$88 for an adult seat @ the 2000 AFL Grand Final

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

AlfAndrews

Post by AlfAndrews »

When Jackson announced the prices for this year's Grand Final he was carrying on as if we should all feel grateful that the price was only going up by the amount of the GST. It's the first time since somewhere in the 1960s that they haven't increased the price. He said, "This is a big win for the fans".

Can you believe this guy?

What he's saying, in effect, is: "Hey, everybody. We're only going to exploit you the same amount as we exploited you last year. Be bloody thankful, you plebs, that we're not going to hit you for another price increase like we've done every year for the last 30-odd years."

Of course the price is going up, as usual, but this year we can blame John Howard, Peter Costello and Meg Lees.

Don't worry. I'm sure next year the A.F.L. will increase the price again. They'll probably make it an even $100, just to make it easy for everyone.

At least us Collingwood supporters won't have to worry about it. They can charge $1,000 for all I care.

An AFL Grand Final without Collingwood is the most over-rated event on the Australian sporting calendar. Honestly, I'd rather watch a game of marbles.

------------------
**floreat pica**
Greg J

Post by Greg J »

I was disgusted with the way Jackson presented a $88 ticket as a plus, simply because the AFL did not increase its component of the ticket price.

I can understand the GST rise, even the GST rise on the booking fee, but when did the AFL give up the right to tell the ticket company not to increase its booking fee! And who has an interest in this ticket company which dictates prices to the AFL. This means the ticket company has the same level of influence over the AFL as the federal government. And this does not seem right to me. But Jackson presented this fact to the football world as a plus.

This reeks of marketing a minus as a plus.

Oh, by the way, the plus thing for the AFL to do would have been to aborb the GST itself. The bulk of the ticket is a superprofit to the AFL itself. Oh, but they need the cash to pay for the breaking of the sweatheart deals involved in setting up the Docklands.