.

9 How was that fu..ing Andrews creeping over the mark in the last against Mio missed. I could not be more over shit umpiring.

10 Yep Pendels is slow, but not his mind looking forward to him back with Nick and Degoey in the Prelim. Reckon Pendels a Smokey for the Norm Smith.

11 We are guaranteed to finish 1 or 2. Then the real stuff starts.

13 What would I know really though, other than I love this club.

14 Have a good weekend all. Come next week we’ll have a qualifying final to look forward to. And just quietly reckon Melbourne will beat Brisbane if they okay them week 1.
Dispatches from a foreign land
Pete 70
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Pete 70 »

I always think it’s wrong to tell someone how they should be feeling. I suspect many of us are quite flat. These are just my thoughts. They may or may not be correct. And I admit I am a tad biased.

1 Form is interesting as is desire. Last week we toyed with Geelong. This was such a dead rubber. Care factor actually close to zero. Reminds me a little of that last home and away game in 11, and I am super critical of Malthouse for that because Geel smashed us by 100 odd and it gave them hope. I so wished we had played the entire reserve team that game. We lost last night. I’m not sure I equate that with a crisis. Players are human and last night felt a bit like going through the motions at times. Even fly admits Degoey and Hill would have played if a final.

2 I hate Marvel for a lot of reasons. But this season it seriously takes away our weapons beacuse everything is bunched up. It’s like a shitter version of the SCG.

3 That game meant so much for Brisbane. Lose they most likely lose a home final.

4 Our defence struggled in the last quarter and a half because we are without our full back and centre half back.

5 I’m actually glad we didn’t overly experiment last night. The same team that beat Port in Port and smashed Geel will be there in the finals.

6 I don’t think we are flirting with form, we’ve basically had a month of slightly meaningless games. August premiers just as meaningless as July premiers.

7 Excited that Carlton are everyone (else’s) favourite team. Hated that we were premiership favourites. Out of curiosity when was the last time the Blues won a final?

8 I’d rest Cameron next week and play Johnson and, put Howe down back. I’d persist with Johnson. I reckon he could kick 3 in a quarter in a final.

9 How was that fu..ing Andrews creeping over the mark in the last against Mio missed. I could not be more over shit umpiring.

10 Yep Pendels is slow, but not his mind looking forward to him back with Nick and Degoey in the Prelim. Reckon Pendels a Smokey for the Norm Smith.

11 We are guaranteed to finish 1 or 2. Then the real stuff starts.

13 What would I know really though, other than I love this club.

14 Have a good weekend all. Come next week we’ll have a qualifying final to look forward to. And just quietly reckon Melbourne will beat Brisbane if they okay them week 1.
Dispatches from a foreign land
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

The VFL team is playing SouthPort today at the AIA Centre.

Game can be viewed via livestream:

https://www.afl.com.au/vfl/matches/5277#summary
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

qldmagpie67 wrote:Don’t be mistaken last night wasn’t a lack of personnel it was a exposure of players weaknesses
The blue print has been there for months not a few weeks it was masked by other teams inability to make the most of there opportunities

Mitchell Adams Lipinski Sidey all are too slow and there disposal by both hand and foot is well below the standard needed to play the game style the coach wants
They all just give the ball off to whoever doesn’t matter how much pressure that team mate is under and it’s turned over and we get exposed defensively pushing to hard up field
Last night Sidey first 3 disposals went like this. out on full from a hack kick when he had time but panicked, second was a missed kick to a team mate 20m in the clear hit a lions player on the chest led straight to a lions goal third was a handball which hit Pendles on the toes when he had 2 lions players on him.
Mitchell was equally as poor his first 4 touches either missed the target or where turnovers
Lipinski missed 5 kicks to Team mates in the clear 2 off the instep of his boot
Adams disposal has never been his strong suit but the last few weeks it’s hitting new lows

The lack of speed from all 4 kill us as well
When a team is rebounding from there defensive 50 whoever is playing on those guys just runs straight off them generally into the corridor the ball gets switched inboard our HBF all rush up the ball goes over them and we are exposed
The loss of JDG and Nick D has really exposed our lack of pace in the middle

So we either completely alter the game plan or we change personnel
We don’t have time to change game plan so move the magnets

Adams doesn’t leave the forward 50 he stays put away from butchering the ball in the middle
Pendles moves back to HBF and IQ goes onto the ball. His speed and foot skills we be more valuable there.
Mitchell stays in the centre he’s still our most reliable ball winner at the bottom of the pack
Lipinski misses out altogether. Bring in HH and play him as a small forward and use McCreery around the contest. His breaking speed away and body size would be very useful
WHE plays on 1 wing he’s a decent mark and good kick
Sidey goes to sub and can think himself lucky to retain that spot

Cox starts at FF Howe goes back to try plug the losses of Moore and now Murphy (likely concussion) i
When JDG is back either him or Elliott are are in the middle at all times they work best in traffic we have available

We can’t expect to win a finals game with so many slow players in the middle it’s that simple
Posters need to read this again.
It is at the heart of what is wrong and what needs to be done.
We have a top spot on the ladder so take advantage of it.
The 4 players have no explosive pace.
Remember what Dangerfield did to us last week and Neale did to us last night.
Pendles is in the same position ...no explosive pace.
He relies on skill and craft to get around this but he is getting slower every year.
Last edited by masoncox on Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by shawthing »

Piesnchess wrote:^ JN Fly we trust, he answered those questions very well, we are certainly no in panic mode, nor should we, long way to go yet. I well recall, in 1980 Richmond lost last game of the season to Swans. by around nine goals, Tigers were on top too. Guess who won the flag ?.
Have you actually seen the presser? McRae's body language was shocking. He had NFI and was actually fishing among the journos for answer. If you think Collingwood 2023 is in the same class as Richmond 1980 you've been smoking too much crack.

Mick Malthouse summed it up years ago. We don't have the cattle. The brilliance of Nick Daicos, DeGoey and Moore earlier in the season covered a multitude of sins. We're done. You can't just flick a switch in the finals. Collingwood's finals records is not that good. At this stage I'll be happy to not go out in straight sets or lose a Prelim to Carlton.