Post Grand Final. Sweet 16. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

Whoever played on Coleman in the second half did a proper number on him.

22 touches to half time. 4 in the second half.

Anyone know who went to him after half time??
Beware the swooping Magpie.
uncanny
Been liked: 12 times

Post by uncanny »

What a wonderful win and privilege to be there to see it.
I have just read through the posts and appreciate the many insights made which complement my understanding of what went on out there.

Amongst all this I along with the rest of Nicks are so sorry reading of your losses Rude Boy and Magpies Nest. Jordy De Goey presenting his grandmother, suffering from terminal cancer apparently with not long to go, with his medal after the game must be very symbolic for you and hopefully helps to console you at this time.

But what a day of joy and relief for us amongst that sadness. The statistic quoted about it being the closest grand final win for 100 years is amazing. We could all feel it in our waters having experienced so many near misses. The feeling of dread after losing the lead after Cameron's final goal was all too familiar. De Goey's goal for the ages in response, made possible by the mastery of Pendlebury and sheer brilliance of Nick Daicos is seared into the memory for all time.

Whoever said Sidey couldn't kick straight mustn't have watched the same career as I have. He has always been a gifted goal kicker, often adjusting the kick to suit the precise requirement needed in the given situation. Just like he did on Saturday with more of a torp hold to alter the ball drop to compensate for his late movement to the right as he addressed the ball to generate the extra power needed. Drop punt. He would have practiced that and known what his absolute range was. He said he felt there was wind to help, thus again showing his footy IQ of the highest order but also such remarkable poise under immense pressure.

This typified the approach of the whole team. From the get go and all day they looked on. They were able to hold their nerve, counterpunch effectively through excellent skill execution. Sure some mistakes were made but this never seems to faze the group or make them go into their shells because they have had the license to take the game on without fear of failure from day 1 of McRae's tenure. This is within a well defined team system, which as we saw from the pf to the gf can and is tinkered with from one week to the next, but there is license to use flair and outside the square thinking when the player thinks this is the go. Adoption to the team rules is not too rigid. The brilliance of the coaching group including players like Pendlebury, Mitchell and Sidebottom on the ground during matches cannot be overstated. Ruthlessly effective tactically with an overarching atmosphere of care and honest concern for the welfare of each player. They feel valued and able to bring their strengths to the table while being given honest and sometimes brutal (John Noble says hello. We love you Johnny but at the end of the day are only 23 spots to fill) working to minimise their weaknesses. Well maybe not Pendles. Ok he doesn't kick right foot quite so well but hell when you have his feign and sidestep wizardry you don't have to worry about that.

And a big shout out from me as well to you Donny and also to JC Hartley. Lots of people post lots of things of value here but you guys take the cake for doing the consistent groundwork for week to week consistent presentation of statistical analysis and in your case JC positive but accurate and honest appraisals of each player's performance.

So we finally win a close one and the world is a much better place for it. I dossed on my daughter's lounge room floor at her house in Fitzroy on Grand final night and the frequent chants of Collllllllingwoood coming over the night time air were the sweetest lullaby I have heard since my mother would hum Brahm's to us Sharkey boys as little children.

Oh and I firmly believe that I started the chant when Darcy thanked the fans on the dais, definitely my biggest stat for the day.
woodsmen rule
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Pies2016 »

burnsy17 wrote:Whoever played on Coleman in the second half did a proper number on him.

22 touches to half time. 4 in the second half.

Anyone know who went to him after half time??
Supposedly they changed up his role after half time. He spent his second half around the ball but didn’t attend any centre square bounces. He would have started at half back and then handed over his opponent after the bounce ( possibly a swap with Berry ) Coleman obviously got lost in that role which isn’t a huge surprise but they needed a spark from somewhere. There are some players who are so much better when the game is in front of them rather than 360 degrees around them.
Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Red time scores in the GF - Pies 60 Lions 20.

Remember once upon a time when we would lament how many times we would concede goals late in quarters. This was what won us the cup our ability to score late in quarters and swing momentum.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

David King said today, we really should have won by around 4-6 goals, had we kicked straight, we had far more of the general play, he was at a loss as how the Lions stayed with us for so long. Yeh, costly shooting for goal, but, we got away with it, thankfully. You can win a GF by 50 points or just 4 points, but you still win the same Premiership.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
npalm
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

1eyedpie wrote:
Donny wrote:Loving On the Couch, tonight. So happy for Bucks.

