The Big Savalloy

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Digs

The Big Savalloy

Post by Digs »

I could write a freakin' book on the Big Sav because I have been his biggest fan since he started with Collingwood.

Now, I wasn't at the Adelaide game but I watched it all on tv. Sure, Sav doesn't have the surest hands at the moment but THAT is a confidence factor and I know from being a full-foward myself. Bassett played well and made sure that he was always near Sav to spoil. As for the guy who commented about Bassett outbodying Sav, please get a clue and point out the time where Sav was given a ONE on ONE, BODY on BODY contest with him? Huh? He wasn't.

And if you can't see that the forward line function better with Sav there, then you're blind and don't know anything about the game. Whether or not he takes a mark, he makes a contest and brings the ball and opposition players to ground which gives our crumbers a chance.

Also to the guy who said his groundwork is pathetic. No, he's not the fastest guy in the world at 100 kgs but Sav tries his heart out and chases out of defence even when he knows like everyone else that he's not going to catch the guy, its just for pressure.

And you must be missing half the game if you can't see how Sav attacks the ball in the forward line to dish off to players running toward goal, eg, Williams, Buckley.

As for the Hawthorn game, that was the most PATHETIC delivery to a full-forward I have seen IN MY LIFE. And then to make matters worse, Malthouse dragged him. For what???? Because the midfielders made SH*T DECISIONS and CANT PASS?!?!?!?

I could go on forever but I just want to say to all the people who bag Sav and want him traded ...... if he does go, I hope he shoves it up all y'all. All he needs is better service and he can easily be the best full-forward in the game.
peps_12

Post by peps_12 »

Sorry, Digs, going to join everyone else OFF the Sav bandwagon. He is terribly out of form, and I would suggest he isn't getting back in to form anytime soon - or ever. Someone commented that he was leading so early he could have tackled the player with the ball - I agree. Noticed it myself, in fact, probably said it to myself at the same time whoever mentioned it noticed. He doesn't take marks. he can't get away from the defender. it s only a matter of time b4 teams start playing the third and fourth best backman on him, if they aren't already. Who the hell is Basset?

Sav's got to go - lets look towards developing someone like Tuckey. And going all out to recruit a forward marking option. delist Sav, we wont get anything for him anyway.
rash

Post by rash »

Digs

It was I who made the comment about Sav being beaten body on body. One particular moment stands out. Last quarter the ball was kicked into the right forward pocket to one Sav Rocca and Fred Bassett. Bassett easily pushed Sav under the ball (with his body) and punched the ball over the boundry line. That good enough for you? I do wear glasses but I am not blind but you obviously wear rose tinted glasses. Pull your head in
Digs

Post by Digs »

Well done Rash, glad you could find one instance for me. Pity I can name about a million times where the ball has been delivered into the forwardline 20 metres over his head or in front of him.

Have you ever played full-forward?
Do you know how difficult it is to judge the flight of the ball, hold out your opponent legally and then take a mark?
No matter how good you are, it is f*cken hard to do that everytime and since you only picked out one instance, then maybe you should pull YOUR head in and realise that it takes much more than one contest to rate a player.

I know he is in a form slump but the mid-fielders delivering the ball to him are partly to blame also.
*miss_magpie*
Been liked: 1 time

Post by *miss_magpie* »

dead right
we can't just go and blame one guy on our bad performance in the forward line, how can it function properly if the kicking from the midfielders isn't straight, one guy can't do everything, everyone just about knows how i feel about sav and him being a part of collingwood so i'm not even gonna start on that.. just thought i'd write to say i agree with digs and emma
rash

Post by rash »

Digs

I never even suggested that full forward wasn't a hard possition to play. MY opinion is that Sav has had his fair share of chances and I think that we should try and trade him while he is still 'tradable'. It is just my opinion. You don't need to get so aggressive and attack me personaly by saying that I don't have a clue and that I am blind. I have also stated in other posts that I would love Sav to prove me wrong. I would love him to turn around his form and start nailing a few goals consistently. I am also trying to get off this topic. By the way I am not rating Sav and one game. I agree that the Hawthorn game was not his fault. I am rating him by his inconsistency over the past 3 or 4 years.

Later