Welcome to Collingwood, Derek Hine

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Recruiting Sacking

Post by Dave The Man »

The recruitment guys need to get sack on the record and bring someone in who acctually know how to recruit for collingwood!
I am Da Man
Nath

Post by Nath »

Yeah, couldn't agree more, obviously Collingwood has no idea about recruitment and are the only team throughout time to have made bad decisions.

Sydney are clearly doing well without a CHB and a ruckman
Essendon don't have a CHB
West Coast haven't replaced Jakovich
All our bad decisions, terrible aren't they. You know, pick 17 in the draft really should become a superstar and why would you invest in Clokes and Shaw's on the basis that they were all Vic Metro representatives and equitably third round draft picks in their own rights.

Can you detect my sarcasm Dave.....you are a twit!
TMan4

Post by TMan4 »

Recurting Sacking? What's recurting?
KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

Brisbane picked up Cupido with pick 7 and he played 10 games with them. Essendon gave away a premiership player for him and he has played 1 good game (against us), had an ok year in 2003 and disappeared.

St Kilda picked up Caydn Beetham at pick 9 in 1999..who the hell is he?

Name any club and you can find poor recruiting decisions. Some clubs have done pretty well, eg WCE springs to mind. But all in all the draft is a lottery.

Collingwood have made a few blunders which are well documented, but we have also picked up some real talent and some promising kids with very late picks (eg Rowe - pick 60, Tex - pick 72) and Iaccobuci was pick 55 last year and has already forced himself into selection through his endeavour and form at Williamstown.

Need to circumspect about recruitment.
Go Pies!!!
i_coulda_been_a_champ

recruiting

Post by i_coulda_been_a_champ »

maybe it shouldnt so much be who we picked up and so obviously failed but more the question as to where our real champions are coming from .
who in the 21-24 age bracket is already an established STAR ? probably none . some would say fraser . others rabbit on about didak . cole has soooooo much potential others say . but meanwhile st kilda for example have dal santo , hayes , ball who FAIR JUDGES would say are stars already .
everyone has their shackletons , mcgoughs , roaches , ... but the good teams have players who progress to stardom wheras i believe we at collingwood overrate our players. who are our stars who have come thru in the last 2-4 years . i say none yet !!
Clokey

Post by Clokey »

And therein lies the lottery likeness.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

We have just got a new band of recruiters, mate. Give 'em time.
Presti_is_god

Post by Presti_is_god »

Judkins has been at the club for a while.
Pa Marmo

Post by Pa Marmo »

Dave you still have not told us what recuritment is.
Genesis 1:1
Pieyed

Post by Pieyed »

Presti_is_god wrote:Judkins has been at the club for a while.
he's only head spotter now after illness, Hine is in charge and picked the Egan's Rusling's and Yakka's, promising start
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Welcome to Collingwood, Derek Hine

Post by doriswilgus »

I read in today's Hobart Mercury that Collingwood recruiting chief Derek Hine was recently in Hobart to look at a young player by the name of Sam Iles and apparently liked what he saw.It made me wonder about Derek Hine himself.Does anyone know anything about this man?What about his background?What are his credentials?Is he any good at his job?It's important to know these sort of things because he is probably the most important person at the club right now.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Another Billy Morrison coming our way
tdesmaele

Post by tdesmaele »

Can't answer your Derek question but for what it's worth Sam IIes is ranked in the 40's at FootyDraft:
http://www.footydraft.com/
Miz

Post by Miz »

Hine has done a terrific job so far.
PenshurstPie

Post by PenshurstPie »

I wouldn't read too much into it. I would hope he would be looking at ALL the top 50 players in the draft - as would all the other draft managers.

I was at the Gabba for our recent match and Greg Miller was sitting in front of me watching the early game that happened to feature a couple of the Queensland Under 18 players in a senior match. Some were with and some were against the Lions reserves playing as Sunshine Coast.