Welcome to Collingwood, Derek Hine

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpie_Dan

Post by Magpie_Dan »

Member is right. We havent won it yet but are somewhat of a chance! We dont want to get to far ahead of ourselves at the moment, lets see who we play then we will see wha go is with it all!

On the Derek Hine topic, he is a recuirtment GOD! I have met him down at training a couple times before and he is a really top bloke and as its shown, a grouse recruiter aswell! When I first met him I asked why he didnt grab Cousins and he replied, "is he worth the trouble"? Well as much as I wanted the Cuz, ill take Dereks word for it! Thanks for all the wonderful players we have, you are gold Hine!!! :D
PAUL MEDHURST'S #1 FAN
NATHAN BUCKLEY- 280 Games 284 Goals
Bucks You Are THE KING

AT COLLINGWOOD, YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
noddy,

Post by noddy, »

yes. love his work. last night was just a pre-season game and not the real thing and i know it's already been said but everybody could see that sidebottom has got the goods. that's what last night's game will be remembered for. when our best 22 gets settled during the year it'll have hines' stamp all over it.
i like beer.
perthmagpie

Depth

Post by perthmagpie »

Although our list at this stage has yet to show alot of out and out stars its the depth that we're creating that is impressive. For that I credit M.Hine. Seems like he has the ability to pick players who can at least play!
Magpies love pies(Lol)
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 29 times

Post by think better »

Dear Mr Hine

Thanks for the Steele Beams - this is surely a strong foundation for a good team

regards
Last edited by think better on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I think therefore I think - I think
jack_spain

Post by jack_spain »

GO RUPERT 10 wrote:how are we going to compete with pratts money if he gets an offer to join the scum
It would be so much easier if Pratt got locked away for his corporate crimes.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

GO RUPERT 10 wrote:how are we going to compete with pratts money if he gets an offer to join the scum
will leaving for more money be the motivation? sometimes it's about opportunities for development or gaining new experiences. throwing money at something is not always the solution.

as good as hine has been in identifying the talent let's not forget about the system collingwood has created to nurture and develop that talent. hine et al can draft a player with the confidence of knowing they have the right structures in place to deliver the desired outcomes.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Hine

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Next to Eddie and MM he's the next most important person we have at the club. Does anybody know where we got him from. Was he the recruitment manager at Hawthorn when they picked up Franklin and Roughead?
Zakal

Re: Hine

Post by Zakal »

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:Next to Eddie and MM he's the next most important person we have at the club. Does anybody know where we got him from. Was he the recruitment manager at Hawthorn when they picked up Franklin and Roughead?
Honestly, I think he rivals those two for importance.

Mick couldn't do jack shit to win us a flag if Hine didnt provide him with the building blocks to do so.

No disrespect to Mick, but this is a fact of modern footy, doesn't matter how good the coach is if the team isnt constantly injecting new talent like Pendles, Thomas, Cloke, Beams, Sidebottom, Anthony, Harry, Shaw, Marty etc etc etc.
jack_spain

Post by jack_spain »

jmcp wrote: as good as hine has been in identifying the talent let's not forget about the system collingwood has created to nurture and develop that talent. hine et al can draft a player with the confidence of knowing they have the right structures in place to deliver the desired outcomes.
Sounds like we have finally cottoned onto one of the keys to Manchester United's enduring success with their academy program. I know Alan Richardson was doing a lot of work in this regard. Building on Hine's recruiting will be the key to sustained success.
Zakal

Post by Zakal »

jack_spain wrote:
jmcp wrote: as good as hine has been in identifying the talent let's not forget about the system collingwood has created to nurture and develop that talent. hine et al can draft a player with the confidence of knowing they have the right structures in place to deliver the desired outcomes.
Sounds like we have finally cottoned onto one of the keys to Manchester United's enduring success with their academy program. I know Alan Richardson was doing a lot of work in this regard. Building on Hine's recruiting will be the key to sustained success.
True, its not enough to just recruit talent....see guys like Tarrant, N.Ablett and Beetham (sp?) from the Saints....you have to push on from there into player development with the programs Richardson started, and then Mick needs to take them from developing young players and mould them into vital cogs in the Collingwood Machine.

