R.I. P 'GABBO'

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Mike
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Mike »

<B>A great moment in Collingwood history

19th September 1964 - Grand Final

21 minutes, last quarter

Melbourne 7.15 - 57
Collingwood 7.12 - 54</B>

Then came the supreme moment of the match. Tuddenham saw open space on the members' side and sent the ball out there, to be collected by Gabelich who, in the heat of the battle, had been left unattended.

Gabelich, 17 stone and not equipped with either great pace or ball skills, set off for the goal square from the half-forward flank. With Demon defenders streaking from every where to cut him off, he bounced the ball three times as he lumbered on and each time nearly lost it.

But the Demons could not get to him and he slammed it through from 5 yards."

The same moment from a Demon viewpoint

"Gabelich again got the ball on his own and there was not a Melbourne defender between the goals and the half-back line. As Roet closed in, Gabbo bounced. It was awkward and I prayed the ball would run away. He recovered it and bounced again, again awkward, but again he gathered. I was praying he would have a shot, but he closed the gap between the goals with another bounce, which he again almost lost.

"I could see Roet would not make the grade and I was hoping Gabbo's final bounce would run away and through for a point. Another bounce and it flew out at a tangent, but his long arms scooped it back and from the goal square he slammed it through. That must have been the most stirring and thrilling individual effort in all football history. It was a great captain's goal, but I was in no mood for praise.

"Collingwood was in front and our premiership was gone - or so I thought."

Norm Smith

<B>Vale Ray Gabelich
161 games
1955-60, 62-66
Captain 1964, 65
Copeland Trophy 1960
Honorary Life Member 1966
Legend</B>
London Dave

Post by London Dave »

Sad news. I remember seeing him quite a bit driving his truck around Melbourne.

Vale
eMmA

Post by eMmA »

I NEVER SAW HIMPLAY BUT MY DAD TOLD ME HE WAS A FANTASTIC PLAYER AND HE DID PLAY FOR THE MIGHTY PIES!!!

GABBO,REST IN PEACE!!!your legend lives on FOREVER!!!!!!

LATERZ

SAV IS SEXY-->36 UNTIL FOREVER-->ROCCA BROS ROCK MY WORLD!!!!!!!!