Welcome to Collingwood, Derek Hine

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

magpiesgirl

Post by magpiesgirl »

That's all hyperthedical.But if he did go to Carlton,atleast he has left us with a team who are going to be capable of winning several premierships. That is something Carlton are never going to be able to take from us!
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

GO RUPERT 10 wrote:yeah well derek hines price tag would go up a few notches after this years draft and if pratt doubled his salary i wonder if he would stay
Well if he doesn't I'll personally take him for a drive up to the Blue Mountains . . . in the boot of my car :twisted:
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
xtcc

Post by xtcc »

Back on track guys.
I have stated in many post on Nicks how pleased I am with Derek Hine.
Not only can he find Football players, He can also find quality people.
Goldie at 63 & we haven't seen Dawes yet.
A big thumbs up for the man & the whole football department.
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Harrysz »

Good post Dillo. I agree fully.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Go Rupe - loyalty plays a role. Hine's still got a job to finish, overseeing a flag. :wink:

Yes, Dillo, our recruitment has been first class since 2005, and even '04 has been handy (T.Cloke/O'Brien, while the jury's still out on Egan, Rusling and Davies, not forgetting we bought 35 goals out of Blake Caracella).
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

20/20 Hine-Sight From Royal Sampler on BF

Post by Dave The Man »

Just having a look at our picks in the Hine years (2004-6) and noticing a few trends.

National Draft

Ben Reid (Bushrangers)
Nathan Brown (Rebels)
Chris Dawes (Dragons)
Brad Dick (East Fremantle)
Tyson Goldsack (Power)

Rookie Draft

Sharrod Wellingham (Perth)
Brent MacAffer (Power)
Martin Clarke

National Draft

Dale Thomas (Power)
Scott Pendlebury (Power)
Danny Stanley (Falcons)
Ryan Cook (Stingrays)
Anthony (Knights)

Pre-Season Draft

Sam Iles (Tassie Mariners)

Rookie Draft

Alan Toovey (Claremont)
Daniel Nicholls (Stingrays)
Shannon Cox (South Adelaide)

National Draft

Chris Egan (Bushrangers)
Sean Rusling (West Adelaide)
Travis Cloke (Eastern)
Adam Iacobucci (Cannons)

Rookie Draft

Ben Davies (Jets)
Harry O'Brien (... WA)

So here are the trends I'm noticing...

a) Hine doesn't like drafting outside of Victoria. Rusling, Iles and Dick are the only three non-Victorian players given a senior list spot in three years.
b) When Hine does go for a non-Victorian, they get picked up in the Rookie draft. O'Brien, Toovey, Cox, Wellingham and Clarke (obviously) were added to the rookie list.
c) As a general rule, Hine is huge on having upside in his draftees. Reid was the youngest kid in the 2006 draft, Dawes was coming back from an ACL, Brad Dick is a toothpick, and Goldsack was a first-year for the Power as an overage player. We all know the X-factor that Dale Thomas possesses, but Pendlebury had played for a year after crossing from AIS basketball, and Danny Stanley and Ryan Cook were very bottom aged.

I'm beginning to wonder if Hine fears the go-home factor, or whether it's due to the fact that until now, we haven't had a full-time recruiter in WA. Of our three non-Vic players given a senior spot at draft time, I know for instance that Brad Dick is a mad Collingwood supporter, which might alleviate the go-home factor in Hine's mind.

At draft time, if you wanted to second-guess Derek Hine, you'd have to be looking for mostly players who are bottom-aged, Victorian, who are thought to have upside and X-factor, and possibly even recent converts from another code. Then expect him to gamble with rookie selections on kids from WA.

Thoughts.
Very Good Read

Code: Select all

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367118
I am Da Man
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

i thought the theme was about 'coachability'. agreed the players would have greater support playing in their native state. i like the principles if they are true.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
qldpie02

Post by qldpie02 »

maybe theres a lot of great/better young footy players in VIC, which is why theres a lot drafted....
Maybe Hine only drafts what he/his staff sees themselves, not from other peoples opinions.

and agree Jock, coachability is a major thing.
Collingwood forever and ever...amen
Dale61

Post by Dale61 »

Maybe we are getting away from the 'athletes who can play football' mentality, and going the opposite - footballers who are athletes.
Whale
Oil
Beef
Hooked
mikeys81

Post by mikeys81 »

whatever Hines secret code for player selection is, i just hope it doesnt get cracked and remains a big secret and we continue with the current trend of impressive young players
Alec. J. Hidell

Post by Alec. J. Hidell »

I thought you got banned from there Dave?
The one man in the world, who never believes he is mad, is the madman.
thebaldfacts

Post by thebaldfacts »

My thoughts are that whilst Hine has done well with the picks, it is the development coaches that are fast tracking the kids.

TBF
Northern Pie

Post by Northern Pie »

I think we tend to underestimate the Quality of an Awesome Collingwood legend in Richo as well as the whole coaching support staff that have been put in place who has the responsibility to look after,guide these kids and prepare them mentally for the rigors of senior AFL footy.

I think we have proven that the "future" of coaching football that board and the football department has been looking to develop is starting to work and seeing as though the forward thinking has been trying to see 5 Years into the future of coaching an AFL team, there will be alot of teams in the AFL that will have a lot of work to do to try and catch up!

Cheers
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

And I thought that Big Footy was 100% pure bull. Just goes to show, there is intelligent life on Mars.

(Mars? Hey, if intelligent life can survive on Big Footy, it's bound to be thriving out there in a comparitively benign environment like Mars.)
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

I've posted on BigFooty

*puts head back in sand*
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.