BUT....Hine is the tip of the sword so to speak...if his job isn't performed well, the rest is pointless. Talented players often make it on their own, in fact, its the only way any talented player made it pre 2000. So the development isnt quite as important, but its what takes you from a team of a few stars and the rest unpolished hacks (like Collingwood used to be with Buckley, Williams, Burns and Sav....with Kinnear and co for support) into a premiership winnable team that contributes across every line...where even the B-graders are walkup starts in other teams.

Development gives you that extra 10-15% imo.
Black_White

Post by Black_White »

Dear Mr Hine,
Please find us a ruckman.

Regards,
The faithful.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 88 times

Post by RudeBoy »

member34259 wrote:Dear Mr Hine,
Please find us a ruckman.

Regards,
The faithful.
I've heard whispers that the young rookie, O'Keefe, might end up fitting the bill.
innocent_criminal

Post by innocent_criminal »

I think I posted a long while back, that the one big area that isnt controlled as yet, is the spending on recruiting and development.

Whilst Eddie has copped a lot of flack inside and outside the club, the structures that he and the board have setup interstate and locally to spot talent like a Goldsack at pick 67 (or something), is paying off. Perhaps Caro should write a little about that. Pffft.
Assistant Coach # 23,738
Dragme
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Dragme »

That is right that there is no control on how much clubs spend on recruitment and development. I guess it won't be too long before the AFL puts a cap of some sort on this.

The good thing is that the 16 AFL clubs may put a stop on how much the AFL spends very soon.

We can only wish that the AFL's devide and conquer mentality, suffers from the financial tsunamy. :lol:
Born, Live and Die a Magpie
DaVe86

Post by DaVe86 »

It was interesting to see in the NAB Cup record a review of drafting since 03.

Carlton have had the most top 10 picks with 7 in the last 5 years. Out of that, Kennedy was traded to West Coast. They also should have had another pick but he was also included in the Judd trade. But you could consider Judd their 8th top 10 pick really

Hawthorn have had 6. Franklin, Roughead, Lewis all in the one year. Ellis, Dowler and Thorp are the others.

Then Collingwood is next with 5. Essendon and Richmond also have had 5.

Out of those 5....only Egan has been delisted and he was pick 10.

The other 4 are Thomas, Pendlebury, Reid and Brown. Out of those, only Reid is not cemented but he is showing positive signs as been a multi-dimensional player.

Then, this fails to take into account Sidebottom....who is clearly a top 10 worthy pick. Also Cam Wood at pick 14 will hopefully become a focal part of our team. So that's 6 picks in the last 5 years i reckon that are clearly fantastic.

It also doesn't highlight the Tarrant trade which got us pick 8 and scored us Medhurst. Medhurst is an AA player and kicked 50 last year.

What this shows...and my point is......that although we have been quite successful and made finals...we still have recruited very strongly. We have had as many top 10 picks as Richmond who have been at the bottom of the ladder at the same time.

Yes Richmond have had some number 1's...but they've also had Oakley Nicholls and Tambling.

Then compare us to other reasonably strong sides over the last few years. Kangaroos have only had 3 top 10's. Lachie Hansen has shown nothing and was a pick 3.

Sydney have had 0 top 10 picks in 5 years. They are gone. West Coast have had only 3....but they have had a stack of picks between 10-30. Saints also have had only 3 and nothing much has come from it. Raph Clarke and Armitage have not come on.

So the state of our youth is fantastic. Then we have also had very successful picks later on and our rookies have been fantastic.

McCarthy and Goldsack will cement themselves as top 22 players. Anthony is coming on....and Wellingham, Marty Clarke, O'Brien and Macaffer look revelations.

Add to that Didak and Fraser who were also top 10 picks and you can see we have a strong list coming through.

This has been a very successful 5 years of drafting....and the first 2 were right-offs without Hine.

Although many say we are on the decline....i argue we havent even hit full potential yet. We are are building team...not a declining team. Who would've said this would be the case post Buckley, Burns and CLement
There's more to life than footy.........just not much more.