give the game back to the fans !!!!!

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

eMmA

Post by eMmA »

dad (joffa) and doug u r both very true in what u r saying!!!!!
what the afl dont realise is that

*without us supporters there would be memberships
*without memberships there would be no money
*without money there would be no players cause how would they pay em
*without players there would be no club
and
*without any clubs there wouldnt be AFL football at all!!!!!
SO THE AFL NEED TO WAKE UP TO THEMSELVES AND REALISE THAT FOOTY IS A PEOPLES GAME AND NOT A BLOODY CORPORATE GAME!!!!!!

LATERZ

SAV IS SEXY-->36 UNTIL FOREVER-->ROCCA BROS ROCK MY WORLD!!!
London Dave

Post by London Dave »

You guys are in cloud cuckoo land if you think football has been a peoples game for the last twenty years. I'm sure I've mentioned this point in a previous post...Once the money paid to watch games by the fans doesn't pay the players wages, the public loses control of the sport.
You can bitch and moan about Colonial,how rooted the AFL (mis)administration is, the 'pies in Sydney or whatever. VFL/AFL passed this point 20 or more years ago. The topic is given lip service every couple of years or so those in power, but they know the score and so should you. The wankers (or their company) who quaff unoaked chardonnay whilst gobbling dainty little finger food actually pay a lot of cash for the privilege. So does Ch 7 to bore us to death with 167.5 hours of football shows a week. Accept this fact, and you shall move a little further along the road of enlightenment. Also, don't knock the corporate boxes till you try em. It sure beats getting frozen to death in the outer!!!
AlfAndrews

Post by AlfAndrews »

London Dave,

I'll agree with you on one point. The People's Game was lost to the People a long time ago. The rot actually set in somewhere in the mid-1970s and it's just got worse ever since. As you said, it's because the money that people pay at the gate doesn't cover the costs associated with running the Game.

I would tend to blame the players. It's been their insatiable greed for more and more money that has made it impossible for clubs to survive on gate money and memberships. At Collingwood it was all started by Thompson and Tuddenham. I'm sure every other other club has had its own culprits.

I think it's fair enough that players should be able to make a good living from the Game, but elite modern players are paid ridiculous salaries. Why should any footballer get half a million bucks a year when there are people in normal jobs slaving their guts out for $20,000 or even less.

As for corporate boxes, well that's another matter entirely. How anybody could watch a game from a corporate box just staggers me. Sipping chardonnay and nibbling on hors d'oeuvres might be OK at the theatre, dahling, but it's not my idea of a day at the footy.

As for freezing in the Outer. I find, generally, that a warm jacket, a couple of scarves, and some loud 'n' nasty barracking provides a lot more warmth than the cold company of the corporazzi.

I suppose I'd have to say I've given up on the idea that the Game can ever be given back to the fans. I have reached the point where I admit that football belongs to the A.F.L. and the corporate sector.

I, personally, would be more inclined to tell the A.F.L. to stick the Game up its arse.

------------------
**floreat pica**
London Dave

Post by London Dave »

Joffa, directions to airport not required. Am presently ensconsed in London, enjoying the lovely English summer, sucking on Pimms and lemonade, nibbling on cucumber sandwiches whilst discussing with the hoi polloi how the varsity match will go this year! Thanks for biting at the corporate box line too!

Alf, how can you be knocking players for the cash they are getting. They actually do the work to produce all the dough, so why shouldn't they get the lions share of the cash? If not them, it would be blokes like John Elliott taking the cash. Pay for sports people is one domain in which I am a marxist. They should screw em for all they can get!
This may be hard on the mythical bloke slaving his guts out for $20,000 a year, but thats the way the world works at the moment.

Enjoy the remains of the season. Hope your protest goes well!
nikki

Post by nikki »

Hey Alf,

I agree with ya.. How anybody can sit in a corporate box and watch footy is beyond me... NO atmosphere, no real supporters nothing... I'm the average footy fan and i prefer to stay that way......
Fortis in Procella

Post by Fortis in Procella »

Joffa, you speak with your heart, something I understand too well, and make some very valid points. The AFL IS too sanatised now adays, and it's all to do with the almighty dollar. The VFL is where the real grass roots football is. You get a backhander there just for looking like a threat and the umpires couldn't give a rats....."part of the game". London Dave is right...The times are changing and where just the little blokes, they couldn't give two hoots about us. But keep the voice going.....It shits them off!!!
AlfAndrews

Post by AlfAndrews »

Stick to the Pimms and lemonade, Dave. You make a lousy Marxist.

So the players do all the work, do they? Hahaha. Obviously you haven't seen Collingwood lately.

------------------
**floreat pica**