Post Match. Suns sink Pies. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

^ Buckley's responsible for the way we play and the types of players we recruit.

When it comes to the salary cap debacle, we have to look at the list management personnel.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
joemamone@gmail.com

Post by joemamone@gmail.com »

Trade Grundy and DeGoey. Neither are worth the money or the trouble.
Believer
Piesnchess
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Piesnchess »

What'sinaname wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:Things can change pretty fast tho, look at the Deees last yr, and Goodwin, hopeless,now look at them. Putting Bucks aside, the Club needs a plan of action going forward, and it needs to start enacting it now, covering the entire Club, everyone must come under scrutiny. We need change, right thru the Club, coaches, trainers, fitness dept, recruting, it needs to be vast and comprehensive. Graham Wright is just the man for that job, we need a total rebuild and re fit of the Club. The future are our kids, keep playing them, get something out of the season. then hit the draft full on. The re build must start now.
The Dees rebuild started years ago. Don't be fooled that a rebuild can be quick. We are destined for years of wilderness before we come good again.

Even Clarkson credited Schwab in starting the rebuild before he took over. Stole a flag in 2008 but build to a successful team from 2012 onwards, which was 5 years after he took over.
Im not that pessimistic, it can change quickly, if its done the right way, id say two yrs tops, post Bucks. We do have very promising kids, thats one real positive, but we need to trade hard, do what Port did a couple of yrs ago, only Moore should be off the table, and Grundy. The more i see of Ross Lyon on Footy Classified the more he impresses me, he really has a very good football brain, id be looking at him, or Sam Mitchell, even Brad Scott, and new assistants too.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Peponi

Post by Peponi »

Our likely picks at the 2021 draft: 37, 39, 47, 50. Jesus...
Formerly LeighBrownBrigade
58pie

Post by 58pie »

Bucks post match DNA !!??? Bucks post match as boring as his game plan. If he had anything to do with the send off the now staring Bulldog Ads he should own up and leave with Ned Guy.
BEAMER09
Been liked: 12 times

Post by BEAMER09 »

watt price tully wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:Things can change pretty fast tho, look at the Deees last yr, and Goodwin, hopeless,now look at them. Putting Bucks aside, the Club needs a plan of action going forward, and it needs to start enacting it now, covering the entire Club, everyone must come under scrutiny. We need change, right thru the Club, coaches, trainers, fitness dept, recruting, it needs to be vast and comprehensive. Graham Wright is just the man for that job, we need a total rebuild and re fit of the Club. The future are our kids, keep playing them, get something out of the season. then hit the draft full on. The re build must start now.
The Dees rebuild started years ago. Don't be fooled that a rebuild can be quick. We are destined for years of wilderness before we come good again.

Even Clarkson credited Schwab in starting the rebuild before he took over. Stole a flag in 2008 but build to a successful team from 2012 onwards, which was 5 years after he took over.
Correct weight
COLLINGW09D
Peponi

Post by Peponi »

Formerly LeighBrownBrigade
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Jezza wrote:^ Buckley's responsible for the way we play and the types of players we recruit.

When it comes to the salary cap debacle, we have to look at the list management personnel.
With respect Jezza, Bucks didn’t back end Treloars contract, Bucks doesn’t do the recruiting. As I said earlier his time is up but he shouldn’t be blamed for things he is not responsible for. He is responsible for selection, style of play moves etc and where we currently stand.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

BEAMER09 wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
What'sinaname wrote: The Dees rebuild started years ago. Don't be fooled that a rebuild can be quick. We are destined for years of wilderness before we come good again.

Correct weight
Last edited by watt price tully on Sat May 01, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

I haven't seen the game (and never will now) but I take it Moore was ineffectual up forward and Thomas had what 2 possessions till 1/2 time was it?

Is anyone surprised?

Well the coach would be it would seem.

Honestly Moore is the reigning AA CHB. He spent the summer once again training as a defender. It's been reported it's his preferred position. Given our predicament it's fair to say the ball is going to be spending more time in our defensive 50 than forward half for the remainder of the season so doesn't it make more sense to place him in the position where he can influence far more contests than the 5 he did today.

Thomas kicked 38 goals from 26 games in 2018. He still managed 22 from 22 in 2019. He's kicked 6 in the last 21 games.

