Welcome to Collingwood, Derek Hine

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

I think it's simplistic to say that MM stuffed up the list then Hine saved it.

If Hine gets all the credit for the kids he's picked while MM has been giving directions on the kind of player we want, then surely the brickbats have to go to Judkins who was the recruiter before Hine rather than blaming MM.

Assumng MM's role in all that hasn't changed, he still outlines what he wants and it's the recruiters job to find them.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
punkologist

Post by punkologist »

I was critical of MM at various stages over the last few years. However now that we actually have some good cattle out there, courtesy of Hine and himself, I can realy see his value in working with the kids motivating them and building a game plan that suits them.

I think we also need to recognise the development coaches we have, they have been tremendous!
Joel

Post by Joel »

We need to sign up Hine on a long-term deal. His work of the last few years has been sensational.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

^ his position is secure.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
collingwoodjoe

Post by collingwoodjoe »

Seems to me that MM came on board in 2000 and decided to have a crack at a flag with essentially the list we had. in 99 we finished 16th, MM came on board and in 2000 we finished 15th, 2001 9th, 2002 missed a flag by a couplke of goals, 2003 made the grand final again. That is a pretty good effort. I think we tried to 'top up' in those years as we where trying to snatch a flag, we ran up against the greatest side of the modern era and we had to go back to the drawing board, 2004, 2005 we rebuilt the list, and now we have one of the most exciting groups of youngsters in the comp, Judkins, Hine, MM and Eddie, as well as Richo and Co should all be proud that instead of wallowing at the bottem of the ladder for a half a decade or ten years we have bounced back from 2003/04 so quickly.

in 2000 we picked up Wakes, JCloke, Lonie, Didak and Richards, Dids and Wakes and Lonie are all still there, all have played 100 games plus for the Pies.

in 2001 we finished 9th, we had an awful draft but still picked up Dane Swan.

in 2002 we made the grand final, so our picks weren't great, but we rookied Maxwell, and Cam Cloke and Jason Roe are both still on AFL Lists.

in 2003 we made the big one again, but managed to snare Heath Shaw.

in 2004 we where back down the wrong end of the ladder again (13th) and picked up Egan, Rusling, Cloke and O'Brien.

in 2005 we bottemed at 15th and grabbed Thomas and Pendles.

and in 2006 we got Ried, Goldsack and Bryan.

So we do tend to pick up better players when on the bottem of the ladder suprise suprise, the above list of pickups dosen't include anyone who is yeat to make an impact at AFL level, I mean Ried and Stanners etc look promising, but they havn't done anything much, so counting them as Hine sucess stories is a bit premature.

2004 still looks the best pound for pound draft for me, but I am an Egan fan and rate both O'Brien and Rusling very highly.

So as far as I can see, we have nabbed a good player in every draft since MM took over, That is better than some clubs manage most years.
go pies!
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Thanks. Next question?
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

I think we tried to 'top up' in those years as we where trying to snatch a flag
Disagree - the cards fell our way IMO. We picked up Molloy, Steinfort, Rintoul, Clement, Holland and Wakelin in order to add some size, experience and toughness to our list. IMO as it turned out not even we could have predicted the improvement these players made - all were, at the worst, very serviceable for us (Rintoul would have been in our top three of '01 before he broke his leg v Essendon on Anzac Day), and Molloy, Clement, Holland and Wakelin have all finished in the top three of the Copeland at least once, while Steinfort's contributions were signficantly underrated.
panga

The Derek Hine Appreciation Thread

Post by panga »

Seriously. This guy is pure gold. We don't need high draft picks, Hine knows where it's all at.
collingwood.. bowl them over
jeff corfe

Re: The Derek Hine Appreciation Thread

Post by jeff corfe »

panga wrote:Seriously. This guy is pure gold. We don't need high draft picks, Hine knows where it's all at.
We are at the dawn of an exciting era..This list will go on to win a flag.
tommo

Post by tommo »

He's so fine that Mr. Hine!
Black and White - Through and Through - Side by Side - Us against Them
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

I started a thread about Hines worth to our club last year.

I said it then and I'll say it again!

We must make sure Hine is signed up to a contract that is water tight and very financially rewarding, cause you can be sure if he's not other teams will come knocking on his door trying to poach him.

For me Hine is the most important individual at our club.

As the old saying goes, if you aint got the cattle.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Daicos Mullets

Post by Daicos Mullets »

He's done an outstanding job, yet again.
Swan is down, Swan kicks the goal! And everything here will be a Magpie celebration!

3RRR

The Pies are back at Vic Park!
Black_White

Post by Black_White »

Silverware is not in the cabinet yet.
swoop42

Post by swoop42 »

It's now up to the players and the coaching staff to get us the holy grail.

Hines job is to find and draft the best available talent to the club to make that task easier.

So far I would say he's doing a "FHINE" job.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
GO RUPERT 10

Post by GO RUPERT 10 »

how are we going to compete with pratts money if he gets an offer to join the scum