Post Match. Pies win thriller. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

Fly's presser

It's been a big 2-year effort, do you feel like you at least deserve a spot in the Grand Final?
"Deserve is an interesting word, but I suppose we've got ourselves in this position. We're really proud of our journey. We mentioned during the week that it takes about 2 years to get to these moments, well our story is at least. Even after the game, I mentioned on the whiteboard that 2 years of doing 1-on-1 fight drills like we do it every session. Two minutes of it, tick off. Two minutes, the next one. I don't know how many hours that is, but you saw some of those contests in the last quarter. How much we'd rehearsed those moments. We sit in this and take a little bit of a breath and be really proud of what we've achieved so far".
Were you always confident in those last few minutes as a result of that they would get over the line?
"As much as you can be. GWS were amazing. Kingers has done an incredible job in such a short period of time and we sat there last year at a 1-point loss. It's a pretty similar story really. Their second half of the year was outstanding. He's done an amazing job with that group and as much as you don't get to go into next week, he should be really proud of what he's done".
Two finals now where you had to really hang on grimly in the last quarter and you're able to close it out. How is the resilience of this group to be able to do that in two big finals?
"Week after week, I sit here and we've won a close game again and last year we didn't quite get it done in finals. We lost a couple of close ones, but all those lessons are why we're here now and we're still breathing because we practise it. Two years of practising scenarios. Two minutes to go, kill the game. Two minutes to go, we need to win. It's rehearsed for these moments and you create habits and yeah you need a bit of luck here and there. I think we might have killed the clock for three minutes. The ball didn't move very fast. We've got work to do, there's a couple of scenarios in particular in the last quarter I thought we could have executed better".
What was the main message at Half Time to get the team back in the game?
"We knew that GWS' last two weeks, their second quarters have been outstanding. That's when they put the foot down and put the opposition away and we knew that was going to come. I didn't feel like they put us away though. I thought we hung in there when we needed to and it's probably as good as they were, I think our ability to just hang tough without the scoreboard affecting too much more. The message at Half Time was I thought we were a bit too slow and stodgy. We didn't move the ball quick enough. Not brave enough. Not enough overlap run and get some chaos in the game. That was the message and then we had to try to put Nick [Daicos] to half back to get some run and carry and try to get the game going a bit more".
It's not often you win a game where you don't kick a goal for an hour and then another quarter you kick one goal.
"We did that last game".
It's feast or famine with you guys isn't it when it comes to scoring goals?
"Yeah, somewhat. I think every game is a little bit different. We've got work to do still. We're running out of time, 120 minutes to go to make those little parts of our game better. We'll keep learning".
What's the early diagnosis with Dan McStay?
"He's going to get scans. I'm not great with this with the terminology. I'm not sure if it's an MCL. I'm not sure, so we'll get scans. I would have thought...I don't know. I don't want to put a definite decision on it, but I think he might be unlucky to miss out. We'll wait and see".
Have you had a chat with Dan McStay? How is he?
"At the moment until you really know, you just put your arms around him and show love and support as best as you can. That'll play out pretty quickly I would have thought".
If McStay's not available, how do you replace him for next week?
"Can I just stay here for a minute. I think we'll stay here. We'll have plenty of time to work out what a replacement looks like. We'll stay here".
What impact do you think McStay had on the game playing on Sam Taylor
"He had moments, he really did. Early he was significant, jumping and marking the ball. You can see why we get him, like why he's important to us. We need someone who can mark the ball forward of centre. If he doesn't quite get up, he'll be missed".
What was the plan with Nick Daicos tonight? It felt like he had limited game time early and started on the beach of course and he seemed to improve as the game went on. How did you sort of set him up for tonight?
