Post Grand Final. Sweet 16. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by stoliboy »

blackandwhite4life wrote:Wondering if anyone has any footage from Saturday night back at the Olympic Park sight when the players were presented.

I have looked on Youtube but unable to find anything, including the Darryl Braithwaite songs with Darcy Cameron.
If you join the "Side By Side" facebook group there are two videos which has the presentations at Olympic Park on the Saturday night.

Video #1: Interview with the players by Brian Taylor

Video #2: More interviews + the bit where the players change the sign to "MADE it Legendary"
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Jezza »

Obviously very happy for every single player who played on Saturday, but does anyone else feel an extra sense of satisfication for the nine players below who had to endure the heartbreak of the 2018 Grand Final and came back 5 years later to win it in the tightest of margins?

[*] Scott Pendlebury
[*] Steele Sidebottom
[*] Jack Crisp
[*] Brayden Maynard
[*] Jordan De Goey
[*] Jeremy Howe
[*] Mason Cox
[*] Will Hoskin-Elliott
[*] Brody Mihocek

That's why I've felt sad for Adams who starred in 2018, but missed out this year.

I know Elliott, Moore, J Daicos and Murphy were also on the list in 2018, but obviously didn't play on the day for various reasons.
Last edited by Jezza on Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Johnno75
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Johnno75 »

5 defining moments for me

1. The JDG goal to put us back in front. After 19 goalless minutes and hanging on to a slender lead Cameron kicks a goal to put the Lions in front. A lot of supporters hearts would have sunk given our GF history. What a way to respond from the next centre clearance.

2. That Naicos kick. 0.25 left in the half, scores level and trapped in a phone box under pressure on the wing…..the composure to kick the ball 45m into the middle to open up the play for the go ahead goal after the half time siren. I would challenge anybody else in the comp to do that given the situation.

3. Bobby’s mark. The whole lead up with the audacity of the kick into the middle then to see Bobby climb all over Starcevich while he was shielding the sun from his eyes.

4. Sideys goal. I gave him no chance to make the distance and when it left the boot you could see it was heading straight through. From that point I knew we would win it.

5. Experienced heads. Qtr 4 with the margin under a goal and a few players under the pump (looking at you Mr Berry), it was our 5 time GF experienced players in Pendles and Steele who took control, they knew exactly what to do.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

Yep, absolutely, Jezza. Particularly for older players like Howe, Mihocek and Cox, who I thought might never get another chance.

Also thinking of the players from that era who played in the 2018 Grand Final but never got to experience a premiership. Goldsack and Varcoe got to experience premiership victories previously, of course, and Grundy, Treloar, Aish and Stephenson may yet be successful at other clubs, so it's the six others I really feel for: Tom Phillips, Levi Greenwood, Brayden Sier, Josh Thomas, Tom Langdon and particularly, for some reason, Chris Mayne.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Jezza »

David wrote:Yep, absolutely, Jezza. Particularly for older players like Howe, Mihocek and Cox, who I thought might never get another chance.

Also thinking of the players from that era who played in the 2018 Grand Final but never got to experience a premiership. Goldsack and Varcoe got to experience premiership victories previously, of course, and Grundy, Treloar, Aish and Stephenson may yet be successful at other clubs, so it's the six others I really feel for: Tom Phillips, Levi Greenwood, Brayden Sier, Josh Thomas, Tom Langdon and particularly, for some reason, Chris Mayne.
Good point on the players who have subsequently moved on, particularly the retirees.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

I updated my username love it
90 nice to 23 YIPPEE!!!
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Probably start to sink in when things like new years eve comes around and like the channels mdeia and alike do like a lets reflect on 2023 thing kind of a sum up of the year.

Still a bit raw for mine.

Pinching myself.

