Welcome to Collingwood, Derek Hine

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

understudy

Post by understudy »

Hines had misses already (blokes delisted) and question marks over quite a few he picked up on our list.

Quite a few of the blokes he's kicked up have shown promise, only time will tell how well they turn out long term.

Also only time will tell whether Hines recruiting has been good enough.
ThePieMind

Post by ThePieMind »

understudy wrote:Hines had misses already (blokes delisted) and question marks over quite a few he picked up on our list.

Quite a few of the blokes he's kicked up have shown promise, only time will tell how well they turn out long term.

Also only time will tell whether Hines recruiting has been good enough.
Virtually all posters on Nicks agree he has done an excellent job regardless of what happens in the future.

There's more chance of Hines succeeding -
than the chance of you developing a postive attitude towards anything at CFC.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 88 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Hines has had wins and losses in his time. Let's wait a year or two to judge. Remember, it's not just about who we've drafted, but also who we have overlooked.
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

Every Nick poster keeps telling me that he started recruiting for us in 2005, but going back 10 years on Nicks clearly states otherwise.
I have found 2 other sources including a country newspaper that said he was our recruiting manager in 2004.
I could still be wrong but could someone please find a definitive answer to this.
Otherwise I believe i am correct.
we don't eat our own at collingwood we just allow them to foul our nest.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

I think he took over During the 2004 Season when we He took Judkins spot as he was a Terrible at the Draft
Last edited by Dave The Man on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Da Man
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Derek Hine

Post by Dave The Man »

doriswilgus wrote:I read in today's Hobart Mercury that Collingwood recruiting chief Derek Hine was recently in Hobart to look at a young player by the name of Sam Iles and apparently liked what he saw.It made me wonder about Derek Hine himself.Does anyone know anything about this man?What about his background?What are his credentials?Is he any good at his job?It's important to know these sort of things because he is probably the most important person at the club right now.
He is a Genius in the Draft :wink:
I am Da Man
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

Thanks Dave
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

I keep hearing that Hine is a genius and Judkins was a dud.
This is typical of the sheep on Nicks that parrot the party line.
Both recruiters got us to 2 GF's each.
There was only a fingertip and a bad bounce between the results.
A list of players recruited by Judkins 1997 to 2003:
Tarrant
Lockyer
N Davis
Scotland
Fraser
R Shaw
L Davis
S O'Bree ( brisbane)
S Cummings
B Johnston
A Didak
Jason Cloke
C Cloke
R Lonie
Lovett Murray
D Swan ( pick 58!)
Podsiadly
N Maxwell
H Shaw
I won't include Trav Cloke as this was 2004
It could be argued that Judkins had a major influence on
the 2010 and 2011 Finals campaign.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

Uh, how long is this list?
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Let's see a return to the glory years of Judkins.

1997-10th
1998-14th
1999-Last
2000-15th
2001-9th
2002-2nd
2003-2nd
2004-13th

Some hits and memories there for thompsoc but it's a reminder for the rest of us that nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I M O , both Judkin and Hine have been pretty good for collingwood. I have been a little surprised by some negative comments on Judkins performance on this site. Judkins was poached from essendon and they were pretty good around that era too. What we need to remember in any comparison between both, is that Judkins did what he did at collingwood on his own. When Noel succumbed to ill health, Hine was brought in to take over the " face to face " role around the country while Noel was set up at home to look over the videos. Hine now has a significant network of spotters under him as do all good clubs.
Recruiting has changed dramatically in recent times but back in the day of one recruiter only per club ( if that ) Judkins was a pretty reasonable operator for mine.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
thompsoc

Post by thompsoc »

Flashman wrote:Let's see a return to the glory years of Judkins.

1997-10th
1998-14th
1999-Last
2000-15th
2001-9th
2002-2nd
2003-2nd
2004-13th

Some hits and memories there for thompsoc but it's a reminder for the rest of us that nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Wow Flashman - Judkins 2 GF's in 7 year - we won't include 2004 as he wasn't in charge.
Hine 2GF's in 11 years and a hope in hell for the next 2 years.
Yes, Hine is a genius and Judkin is a Dud.
Keep following the sheep!
It can also be argued that Judkin left Hine a better nucleus of good players than what was left for him at the start of 1997.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

thompsoc wrote:
Flashman wrote:Let's see a return to the glory years of Judkins.

1997-10th
1998-14th
1999-Last
2000-15th
2001-9th
2002-2nd
2003-2nd
2004-13th

Wow Flashman - Judkins 2 GF's in 7 year - we won't include 2004 as he wasn't in charge.
Hine 2GF's in 11 years and a hope in hell for the next 2 years.
Yes, Hine is a genius and Judkin is a Dud.
Keep following the sheep!
It can also be argued that Judkin left Hine a better nucleus of good players than what was left for him at the start of 1997.
It can be argued that you're complaining about Hine purely because we won on the weekend (on the back of some great games by some inspired pieces of Hine recruiting) and you have nothing else to moan about this week.

As for the results during Judknis tenure- 2 lost GF's one of them an embarrassing shellacking and all the other years we were cellar dwellers. Gee Hawthorn must be looking at that record with envy at the moment hey?
:lol:

Would you really swap our last decades performances for that? Really? Truly? Yeah sure you would.
John Wren

Post by John Wren »

hine was sitting near me at the footy today. could have asked him to clear things up. :lol:

2006 to 2013: finals appearance each year, two gf's and one flag.
1997 to 2005: two finals appearances, two gf's, no flags and one spoon.
Purveyor of sanctimonious twaddle.
Woods Of Ypres
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

Pies2016 wrote:I M O , both Judkin and Hine have been pretty good for collingwood. I have been a little surprised by some negative comments on Judkins performance on this site. Judkins was poached from essendon and they were pretty good around that era too. What we need to remember in any comparison between both, is that Judkins did what he did at collingwood on his own. When Noel succumbed to ill health, Hine was brought in to take over the " face to face " role around the country while Noel was set up at home to look over the videos. Hine now has a significant network of spotters under him as do all good clubs.
Recruiting has changed dramatically in recent times but back in the day of one recruiter only per club ( if that ) Judkins was a pretty reasonable operator for mine.
are you kidding Dudkins was the worst, so many poor selections at the draft table. with the exception of Tarrant, our only good players of that period came from other clubs