What pisses you off? Part II: Electric Boogaloo

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by stui magpie »

Or his ex can just be brave like Nadia bartel
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

I don't get the reference.

Too late in the day for me to go down this rabbithole now. I'll see how I go tomorrow.
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

Yeah, nah. I find his attempt to seem woke by grandstanding about women being oppressed by toxic beauty standards and then dumping his wife for a much younger conventionally attractive woman beyond the pale.

"But, in my view, his personal life has nothing to do with that."

I believe if you're going to take principled public stance on something then it's probably a good idea to be living up to it in your own life. Otherwise people are understandably going to have an issue with the messenger.

"I think we sometimes need to ask ourselves what purpose accusations of hypocrisy are actually serving, and whether it ends up more often than not being an exercise in shooting the messenger."

I don't know, I thought it was fair enough when Julia Gillard said she wasn't going to be lectured by Tony Abbott about misogyny.
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

What he did on TV was extremely well done and highlighted an issue that is unfair and dumb, however I don't think it was mentioned that it is almost solely women that will make disparaging comments about another woman's attire so not really a sexist or misogynist issue. The fact he wanted to sleep with a younger, more attractive woman does not alter his point at all, IMO.
kill for collingwood!
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

"But you still haven't explained exactly what it is that makes that so hypocritical. Is it always playing into oppressive beauty standards for men to leave their wives (no matter what personal reasons they may have or what state the former relationship may be in) for younger women, or only if the younger woman is a "10"?

Because he denounced oppressive beauty standards whilst appearing to apply them himself.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:Or his ex can just be brave like Nadia bartel
whats that supposed to mean?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Dopey Dan is creating a society where Victorians are turning on each other.

I read a story today that a mother and her six year old child were abused when out for a walk because the child wasn't wearing a face mask.

Clearly people need to get over themselves and stop trying to be judge, jury and executioner but more importantly, learn the damn rules you are trying to abuse people for not following!
David

Post by David »

How exactly is Andrews responsible for that? I think it's pretty clear that the mask policy was necessary, and it's not like he invented narcs. You're always going to get busybodies finding ways to lord it over others in any society.
stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by stui magpie »

To be fair, it seems there are more dickheads with delusions of intelligence in Victoria than previously anticipated.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
eddiesmith

Post by eddiesmith »

Its because he constantly comes out attacking Victorians at his press conferences, he is taking aim at people and it's washing off on society who get angry watching it and they take it out on innocent people.

Plus he pushes hard to dob in your neighbours.
Sicks Bux

Post by Sicks Bux »

Lock them up!
Lock them up!
Lock them up!

I hope you've been wearing your mask, Eddie.
eddiesmith

Post by eddiesmith »

Been wearing my balaclava out, yes!

Actually wore one of those cheap Chinese masks Dan is trying to get us all to buy tonight, didn’t even survive a trip to get dinner before the straps snapped.