"I said pregame that six minutes on the bench is not the end of the world. We just wanted the game to settle in a little bit. We just wanted to put Nick where we need thought we needed him and conscious of he hasn't played for a long time and allow him to play to his strengths. A bit of forward, a bit of mid and then I like I said we move him to half back to get some run and carry. To get that part of our game going. Got a feeling he's going to get better".
What did you make of Jordan De Goey's incredible individual game?
"What a great game from him. I thought he set himself up for the last final unbelievably well. He trained at a level that I thought 'oh god, he's going to tear the game apart against Melbourne'. It didn't quite come through to that and then sometimes you get a little bit despondent with that, but no he just went back to work. If you can watch our match play, he kicked three goals in a quarter on Friday night and then he's just trained so well so that doesn't surprise me, the performance. A player of his talent training at that level, he set himself up unbelievably to play well and when he's at full flight, he's a weapon isn't he".
Can you talk us through the evolution and development of Jordan De Goey because it's been about 12 months to the day since he re-signed and turned his back on free agency. He's had a career best year and become a star
"We all grow up don't we? I'm 50 today. I'm getting a bit old. He's 26 or something. He's growing. Some take a little bit longer to find who they are and we're really proud of his journey, his growth. We all want to keep growing. People don't like change. You'll notice [someone] say 'oh you need to change'. No one likes to change, but people like to grow. People want to grow so we'll continue to use that language around our environment. Let's get better. Jordie's to credit to him, Jacqui Louder has done an incredible job supporting him. Finding him out about himself. He's a work in progress. He's not finished, but what you're seeing definitely is a guy that's growing up".
In terms of the week ahead, you've got plenty of guys that haven't played in a Grand Final. You got so much Grand Final experience, but specifically as a player do you have valuable intel to pass onto them.
"It's been 20 years, but the message after the game was smell it all, take it all in and embrace every single bit of it. Take every bit of it in. The parades, the training, the crowds. There'll be a hurricane going on around you and we just got to sit in the middle of it and do the job that we need to do, but we've got one to go. I know we celebrate it hard and there might be certain sections of someone who will want to judge that but our whole story for the last two years is bring the fans along with us. We don't win this game, I'm talking to the fans. We do not win this game without their support. 97,000 people, thank you so much. Magpie army, they drove us over the line. They dragged us over the line. We love you very much".
Brownlow Medal on Monday night, what would it mean if Nick Daicos can pull it off?
"It would be pretty special wouldn't it. It's a reflection of his year. It's a reflection on us as a team. Five weeks to go, it'll be interesting where he sits".
Will Taylor Adams be available for the Grand Final?
"That's going to be a watch the clock. I think every second is going to be needed. We'll push it to the line and we'll see what we get".
Do you reckon you'll have an extra glass of red tonight given it's your Birthday?
"I do like the red wine replay. Glass of red and waters replay. I'll definitely go home and do that and I think it'll taste pretty nice".
How do you feel being in your 50s?
"I'm enjoying my 50s. It's been good to me so far. I went into the year thinking 50 is a big number. I'll keep it on the lowdown, it didn't quite come out that way did it".
What did Richmond do so well in those Grand Finals because you were a part of it at the time. What lessons from your Richmond days might you bring to this Grand Final?
"All of its great lessons for experience. We get Pendles and Steele, those guys have lived it too. We'll draw upon all of it. Stay in the moment. Control what you can and embrace every bit of it. They're the lessons I've learned".
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/ ... 5391990001
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
aus50ford
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by aus50ford »

