Welcome to Collingwood, Derek Hine

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Time to lobby the Afl on two fronts Ed.

1. An increase on the salary cap real soon and a loosening of err.. under the table payment investigations. 8)

2. An assurance that expenditure on footballing depts. will never be capped!
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:With such a great crop of young talent I hope the club trades some early draft picks this year in exchange for a big strong established ruckman. I don't want to draft a 17 yr old potential ruckman. Our need for strength in this department is growing more urgent week by week.
How obvious! Given that's worked so well in the past with Stunning Steve let's do it again.... NOT!!!!

I personally don't think we need to miss out on another Pavlich. Once is enough.
I guess the difference is, if we keep on playing well this season we're not going to be in the running for any Pavliches... picks 10 - 16 will probably be more in our range.

I think the ruck is a clear weakness in the side... sure Fraser is a gun and Richards is coming good, but most of the top sides seem to have at least two big ruckmen with substitutes to come in if they get injured. We've got, basically, Fraser, Richards and Bryan. If one of those goes down to injury our choices are badly limited. Anyway a ruckman would allow Fraser to play around the ground, and one of Richards or Bryan could be 2nd ruckman coming off the bench.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
dillo_09

An open letter to Eddie McGuire RE: Derek Hine

Post by dillo_09 »

Dear Mr. McGuire,

Along with the many list of acheivements of yours at the helm of the Collingwood Football Club, I personally rate the appointment of Derek Hine to Recruiting Manager as one of the best decisions made at this club. Derek and his team are responsible for putting together one of, if not THE best group of young up and coming players in the league.

Therefore, as a long time supporter and member of this mighty football club, I ask, nay BEG, you to personally deliver this man a blank cheque and offer him whatever its takes to ensure that he doesnt end up doing what our most recent CEO has done. I think you need to ensure that Derek and his family are looked after exteremly well in exchange for a long term commitment to our fotball club.

I also ask that the club continues to financially support, and continually beef up the resources of, the recruiting department. Along with recovery facilities and coaching, these areas are not controlled by the salary cap. Therefore with our resources at hand we should be able to put a gap on most of the competition for many years to come.

I look forward to seeing Derek in a Collingwood FC polo shirt for many, many more years to come.

Regards

Mark Dillon
Member # 01738
bwphantom

Post by bwphantom »

He should receive an award for picking up goldy @ 63...what a steal!!!
All this may be summed up in one word - CHARACTER - and if that is not worth developing, nothing is.

Jock McHale
Brown26
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Brown26 »

here here - give him a nice Holiday at the end of the year, preferable to wherever Chris Judd is going! :D

I love seeing our young kids play and develop - it's one of the best parts of the game that we haven't had for a while :)

- Ben
fan4collingwood

Post by fan4collingwood »

Totally agree Dillo, it warms my heart with pride to see how our youngsters are performing in the big league, I feel like they are my kids!
die4pies

Post by die4pies »

There is a team that has delivered these exceptional youngster to our club. So while Derek is the public face of Collingwood recruitment and deserves huge praise for the massive turn around in our fortunes, he has plenty of help.

The key is the kids that have been recruited love this club and can't imagine playing anywhere else. It also helps that they are getting a decent shot at holding down a senior place and hence why they play with such enthusiams and courage. Bare in mind they have the likes of Clement, Prestigiacomo, R Shaw and Buckley breathing down their necks to get their spots back. The kids have no choice, play out of your skins and play in front of 50k+ every week or play for Williamstown in front 3k.

Nevertheless, the empire that is Collingwood Football Club, The Club, is rising again and slowly but surely we are seeing the results of having quality Collingwood people doing the job right.

Floreat Pica!
"MAKE COLLINGWOOD GRATE AGAIN"
bucksisgod

Post by bucksisgod »

Its one thing to recruit well ( which Derek Hine has done ) but the players also need to develop once drafted. Lots of talented youngsters get recruited but not all rapidly flourish once introduced to the AFL system. Our quality youngsters are the result of good talent spotting AND development. Hats off to the coaching and support staff at Collingwood and Williamstown for the astute preparation, development and footballing education of our young blokes thus far. Well done.
Need a pen? try Pen Island. www. penisland. net
~Madness~

Post by ~Madness~ »

Him and Peter O'Sullivan from the storm need to be given medals.
"whaaa whaaaaaa!
GO RUPERT 10

Post by GO RUPERT 10 »

what worries me is that richard pratt has deep pockets and as we have seen will use them to pinch staff from other clubs like he has with greg swann
ad4eva

Post by ad4eva »

GO RUPERT 10 wrote:what worries me is that richard pratt has deep pockets and as we have seen will use them to pinch staff from other clubs like he has with greg swann
Pratt may have deep pockets but thats a man v a football club.
Collingwood has pockets as deep as the Grand Canyon and if Salary Cap did not exist, we would be fielding one of the best sides in the history of the AFL.
GO RUPERT 10

Post by GO RUPERT 10 »

well why did swann go if we are so loaded

dont forget pratt is a billionare and rumour has it that he offered paul roos $1 million a year to get him down here
Zakal

Post by Zakal »

GO RUPERT 10 wrote:well why did swann go if we are so loaded

dont forget pratt is a billionare and rumour has it that he offered paul roos $1 million a year to get him down here

Being able to afford to pay someones price is one thing.....deciding whether or not they are worth it is entirely another.
magpiesgirl

Post by magpiesgirl »

Zakal wrote:
GO RUPERT 10 wrote:well why did swann go if we are so loaded

Being able to afford to pay someones price is one thing.....deciding whether or not they are worth it is entirely another.
Well said.

Carlton only wanted Swann because they saw what he did at Collingwood.But Eddie has had alot to do with it as well.It's just another sad attempt by Carlton to be like Collingwood.And it will fail :D
GO RUPERT 10

Post by GO RUPERT 10 »

yeah well derek hines price tag would go up a few notches after this years draft and if pratt doubled his salary i wonder if he would stay