Post Grand Final. Sweet 16. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Cam
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

Ah Ollie Henry... good decision mate

We had all the stats going our way at 3/4 time, I said to my mate Tim, I think we got them. I am never positive, but it felt right. Even after Daniher goaled I thought "That's fine, we will just kill the ball for two minutes."

Flagpies. You #$#$# beauty.
Get back on top.
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

Just so grateful
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Meredith1965 wrote:The only negative about this for me is Johnny Noble. Adams, McStay, well, injuries happen. But to play heart and soul every game -every game - this year and then to miss out on every final… him in tears after game was hard to watch.

I hope we can win another next year -it is far from impossible - with him in it.
I think that's part of the reason we won it, being able to drop fringe players even if they do play every game.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

eddiesmith wrote:
Meredith1965 wrote:The only negative about this for me is Johnny Noble. Adams, McStay, well, injuries happen. But to play heart and soul every game -every game - this year and then to miss out on every final… him in tears after game was hard to watch.

I hope we can win another next year -it is far from impossible - with him in it.
I think that's part of the reason we won it, being able to drop fringe players even if they do play every game.
Well, given where it landed, you can only assume it was the right decision. But Noble has been such a heart and soul player, and he’s one of us - so it’s still wrenching to see him miss out on the thing they all play for.
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

The diffrence today was our midfield actually broke even or were a Little ahead of the lions
DT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by DT »

Cam wrote:Ah Ollie Henry... good decision mate

We had all the stats going our way at 3/4 time, I said to my mate Tim, I think we got them. I am never positive, but it felt right. Even after Daniher goaled I thought "That's fine, we will just kill the ball for two minutes."

Flagpies. You #$#$# beauty.
Yep I knew we would win at 3/4 time - as McRae said the team manages the moments so well. Such a brilliant win. The atmosphere at the ground was electric
Daicos, impossible angle ... Goal!
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

I thought Cox was terrific today. Every time he came off, Brisbane would start winning the clearances. A goal would have been icing.

Well done Mason.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Raw Hammer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Raw Hammer »

I love you all.
Est. 2002
Pete 70
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Pete 70 »

So many beautiful moments. Pendels celebration on getting his medal. Wow. What a brilliant typical Collingwood roller-coaster. My goodness. I was born 1970. Had season tickets in the Rush stand at Victoria Park. My heroes were Peter Daicos and Peter Moore. To have them experience this through their sons means everything. When we won in 2010, and unveiled the flag the next year, it was at the G against Carlton and some of their shitty fans unfurled a sign that read “16 was better”. Yep dickheads I’m happy to admit you were right. Bring on 17. Enjoy the summer all before we get Naughton next year. Wow
Dispatches from a foreign land
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Meredith1965 wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:

Well, given where it landed, you can only assume it was the right decision. But Noble has been such a heart and soul player, and he’s one of us - so it’s still wrenching to see him miss out on the thing they all play for.
It is heartbreaking for those players, I've been there in cricket before, but unfortunately it takes those ruthless calls to be successful, like Leon in 2010.

This year my footy team decided to reward the players who'd played all year, the other team decided 3-4 games out from finals they weren't good enough so brought in a whole heap of new players just to qualify. If we'd picked the players for us who'd played early but went to higher grades but were eligible who knows what would have happened?

Unfortunately to be successful you need to put aside the sentiment and make the hard calls, this club has been doing that since they decided to get rid of a club champion who just wasn't cutting it as coach and has continued that way to this week.

Realistically Noble is a good depth player, but a premiership side he probably shouldn't be playing. Frampton is another, but he got in solely on positional depth.

But every club needs those depth players to be successful, right now full forward and ruck are the 2 positions we lack a little in depth, but the rest are looking good.
Geek

Post by Geek »

Pete 70 wrote:So many beautiful moments. Pendels celebration on getting his medal. Wow. What a brilliant typical Collingwood roller-coaster. My goodness. I was born 1970. Had season tickets in the Rush stand at Victoria Park. My heroes were Peter Daicos and Peter Moore. To have them experience this through their sons means everything. When we won in 2010, and unveiled the flag the next year, it was at the G against Carlton and some of their shitty fans unfurled a sign that read “16 was better”. Yep dickheads I’m happy to admit you were right. Bring on 17. Enjoy the summer all before we get Naughton next year. Wow
Ye gods..... With Naughton playing today we'd have kicked 4.24 :)

Great contested mark and a sweet arsed perm on him but his goal kicking makes Clokey look like Plugger
i hate carlton
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by i hate carlton »

Finally! So proud of this team and coach. Streetfight to the end.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

Meredith1965 wrote:
pietillidie wrote:Can someone check on piedys? He might still have his eyes covered! This is what the trauma of past grand finals lost can do to a bloke - here's his last comment in the match thread:
piedys wrote:cannot watch; broken...
:lol: :lol:
Haha yes. Someone send a psychiatrist.
Nothing to see here peeps; only PTSD from 2018 manifesting again.

Once we gifted tinarse Cameron yet another goal with 5 minutes left on the clock, I hit meltdown stage... psychiatrists retire thanks to me...
Sorry if that's a defeatist mindset, but I feared the heat had taken it's toll collectively on the team.
Cue next centre bounce JDG, the Daici, and well just about everybody else who pulled that margin back, enabling Steele to roost that bomb.
Was on the phone to Magpietothemax, at that time, who also felt the anxiety too much...

Big shout out to Berry, who just cost Lions the flag with 50M penalties.
Big shout out to Grundy, at home, counting his ca$h, and wondering if he can demoralise a 5th AFL coach in 4 seasons...

Big shout out to GWS; thanks for the hit-out last week lads
Big shout out to Melbourne; coulda, shoulda, woulda....
Big shout out to Whorethorn; who somehow beat both grand finalists on MCG during the season, but can't beat also rans...
Big shout out to Caaaaarrrrlllton... just to say suck it hard, you pricks.

Go Pies; more tomorrow boys and girls - I'm stuffed.

Well battled Magpies; mission accomplished.

ps. Is it wrong to eat like 4 Dons hot dogs in long rolls, by the 3rd quarter?
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

magpieazza wrote:Just on Sideys remarkable goal. I said he was a good kick but didnt think he would make the distance especially with all the fatigue....I looked at the way he held the ball and he held it so that the drop of the ball would line up straight of the boot as he took that arc at the last minute...dont think it was a torp which in my book is a better skill because he got distance and accuracy!! but I could be wrong...
Yeah, it crossed my mind he might have purposely done that even with a drop punt to get yardage. Either way, football IQ off the charts, because he knew it was still a kick he had to make as the 50 was otherwise impenetrable off a standing start play.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

Raw Hammer wrote:I love you all.
And we love Hammer Time! :P
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever