#8 Lachie Schultz

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 88 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Pies4shaw wrote:^ this.
Well said P4S. His competitiveness and pressure at the contest is contributing to our team goals. He’s one I’d like to have on my side in a battle.
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

One week suspension.
Give Joe Richards a crack at small fwd role
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Probably hasn't settled in as well as he would've liked but he certainly adds something to our unique forward line. Does a lot of things unnoticed, it's not always about the goals. As Fly has constantly stated, we kick team ones, not individual.
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
Nearly

Post by Nearly »

The ball spent a lot of time in our forward half during 3rd and 4th quarters. Players like Schultz are majorly responsible for that.
1eyedpie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by 1eyedpie »

He had a couple of undisciplined moments on the back of a couple of high free kicks missed to him by the umps. Welcome to the non Collingwood frees paid Shooter.
He works hard for little personal results but we benefit positive team results from his efforts.
Never disperse your focus unless absolutely necessary. Face one adversary at a time!

BARRACK HARD!
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

^ aren’t we like 50:50 on the frees for against?

He obviously had the role to come up and nullify the contest around the ball given how good the bloos have been in that area. Did it well.

We’re not getting the player he was at Freo but we are getting a much better player than we lost.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

What'sinaname wrote:
Sadly, there is no discount for punching a Carlton player.

There should be, but there isn't.
I think a weeks credit off from your next offence would be fair and just? :P
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Schultz got a week for that?!
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

Silly and undisciplined from Schultz. And this when Mihocek, McStay, JdG, McCreery, ... are all missing injured.
aus50ford
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by aus50ford »

Haff wrote:^ We’re not getting the player he was at Freo but we are getting a much better player than we lost.
I'd second this ...
I don't have a snappy catch phrase
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

K wrote:Silly and undisciplined from Schultz. And this when Mihocek, McStay, JdG, McCreery, ... are all missing injured.
With each new injury withdrawal (now Jamie), Schultz's stupidity looks worse and worse. If we can't kick 8+ goals and lose, he'll really owe the club...
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

aus50ford wrote:
Haff wrote:^ We’re not getting the player he was at Freo but we are getting a much better player than we lost.
I'd second this ...
He’s got another 4.6 years to go with us minimum. I’ll reassess when we’re halfway through that.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Nice little article on Lachie coming up to his 100th game.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... cf8058a0f0

Yes it's paywalled, no I won't post the whole article.

Summary, he struggled with the external expectations in the first month.
He knew there would be expectation given Collingwood had handed Fremantle a first-round pick, but he found the dark side of fame when those meaningless multi-bets failed to hit.

“I think in the early days I struggled to comprehend it and I let it get to me a little bit more than I should have,” Schultz told this masthead of that month where he looked a little lost as the Pies’ new forward.

“People read so much into stats and don’t know enough about what certain roles are on the field so, yeah I had to turn off my messages to the public. As soon as I didn’t kick a goal my inbox would just light-up.”
Personally, idiots who message athletes on social media abusing them because they caused them to lose money on their bets would best serve humanity by diving headfirst into a woodchipper and becoming garden fertiliser.

Then we turn to the Blake Acres strike. Acres is one of his best mates, what was supposed to be a slap on the back turned into a punch to the neck, resulting in a sit down with Fly, as above.
“Fly (McRae) sat me down and we had a really good chat about it all,” Schultz said this week. “It was a good opportunity to really see where I was at and (to) release some of that frustration I probably had.”

The 26-year-year old remains mortified about the strike and yet it might end up as a turning point, releasing the pressure valve for the former Docker.
Interesting that while he was being applauded internally in the first few rounds for doing what the club wanted, he was being bagged online for not kicking goals. The rest of the article goes into how happy he is to get to 100 games after being drafted as a 20 yr old while working as a plumber, fixing a drain in a basement. He didn't know he'd been drafted until he came up, got phone reception and had a missed call and message from Ross Lyon, along with lots of others.

Good luck tomorrow Sarge.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

Nice article. I think Schultz will be fine in the long run. It's just a matter of patience and adapting to a new style and system.

He was brought in for his pressure game and being able to apply pressure in the front half of the ground. 10 goals in 9 games is a modest return but it is more or less his career average. If he's kicking 30+ goals by the end of the season, he's done his job in my opinion.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