Amateur Photographer Thread

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

MagpieMad

Post by MagpieMad »

excellent pics guys. keep em coming.

EBB do you take your camera to the footy?
Pain heals, Chicks dig scars, Glory..... lasts forever!
leelee

Post by leelee »

EBB how on earth did you do that last one? Thats just amazing.

I need to get out and get some more photos. Also need to upload some more onto photobucket so i can put some more on here for you guys

If any of you have myspace, i have alot of photos on my myspace... its www.myspace.com/leeleesworld (its not set to private at the moment so go have a geez before i put it back on private)
SuCK IT uP PRINCESS
EBB

Post by EBB »

MagpieMad wrote:excellent pics guys. keep em coming.

EBB do you take your camera to the footy?
No Steve, not yet. I'm contemplating taking the camera to a local or VFL game to see how it preforms.

leelee, read some of your blog, you got some nasty allergies but your not alone. As for the previous pic and how I did it. Below is the original and I added the sky from a previous pic. The location is in Mentone and just the other day they removed the truck, it had been there for so long.

understanding stuff, with endeavour to overstand..
leelee

Post by leelee »

ahhhh very nice... see me n the computer programs that you do things like that have issues... we just can't work together! haha

i've got some beautiful photos i took in walhalla when i was down there last, they're absoultely gorgeous! must get my backside into gear and get them up!
SuCK IT uP PRINCESS
BBHS
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by BBHS »

EBB well done I'm highly impressed. More so now that it's only a hobby for you. Great Pics
EBB

Post by EBB »

Cheers BBHS.

leelee wrote: i've got some beautiful photos i took in walhalla when i was down there last, they're absoultely gorgeous! must get my backside into gear and get them up!
You got those walhalla pics?

..meanwhile here are some from me. These were taken with the old point and shoot. 3-4 yrs ago.

1Image

2Image

3Image

4Image

5Image
leelee

Post by leelee »

ahhh i have some quite different ones to you!

glad to know someone who knows where walhalla is! sorry i'm being lazy again! really need to get on the PC and upload the pics!
SuCK IT uP PRINCESS
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

Some of those photographs are pretty amazing EBB :)

I would certainly consider looking for a professional job in some capacity.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
EBB

Post by EBB »

Thanks David, but let me burst my own bubble. Pro photography is a cut throat industry, my friends and family also like my work, they say it's professional standard, but they, like many, who just like to browse cannot see the difference in image quality in relation to the quality of lenses.

I'm using a standard (kit) lense with my digital (SLR). If you visit photography forums/sites and do alittle read up on lense and compare picture quality, then you will see the difference in image quality.

Also, I would love to have top 'high grade' lense but it's sooo damn expensive. In the meantime I'll just go one above my current lense. I am particular to quality, improves performance as far as I'm concerned.

Now we have you the consumer. You don't "care" about which lense is used, it's you at the end of the day who chooses to buy what you're attracked too. So, having said that; Pro photography is cut-throat and yet, unique. (hooray)

My future employment is to drive coach charter buses (I'm 1 step closer) and combine that with location and photography. I would like then, to have the majority of my work printed/framed and selling "somewhere".

I have sold other photography work via 'art & craft' markets and also on the internet. But the internet hosts take too much in %. Once again, thanks for the compliment. :)
Geek

Post by Geek »

Got a question....

I used to like taking night shots. Had a dinky little IXY500 compact that could do some nifty stuff once I learned how to drive it. Then some Frankston cretin stole my back back... Grrr...

Problem was that when the contrast between light and dark got anywhere, you would lose all definition on th elight source. It'd blur out and bleed and you'd often get that dazzled effect, with the circles of ligh coming towars the centre of shot. Noce effect, but not on all of them :)

I've seen so many shots though where the light source doesn't burn out or overexpose or whatever it's doing, so I know it can be done. I'd like to be able to keep the definition on things like neon signs for instance. How is that achieved?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EBB

Post by EBB »

Oh, a technical question (DOH)!

I'm not really sure if I completely understand, but is diffraction the term you're looking for?

Diffraction: "The scattering of light as it passes close to an opaque surface such as a lens diaphragm. At very small apertures, loss of image quality can occur".

So get yourself a digital SLR and increase the aperture (smaller number) when shooting close to the subject.

Hope that helps....

Your camera takes nice shots with you driving it.
Geek

Post by Geek »

Thanks EBB. Yeah they were a lot of fun to take. It wasn't til I got out and started playing around that I discovered what all the photographers were banging on about with the enjoyment of it all.

Ok, so the dazzle effect would probably be difrection, yes. You ofte get little circles, the size of which could be related to the curvature of the lens. I'm wondering if they could have been a result of of a dirty lens. Those litlte compacts were a nightmare to keep clean once you touched them. With a proper SLR and lens, at least I'd be able to get decent cleaning gear onto them as required. Can't wait, but must pay for semester 2 at uni first.

The bleeding that I refer to is something I couldn't get around. It looks like I'm overexposing the shot. Check out the lights in that b&w southbank photo. See how there's no definition to them and the shape of the lamp isn't visible because you have a big circular blob covering the entire lamp?

I know I could turn down the ISO settings, but this results in the rest of the photo underexposing and coming out darker than I'd like. Is there some kind of filter in photography that I can apply that would take in information up to a certain point, then block everything that was overexposing? There was a histogram feature on that unit, but I don't know if it just reported levels or allowed to to preset upward limits on things like luminescence or heat or whatever. Yes I realise that such a thing would take out almost the last remaining vestige of skill in taking a shot. But it would be handy for while I'm a n00b :)

Great little camera though. Fit in your pocket and all. I can recommend them to anyone that wants something slightly more than a happy snapper.

Cheers.
Northern Pie

Post by Northern Pie »

Just a few pics....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EBB

Post by EBB »

Geek wrote:
The bleeding that I refer to is something I couldn't get around. It looks like I'm overexposing the shot. Check out the lights in that b&w southbank photo. See how there's no definition to them and the shape of the lamp isn't visible because you have a big circular blob covering the entire lamp?

I know I could turn down the ISO settings, but this results in the rest of the photo underexposing and coming out darker than I'd like. Is there some kind of filter in photography that I can apply that would take in information up to a certain point, then block everything that was overexposing? There was a histogram feature on that unit, but I don't know if it just reported levels or allowed to to preset upward limits on things like luminescence or heat or whatever. Yes I realise that such a thing would take out almost the last remaining vestige of skill in taking a shot. But it would be handy for while I'm a n00b :)

Great little camera though. Fit in your pocket and all. I can recommend them to anyone that wants something slightly more than a happy snapper.

Cheers.
If you're able to adjust ISO to 100, great, can you also adjust aperture? And shutter speed? That would help you alot.

If not, then under-expose slightly and use digital software with levels adjustment. 'Ponit and shoot' camera's give good results but are limited.

I'm also a noob. :)
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

How old are you? Checking. . . stand by. Are you still located in it? What do you have that is it? Do you like talking to me? What do you have that is it?