Also when im at the MCG for the first cricket fixture as well and of a kind of now its cricket season and like a reflect on what type of footy season we just had.
MagpieWhisperer35
Been liked: 3 times

Post by MagpieWhisperer35 »

think positive wrote:
MagpieWhisperer35 wrote:The whole sequence from centre bounce after cameron put Lions in front.
Pendles asking daics why he doesn't want to be part of it, daics to pendles who kicks and by time ball arrives at CHF daics ready fir crumb hears degoey call to your right elects to reflex handball when he was going to thump ball, the finish by our super star degoey, the ecstasy and roar as it sailed through, the realisation the pies are not letting this slip.
What does that mean please?
It means according to Gerard Whately on SEN at the centre bounce before the Degoey goal daics was heading out of middle and pendles called him and asked dont you want to part if this centre bounce, or something to that affect and they planned the strategy and then off they went
Go Pies
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Jezza wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:The final siren.
That goes without saying :D

It was tears of joy at that moment. All the previous pain had been evaporated.
I'm further reflection, Maynard to Howe to Hill - goal.
Maynard didn't have that kick in him 50-75 games back.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

K wrote:
robevpau1 wrote:I was surprised there wasn't more made about the '6-6-6' warning against Collingwood and Brisbane that meant the centre bounce was changed to a ball up before Jordan de Goey’s fourth quarter goal. Seems a little bit odd to me that the team 'penalised' immediately profits from their own infringement. Crazy rule.
I'd like to see what the infringements were for (who the players that stuffed up were). Surely there's an overhead camera view that shows.
1eyedpie wrote:On the couch showed vision of Lipinski running into the fwd 50 late ( could’ve been coming from the bench)

Some are saying we did it on purpose so the umpire throws the ball up as opposed to bouncing it which favours us.
Thanks for the info.

If this was on purpose, it was prolly being way too cute. Gotta say, dunno why they throw it up after a warning... Another strange part of the rule.
blackandwhite4life

Post by blackandwhite4life »

stoliboy wrote:
blackandwhite4life wrote:Wondering if anyone has any footage from Saturday night back at the Olympic Park sight when the players were presented.

I have looked on Youtube but unable to find anything, including the Darryl Braithwaite songs with Darcy Cameron.
If you join the "Side By Side" facebook group there are two videos which has the presentations at Olympic Park on the Saturday night.

Video #1: Interview with the players by Brian Taylor

Video #2: More interviews + the bit where the players change the sign to "MADE it Legendary"
Thanks mate!
Hearing the 'Black & White Army' roar is the greatest sound in the world.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by Pies2016 »

K wrote:
K wrote:
robevpau1 wrote:I was surprised there wasn't more made about the '6-6-6' warning against Collingwood and Brisbane that meant the centre bounce was changed to a ball up before Jordan de Goey’s fourth quarter goal. Seems a little bit odd to me that the team 'penalised' immediately profits from their own infringement. Crazy rule.
I'd like to see what the infringements were for (who the players that stuffed up were). Surely there's an overhead camera view that shows.
1eyedpie wrote:On the couch showed vision of Lipinski running into the fwd 50 late ( could’ve been coming from the bench)

Some are saying we did it on purpose so the umpire throws the ball up as opposed to bouncing it which favours us.
Thanks for the info.

If this was on purpose, it was prolly being way too cute. Gotta say, dunno why they throw it up after a warning... Another strange part of the rule.
1eyedpie explanation is spot on. Generally a 6 6 6 breach occurs when there’s momentary confusion on the bench as to who is to come back on. If that decision takes a few more seconds than usual, then the player who eventually comes on has less time to make his way inside the arcs. Lipinski ( from the footage ) was working hard to get inside the forward 50 arc but he couldn’t get there before the umpire prepared to bounce the ball. Any conspiracy theory just doesn’t hold up in this case.
swooper
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by swooper »

Steelo's goal for mine clearly because I thought there was no way he would kick it. The roar of the crowd was also immense :-)

BTW 'don't you want to be part of this' definitely should be used as a membership promo for next year
MagpieWhisperer35
Been liked: 3 times

Post by MagpieWhisperer35 »

I just also watched SwoopLuke YouTube he has a short vid called “this is what it means” and has most of these moments mentioned and footage of different fans reactions at siren, and i cried a lot again, and remembered tje feeling at the siren is my favourite moment.
Go Pies
npalm
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by npalm »

I don't know if this has already been posted here. Jock & Journo episode with Pendles this week. Fantastic insights. Highly recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3jUTtlmZcE
Side by side.