I don't have a snappy catch phrase
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

piedys wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:GWS were the form side of the competition. That's as tough a game as we'll get this year.
Tell me - I watched their game last week vs Port.
I'd presumed that was their gearbox maxed out?

I'm sure they ran even harder and longer last night against us, did they not?
Yes they were a big surprise throughout the game. I hope our fresher legs were the difference but their effort was huge and reminds you of how much talent they still have despite their annual trade and draft bonanza. Plenty for GWS to have pride about and a sore loss for them to ponder.

So glad that was the result and the Pies got up. Who knows what happens from hear but we’ve overcome a great team to make it the GF
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

Elliott, Moore, J Daicos and Murphy.

The four players who were on our list in 2018, but didn't play in the Grand Final that year. Over the moon for all of them that they've got their opportunity now.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Who was the last player to touch the ball.

I saw the footage it was either Crisp or JDG.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
David
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

90 nice wrote:Who was the last player to touch the ball.

I saw the footage it was either Crisp or JDG.
not 100% sure, but I thought it was Bobby Hill.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

To me, the replay, we looked a tad rusty . maybe we had TOO much of a rest, GWS were not affected by short break one iota. But, now we have blown the cobwebs away , and a real tough Final is just what we needed, I reckon. Now we can get down to business, re load, re generate, and get to really step up, our 45th Grand Final, and, hopefully, SWEET LITTLE SIXTEEN. - CHUCK BERRY.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Seems DMac is doubtful to get up. I bloody hope he does, but assuming he doesn’t play there’s a spot open.

As painful as it is, I can’t see them risking Adams. Too dicey. If he were to twang it early, the rotations are shot.

Frampton in and Howe forward would be a disaster I reckon. Howe was HUGE last night and vital as an interceptor. Why take away one of our major strengths; and Frampton has missed way too much footy.

The answer for mine is that Johnny Noble comes in. Will slot back into the backline seamlessly… or could start sub.

Coxy spends more time forward to cover DMac’s absence.

Having said all that, I pray for DMac’s knee
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
David
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

^ Agreed that moving Howe forward would be robbing Peter to pay Paul. Could we consider playing Frampton forward instead?

I must say I do prefer the idea of bringing Noble in and shuffling things around.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by Big T »

Hope Ollie Henry's end of season trip is going well!
Buon Giorno
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

LOL, did not take sore loser dickheads ringing up radio, saying Umpires robbed the Giants, and they should have won. Caro banging on bout the umpiring, and Giants. ! Whinging bout Toby and that head tackle, hey, HELLO, how many times did Jack Ginni get tackled round the neck, and NO free, last season, and into this one ?? Lot of hate for our Pies, no doubt loser sucks Deees, Scum, saints, Dawk fans, this only makes us stronger.!
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

piedys wrote:
90 nice wrote:For the big grand final i have:

Out: McStay In: Kruger

Adams in as well.

Like this kind of line up.

FB: IQ Moore Howe
CB: Maynard Murphy Nick Daicos
C: Josh Daicos Adams Pendles
CF: Hill Checkers Crisp
FF: Elliott Kruger McCreery
R: Cox JDG Mitchell
INT: Side Cameron WHE Noble
SUB: Ginny
The Amazing, vanishing - Lipinski!
He always forgets someone - usually it's Markov!
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

yeah i will put Markov there in midifield.

Again very tight to get in there.

Who comes in for McStay.

its either frampton, mcinness or kruger

just need an extra tall there.

or we could use cameron there and shuffle things around in the ruck duties.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

That was just the sort of game we needed and it was a game that brought out effort and striving from the whole team. Like some here I wasn't impressed with Lipinski in the first half (especially that ball drop) but to his credit he was better in the second half. I think a factor in that was Nick D getting his game going in packs and clearances in the second half. That allowed Lipinski to play his more usual role as an outside midfielder. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he was given a few quiet words at half time.

I liked Cameron's game, Darcy isn't in great form but he took his opportunities and his pack marking was valuable and he always gives 100%. His joy after the win was obvious and its shows how much he cares for this team. Mason is taking his ruck game to a new level. He is bringing more and more intelligent aggression to his game and his tap work is also very smart often.

WHE and Oleg did what was expected and should be safe for selection next week. Our forwards were locked in a fierce battle with GWS' defenders and opportunities were pretty sparse but they were reasonably accurate when they got chances which was good.

Our backs performed very well mostly. Murphy kept the dangerous Ricardi quiet and opportunities for Hogan were pretty well covered too. We seemed to be rotating players on Toby Greene and that worked pretty well too. Both WHE and Josh D did well helping out the backs too.

Sidey and Pendles were both very good though Pendles is becoming the master of getting caught with the ball and not giving away frees! His entries into the forward 50 were well crafted and dangerous. He is still the master. Sidey was everywhere, forward and back doing his thing. His gut running is awesome. Jack Crisp is an awesome player. His work in the second and third quarters were match winning efforts. Watching JDG, I thought that was probably his best game for the club I have seen. He was almost unstoppable.

In terms of replacing the unfortunate Dan McStay (I thought he was very effective before his injury), maybe it will be Frampton but I want to ask is McInnes fit? (asking for a friend :) )
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