Welcome to Collingwood, Derek Hine

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

sq3

Post by sq3 »

We are on the same page Joffa - Dawes will be the best and the comparisons to JBrown are very accurate - except Dawes is bigger than JB at this age.

In this years draft we will recruit ruckmen and midfielders to go along with what we have now.

Pies will be a force in 2008 and beyond - this year will get the youngsters more games (Cox, Toovey, Daisy, Scott, Brown, Reid, Dick etc.,) and then throw in Dawes in about the last 4 games and you will see a real CHF in the making.

Bryan will be a good ruckman as well - we just need to get a couple of young rucks to come through - as I think Stretch may be gone at the end of the year.

Very bright times ahead for the Black & White.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

All kids again played their part today. We're on the right track, and there is a bright light in the not too distant future!
xtcc

Post by xtcc »

thank the kids again . Turn it over 3 times as a player in our top 22 & go back to willie 2nds. no more turnovers
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

After this great win against Sydney, we can add Martin Clarke, Tyson Goldsack, and Danny Stanley to the list of great finds by our recruiters.

With Derek in charge of recruiting, our future is NEON!

And we still have Dawes, Reid, Brown and Wellingham to come through!
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Zakal

Post by Zakal »

dalyc wrote:After this great win against Sydney, we can add Martin Clarke, Tyson Goldsack, and Danny Stanley to the list of great finds by our recruiters.

With Derek in charge of recruiting, our future is NEON!

And we still have Dawes, Reid, Brown and Wellingham to come through!

Hard to believe that the AFL world rated Goldsack behind 67 other draftees last year...most of whom will probably never even play a game.

In fact, so unknown was moneybags at Draft time, they didnt even have a Draftee Profile up for him come draft day, and noone could tell us anything about him until some bright spark found his myspace page. Took a few days for them to gather the info on him and put it up on AFL.com.au.

Obviously wasnt even expected to be drafted....thats what we pay Hine for...picking guys like Murphy, Deledio and Cooney at #1 is simple...finding a potential 150 gamer late in the draft is pure brilliance.
innocent_criminal

Post by innocent_criminal »

The other clubs are pissed off about our spending in the football & recruiting depts, like the of Sydney, West coast & Hawthorn to a lesser extent.. but I have no doubt that by us investing part of that $1.85 million last year alone in recruiting.. we have shown that the way to 'play' the draft game is to identify quality at every pick right up to 67 if thats possible. Scouts, scouts and more scouts, and good ones in every state and at different leves.. its no accident.. and the other clubs know it. Roll on 2009.
Assistant Coach # 23,738
fraser25

Post by fraser25 »

I was just thinking don't ya have to take 4/5 new players in the draft each year, how we gonna find four to ditch.
innocent_criminal

Post by innocent_criminal »

yes i think 3 per year... but what a situation to be in... I cant remember having to decide who to de-list... too early to think of that as this stage though..
Assistant Coach # 23,738
Colin G Wood

Who to de-list?

Post by Colin G Wood »

One experienced player is a standout

And I ain't suggesting Bucks
Last edited by Colin G Wood on Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xtcc

Post by xtcc »

Easy. Drop players that turn over the ball.
Seth

Post by Seth »

I actually work with one of our recruiters, won't name him. Must admit for the last 2 years when I pestered him about who we were after he never let on at all. He has said though that all our recruits were players they truly had in their sights for various reasons. they didn't go for the obvious ones that other experts thought we would take, they went for players with abilities and potential to be long term Collingwood players. My mate had strong influence with Reid, Brown and Dawes and they rate these three extremely high and we haven't even seen them yet at AFL level. Yes the future is bright.
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

Building the best collingwood team in history doesnt happen over night, it happens and starts this year right into the next decade.
The General
Has liked: 3 times

Post by The General »

It raises the question as to what Derek Hine is worth dollar wise to the club.

It is rumoured that Malthouse is on about $800k p/a. Bucks about $500k p/a. (although these could be well off).

With the future of the club in Derek's hands, surely he must be right up there. Look at the difference the kids he has drafted, have made to the team this year. Let alone for the coming years.

Personaly, I would have him as one of the highest paid staff at the club. Now that we have all seen how important drafting is to the team and how much improvement we have had in the last couple of years.

So Eddie, make sure he is getting his $500k+ p/a, he is worth it.
spoljar

Post by spoljar »

The best thing we did was remove Dudkins from the head of recruiting and install Hine in his place.

What I am noticing is that Hines recruiting has given us an enormous amount to work with and there is a lot of upside in the players he is recruiting. While we know that not all are going to work out, there are a number of them that are showing an enourmous amount of promise and more importantly, some results.

Think about the Dudkins era of recruiting such fantantic players such as Morrison, Shackleton, Nixon and Hall and you can see he would have destroyed our list to Richmond type proportions if he continued on his merry way. At the end of the day, only one player from the 2001-2003 draft remains being Shaw and that was not necessarily from his doing.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

RudeBoy wrote:With such a great crop of young talent I hope the club trades some early draft picks this year in exchange for a big strong established ruckman. I don't want to draft a 17 yr old potential ruckman. Our need for strength in this department is growing more urgent week by week.
How obvious! Given that's worked so well in the past with Stunning Steve let's do it again.... NOT!!!!

I personally don't think we need to miss out on another Pavlich. Once is enough.