How he continues to be selected on the back of that diminishing output is a mystery to me. At 29 it's likely his best has now come and gone. Time for a kid to take his spot like a Rantall or Henry.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Jezza wrote:^ Buckley's responsible for the way we play and the types of players we recruit.

Malthouse on Friday night said he believes Buckley has played a role in the salary cap debacle by pressuring the club to keep certain players no matter what. And that Buckley is driven to be involved in all areas of player management. The implication is that his attempts to distance himself from the Grundy/Degoey debacle is disingenuous.
Last edited by Gerry Cooper on Sat May 01, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
thebaldfacts

Post by thebaldfacts »

swoop42 wrote:I haven't seen the game (and never will now) but I take it Moore was ineffectual up forward and Thomas had what 2 possessions till 1/2 time was it?

Is anyone surprised?

Honestly Moore is the reigning AA CHB. He spent the summer once again training as a defender. It's been reported it's his preferred position. Given our predicament it's fair to say the ball is going to be spending more time in our defensive 50 than forward half for the remainder of the season so doesn't it make more sense to place him in the position where he can influence far more contests than the 5 he did today.

Thomas kicked 38 goals from 26 games in 2018. He still managed 22 from 22 in 2019. He's kicked 6 in the last 21 games.

How he continues to be selected on the back of that diminishing output is a mystery to me. At 29 it's likely his best has now come and gone. Time for a kid to take his spot like a Rantall or Henry.
Moore clearly should play back. He looks like his confidence is being destroyed up forward.

However, if you were going to experiment with Moore forward, wouldn't you wait for Howe to come back first? Taking the 2 generals out of the back line is a recipe for disaster.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

swoop42 wrote:I haven't seen the game (and never will now) but I take it Moore was ineffectual up forward and Thomas had what 2 possessions till 1/2 time was it?

Is anyone surprised?

It was a classic case of same shit, different day.

What we did learn though, was that the problems are now at a cellular level, and more than that, at a nucleus level with our DNA now compromised.

So maybe we need to recruit some biochemists as our next KPF.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

I watched the last quarter live, and was utterly stunned by what I saw. GC players were allowed to run free through the centre, and frequently had hectares of space without a Collingwood player in sight. It was almost a pressure free contest, and the body language of the GC players was that they did not feel any challenge whatseover coming from their opponents. When they kicked goals in that final quarter, they barely bothered to celebrate very much, as their victory was a foregone conclusion. I just watched the second quarter on replay, and was shocked by the abundance of our elementary skill errors, which can only be described as sub AFL standard.
what was even more ominous however was the minimal pressure we were applying on the ball carrier and in contests. There was no spirit, no drive to win, no intensity.
The game much more closely resembled a VFL game than AFL level. It is clear that there is some terrible disconnect within the team, some terrible lack of engagement. When you see Grundy, Maynard, Crisp brushed aside, you know that the moorings of our team have come loose. In the past, these guys would never have been brushed aside so easily by a young team, as they were today.
We never played fast today. We always slowed down after taking a mark and allowed GC to run back in defence. We always directed our play towards the boundary and never sought a player on the inside running forward when we had possession. It seems that aggressive, fast play has been totally coached out of our DNA.
Regardless of those who claim otherwise, all the body language, all the lack of effort and determination today, points to a team which has no will for victory, no confidence and no real desire to play for the honour of their coach
A change has to be made now in my view. Get Budha back (hopefully he would agree to be a caretaker coach), just to break out of the stranglehold that Bux as coach imposes on the way our team plays. We need to find out what the young players, and our more experienced players, can be capable of if they are allowed to play off the leash sometimes, and encouraged to take risks, feeling that their coach will back them to do so.
Last edited by Magpietothemax on Sat May 01, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

thebaldfacts wrote:

Is anyone surprised?

Moore clearly should play back. He looks like his confidence is being destroyed up forward.

However, if you were going to experiment with Moore forward, wouldn't you wait for Howe to come back first? Taking the 2 generals out of the back line is a recipe for disaster.
This is classic Buckley. Throughout his tenure he has tried playing players out of their natural positions until their confidence is completely shot. I predict Moore starts in the forward line next week too.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