Amateur Photographer Thread

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Geek

Post by Geek »

EBB wrote: If you're able to adjust ISO to 100, great, can you also adjust aperture? And shutter speed? That would help you alot.

If not, then under-expose slightly and use digital software with levels adjustment. 'Ponit and shoot' camera's give good results but are limited.

I'm also a noob. :)
Yah, not anymore unfortunately. Like I said, some Frankston puke probably sold it to cash converters the monday after last years FA Cup final. The good thing was that I had it set to manual for some sunset shots out of Eureka Tower that evening, so hopefully they weren't smart enough to reset it to manual and thought it was a piece of crap. Small mercies :)

Yeah on top of a pretty decent auto system, it had 4 manual ISO settings, 50, 100, 200 and 400. You had about 7 or 8 different shutter speeds as well so I played a bit with combinations of them. Could AWB for things like tungsten and you could also manually set it using coloured paper. Did sepia, b&w as well as video. $550 it cost with pouch and cards. It was a great piece of tech and I miss it a bunch. Not sure about aperture sizes though.

So yeah, looking for something next time with a few less features for the social snaps, but definitely getting an SLR for playing around with too. LIke you said, there's only so much a point and shoot can do. Landscapes tend to be a bit of a waste, and I'm not a fan of digital zoom. A few different styles of lenses would be ace to play with. Roll on tax return time though as she's a bit of an initial outlay as far as hobbies go!

Thanks also for the tip on diffraction. Googled it up and picked up some good info for when I approach that level. Cheers! :)
sherrife

Post by sherrife »

Amazing stuff. Check out the rest at: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/654642
I would be ashamed to admit that I had risen from the ranks. When I rise it will be with the ranks... - Eugene Debs
EBB

Post by EBB »

[align=center]Image
foggy morning

more fog

sherbrook forest

mushrooms in sherbrook forest

puff'n'billy emrald lake

wattle park manipulated[/align]
understanding stuff, with endeavour to overstand..
EBB

Post by EBB »

Got a new lense...

fan4collingwood

Post by fan4collingwood »

Great Photos EBB, you have inspired me to carry my camera where ever I go now, I missed out on such wonderful Rainbows during the week by not having it in my bag!
EBB

Post by EBB »

Thanks Ash and F4C, glad I can inspire, now only if my camera was compact..I too would take it everywhere.

P.S I haven't seen a rainbow in donkey yr's.
EBB

Post by EBB »

A few more from me..

manipulated using software

so close, if only the camera focused on the bee

5 second shutter
Miss_Lisey_Molloy

Post by Miss_Lisey_Molloy »

Wow.. Well done everybody.. These photos are awesome!!

Here's a few I've taken.. Sorry they are so small.. Everytime I upload one, it says it's too big.. Annoying! By the way, I am a shocking photographer lol!!

Love always, Alyssa xoxo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*~Alyssa's Song Of The Moment~*
I See You - Luke Bryan

Jarrod Molloy's #1 Fan! Pies are Premiers in 2010!!
fan4collingwood

This photo was taken on Sydney Road Fawkner, when there was a lot of burning off happening I think. Made for a red red Sun at 4.30 in hte afternoon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Magpie Girl

Post by Magpie Girl »

Well, I took these aaaaggggggeeeeeessssss ago while on Gr 7 school camp..... back in 2004 :oops: :D lol We were staying up in the mountains in Laminton National Park near the Gold Coast.
Was just going through some old pics from then & found these.....

A really tall waterfall...

In the rainforest...

Some of the scenery...

and some more of the mountains....

This was a shark at Sea World....
"Everyone has their story and mine is unique, but I'm definitely trying to use that to help as many people as I can." - Heritier O'Brien ( 7/7/08 )
Harry, you're a champ!
EBB

Post by EBB »

F4C, they are really nice pics of the moon.

Alyssa, love ya pic on TV, that must have been a moment. Oh and a crap photographer is someone who cuts the head of people when attemping to take their pic.

Hey Magpie Girl, wish I went on camps to nice locations.
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

Hey Magpies Girl, I went up there to the mountains in '94-5 I think on a work love in. Did abseiling down a cliff for the first and only time and thought it was great, except I didn't know it got that cold in QLD.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Magpie Girl

Post by Magpie Girl »

stui magpie wrote:Hey Magpies Girl, I went up there to the mountains in '94-5 I think on a work love in. Did abseiling down a cliff for the first and only time and thought it was great, except I didn't know it got that cold in QLD.
When we went we were told that it does get cold at night so pack some warmer clothes. It hadn't been that cold in Brisbane so I though "nah, it wont be that cold up there, I'll be right...."
First 2 nights weren't too bad, which was good because those 2 nights we were in tents. Then the next 2 nights when it was absolutely FREEZING I was in a cabin..... Only brought summer PJs so slept in all my warm clothes, practically lived in them lol.

But deadset, one of the best camps I've been on. :D
"Everyone has their story and mine is unique, but I'm definitely trying to use that to help as many people as I can." - Heritier O'Brien ( 7/7/08 )
Harry, you're a champ!
Miss_Lisey_Molloy

Post by Miss_Lisey_Molloy »

EBB wrote:Alyssa, love ya pic on TV, that must have been a moment. Oh and a crap photographer is someone who cuts the head of people when attemping to take their pic.
Haha, thanks :)

I would of taped the repeat of the show, but I was in a hotel in Arizona when it was aired.. That's why I took the photo.. But, I did get in contact with the tv station, and because I was an Aussie, they agreed to mail me the concert on DVD for free :D It was such a lovely gesture :)

Love always, Alyssa xoxo
*~Alyssa's Song Of The Moment~*
I See You - Luke Bryan

Jarrod Molloy's #1 Fan! Pies are Premiers in 2010!!
fan4collingwood

EBB wrote:F4C, they are really nice pics of the moon.

Alyssa, love ya pic on TV, that must have been a moment. Oh and a crap photographer is someone who cuts the head of people when attemping to take their pic.

Hey Magpie Girl, wish I went on camps to nice locations.
It's actually the sun EBB, taken in April, when country Vic were burning off in a lot of areas, and it was a calm day.