Don’t know if you listened to him on sen this morning Donny here is a link

https://youtu.be/u2LYvsDpCgU?si=lIcMvQp41jk2wrJF
Thanks for the link 1eye. What a class act Bucks is. And a Collingwood man thru and thru.
Side by side.
Culprit
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Culprit »

Piesnchess wrote:David King said today, we really should have won by around 4-6 goals, had we kicked straight, we had far more of the general play, he was at a loss as how the Lions stayed with us for so long. Yeh, costly shooting for goal, but, we got away with it, thankfully. You can win a GF by 50 points or just 4 points, but you still win the same Premiership.
King's summary of the GF is pretty good.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

Having now watched the replay perhaps four times, it is finally dawning on me just how damn impressive this win was as a football achievement.

Frampton played a role, and he played the foundations of that role in negating Harris Andrews. But he totally blundered the value-adding bit. Given the same opportunities presented to Billy and completely slaughtered by him, McStay would have clunked and kicked 3 goals at least.

Losing Murphy so early should have been near terminal, as he had been excellent to that point. He is also a key player in that defence’s structure. His structural absence restricted Darcy’s ability to run, intercept and create, and on a bloody hot day, it meant that Brisbane had a much fresher sub to unleash.

Adams would have taken Ginnivan’s place and been way more effective.

Yes, they missed Ashcroft, but we effectively missed three important cogs in our best 22, kicked badly while they kicked well, and yet we still won by dominating the bulk of the game.

I suspect that GWS were a tougher opponent and will always believe the greatest risk to our winning the ‘23 premiership was actually overcome the week before.

Given the above, how bloody good is this Collingwood side ! I hope that we can sustain it through at least next year given our age profile.
Deja Vu

Post by Deja Vu »

BBHS
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by BBHS »

This video is the best 5 minute summary I've seen so far, got the tears flowing.

https://fb.watch/nr41KSnVQV/
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 131 times

Nice guys do come first

Post by Mr Miyagi »

This is the first time in a long time I’ve seen a team win the GF by playing fair footy, nothing dirty or unsociable, just eyes for the ball. It’s fantastic.
maurs64
Been liked: 1 time

Post by maurs64 »

^This exactly. Obviously a tactic to get Collingwood's focus away from the football. Shame it didn't work for them & just made them look unsportsmanlike really. Should have been far more 50s & frees going Collingwood's way really. Also shows how committed the team was to the game that they were never sucked in to any brawls, and never lost focus on the game. Another wonderful change in the Collingwood culture.
Thoroughly deserved the premiership over the spiteful Lions!
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

What did we think of the game of the likes of Jamie Elliott, Darcy cameron and hoskin elliott.

Thought Billy was not his usual self in the GF.

Cameron only broke even with the O at the lions.

Hoskin was here and there.
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by doriswilgus »

Meredith1965 wrote:Having now watched the replay perhaps four times, it is finally dawning on me just how damn impressive this win was as a football achievement.

Frampton played a role, and he played the foundations of that role in negating Harris Andrews. But he totally blundered the value-adding bit. Given the same opportunities presented to Billy and completely slaughtered by him, McStay would have clunked and kicked 3 goals at least.

Losing Murphy so early should have been near terminal, as he had been excellent to that point. He is also a key player in that defence’s structure. His structural absence restricted Darcy’s ability to run, intercept and create, and on a bloody hot day, it meant that Brisbane had a much fresher sub to unleash.

Adams would have taken Ginnivan’s place and been way more effective.

Yes, they missed Ashcroft, but we effectively missed three important cogs in our best 22, kicked badly while they kicked well, and yet we still won by dominating the bulk of the game.

I suspect that GWS were a tougher opponent and will always believe the greatest risk to our winning the ‘23 premiership was actually overcome the week before.

Given the above, how bloody good is this Collingwood side ! I hope that we can sustain it through at least next year given our age profile.
That is such a great post,I’ve hardly heard anyone in the media mention the outs we had that day,but they were significant.Our best key forward,Mcstay,one of our key defenders,Murphy,and a heart and soul midfielder/forward,Adams.Those three would have made a huge difference on the day,and I think the result wouldn’t even have been close if they had played,

Then you throw in our inaccuracy,which kept the Lions in the game all day.It would have been an absolute travesty if we had lost that game,but thank God we didn’t. :)
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR

Post by uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR »

BBHS wrote:This video is the best 5 minute summary I've seen so far, got the tears flowing.

https://fb.watch/nr41KSnVQV/
Thanks for posting!
At the 4:13ish mark Fly shushes Bobby and then points to something; Perhaps a live microphone belonging to the broadcaster? Love to know what Bobby was saying :)