Welcome to Collingwood, Derek Hine

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

perthmagpie

Post by perthmagpie »

And yeah, we have a couple million in the bank, why not have Hine and Beveridge or Clayton. Why do we have to have only one 'recruiting genius'.
Magpies love pies(Lol)
sq3

Post by sq3 »

Hine did well in his first draft last year.

This year he will have better pciks so we should be pretty well set for 2006.

3 players already told they are going to clear space for the draftees and promoted rookies.

But we MUST get some better and appropriate off field coaches.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

perthmagpie wrote:And yeah, we have a couple million in the bank, why not have Hine and Beveridge or Clayton. Why do we have to have only one 'recruiting genius'.
Beveridge is over-rated I reckon - if you got as many early picks over several years as the saints did you couldnt go wrong. Got Reiwoldt and Kozi in one year - freaky!
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Beveridge has a handy history. Got Peckett late (I think), Thompson at 62 in 1996 (awesome for a B&F winner), Montagna (Dave will be happy), Ackland mid-draft etc...

He has enjoyed some easy picks, but his record is handy.
The General
Has liked: 3 times

Recruiting manager?

Post by The General »

Who is our recruiting manager this year? And what is his back ground?

I know it was Noel Judkins for a number years (who honestly, should not be proud of his work). Last year we recruited quite well, so am guessing it was not him.

I hope that who ever it is this time does the same good job that was done last year.
zoia

Post by zoia »

judkins was only there part time so i heard some new guy was appointed
Konformist

Post by Konformist »

Derek Hine. He oversaw the 2004 draft aswell.
Ritche Benaud

Post by Ritche Benaud »

The recruiting manager is the most important position on a football team.

More important than the coach or the president.

In the age of drafts and equalisation, typically the old adage is more correct, if you don't have socks, you can't pull them up.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Hine knows is stuff. Judkins has been demoted to a differnet role, while John Hook (former Hawk) is doing VFL work as well as helping during trade week.
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Well done Derek Hine!

Post by dalyc »

Some terrific talent spotted by Derek and his team some of them picked up with low draft picks.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
sq3

Post by sq3 »

Pies recruiting for the last 3 years has been outstanding and they have the kids to build a great goal to goal line.

This year it will be midfielders to add to the youngsters of Dick, Thomas and Pendles.

One young ruckman and the list will be great for the years to come.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

He's done a top job todate. Of his three drafts only Iacobucci has left the club.
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Take a bow, Derek Hine

Post by dalyc »

When the 2005 draft happened Derek Hine said they got the players they wanted with our first two picks ie Thomas and Pendlebury. At the time, I remember thinking Scott Who? And plenty of others thought we'd pulled the wrong rein - how wrong they were.

Based on form (to date) Thomas and Pendlebury are top class, A+++ grade prospects. In my (biased) view better than Murphy, and Pearce and the jury is out on Ellis.

I hope that Reid and Brown fulfill the same sort of promise as first round picks, and Toovey, Cox and Dick keep stepping up. And if Joffa's reports are anything to go by, I can't wait to see Wellingham and Macaffer.

Hats off to Derek!
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Heater_39

Post by Heater_39 »

I was absolutely devastated when we didn't get Xavier Ellis and then when I heard we picked up a 'Scott Pendlebury' I was megga pissed off because I wanted Shannon Hurn.

Full credit to Derek Hine and the recruiting team on Dale and Scott fantastic, if only our decision making was better a few years earlier!
jeff corfe

Re: Take a bow, Derek Hine

Post by jeff corfe »

dalyc wrote:When the 2005 draft happened Derek Hine said they got the players they wanted with our first two picks ie Thomas and Pendlebury. At the time, I remember thinking Scott Who? And plenty of others thought we'd pulled the wrong rein - how wrong they were.

Based on form (to date) Thomas and Pendlebury are top class, A+++ grade prospects. In my (biased) view better than Murphy, and Pearce and the jury is out on Ellis.

I hope that Reid and Brown fulfill the same sort of promise as first round picks, and Toovey, Cox and Dick keep stepping up. And if Joffa's reports are anything to go by, I can't wait to see Wellingham and Macaffer.

Hats off to Derek!
I was talking to Brad Dicks mum the other night and told her in all my time following the pies i have never ever seen such a large collection of kids who will go on for many many years to become good to great players for the collingwood footy club.

Wellingham is one out of the box and this kid could turn out to be anything, i cant fault Wellinghams game thats how good he is...young Brent macaffer could be the suprise package, good build fast pace and his juniour football suggests he can kick goals and kick lots of them, our list of young kids is our future and on all indications so far the future of our club is in very good hands!!
Well done MM and Derek and all the guys in reruiting dept