ODI World Cup.

For all sporting topics - news, discussion, score updates etc. - other than Aussie Rules and Premier League Soccer.

Moderators: pies4ever, bbmods

K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by K »

England 2/197 (28 ).

Asked by Athers what NZ will be thinking, Clarke says NZ need to repeat what they did against India.

The problem (I say) is that those were NZ-friendly conditions.

Clarke & Athers make much of "lessons learnt" from 2015, but in the end it's just about what your cricket strengths and weaknesses are. It was good fortune that the rain came and the pitch and conditions suited NZ.

Throughout this tournament, I've seen no signs that any of the teams have overcome their weaknesses. Their fortunes have risen and fallen as the circumstances have changed to advantage or disadvantage them. That's all.
K

Post by K »

M. Taylor: "There have just been too many holes in this Australian team to fill."

Yep, Stoinis & Maxwell have been dead weight in this tournament.

Nasser says Morgan has been taking all the risks and Root just knocking it around, but it's Root who has the higher SR.

Nasser: "Australia don't like playing here."

England 2/210 (30).

Yep, this looks like a 350 pitch. What disgraceful batting by Oz.
K

Post by K »

Root is batting with ease, as the target is brought into single figures.

England 2/216 (31).

---------------------------

2/222 (32).
K

Post by K »

England 2/226 (32.1) win by 8 wickets, with 107 balls to spare.

NZ will play England in the WC final on Sunday.

------------------------------------------------------------

The studio commentators return to the Roy meltdown after he was given out by umpire Dharmasena. [Second-last post on the previous page.]

M. Taylor: "It needs to be rubbed out of the game."

Co-host: "It won't happen, will it?"

M. Taylor: "He may not be, but dissent. Dissent needs to be rubbed out."

Replays show Roy walking down the pitch with arms outstretched. Taylor thinks he was signalling wide, but doesn't think Dharmasena was ever about to signal wide. I don't think Taylor's right. It's more likely Roy was just protesting. Before that, Dharmasena mouthed "out" before raising his finger, but his decision and signal of out were quite delayed. Umpire Erasmus came in and told Roy he had to leave the ground. Maybe Erasmus was reminding him they had already burnt their review, because Roy at one point looked like he was trying to review. He can't possibly have forgotten that they'd used it up, could he? (Well, listening again, I can hear Roy yelling at Erasmus, "He's not giving that out," three times, which again sounds more dissent than anything else.) You can also hear on the replay voices of fielders yelling at him, "No review," but that could have been because he was just standing there, not leaving. (Err... listening again, I think I also hear "wide", so maybe Taylor was right after all. But Roy was there yelling for so long, that he could have said millions of things.)

As Roy walked off, he could be heard shouting "f***ing embarrassing".

Roy banged his bat and threw his gloves in the dressing room, but it's what he did out on the pitch that is the problem, not letting off steam off the ground.

A British journo has repeatedly written about "some" of the English team being "good role models". I guess, because he didn't say "all", he could still be right, but... I don't think you should talk about role models when a team includes someone (else, not Roy) who is very lucky not to be sitting in jail right now.

P.S. Ranjan Madugalle is the match referee. I think reports said before the SFs that the ICC had chosen their most senior guy for this match.

Update: Talking heads are excusing Roy's behaviour and saying he shouldn't be banned, on the grounds that he was brutal on the bowling and the decision was bad. How absurd. What he does to the bowling is irrelevant to the punishment he deserves. The badness of the decision is why you have a TV review. If you waste that disputing an obvious LBW, that's your own fault.
K

Post by K »

Jason Roy avoids suspension after outburst against umpires

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id ... st-umpires

"Jason Roy has avoided suspension, and only been slapped with a 30% fine of his match fees, for his animated outburst aimed at umpire Kumara Dharmasena ...

It seemed that he might draw the ire of the match officials for his show of dissent and cop a serious sanction, but was allowed to get away with the fine and two demerit points."

[Honestly, have you ever seen a worse case of dissent in international cricket? It went on for a whole minute. That's a pathetic penalty.]
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

One can hear slight echoes of the Barry Hall non-suspension.
K

Post by K »

If they were too cowardly to suspend him, they should at least have fined him 10,000 pounds or 20,000 pounds -- or more.

Then, if he or the ECB complained, they could say, "We were doing him a favour. Would you prefer he be suspended?"

The stuff you can hear on the stump mic for that minute is damning.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

I’ve looked up the stats. He is the only guy ever given out caught down the leg side when he didn’t hit the ball in the entire history of cricket, so his reaction was to be expected. :wink:
K

Post by K »

Here's the video of Michael Holding kicking down the stumps in 1980:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrzeQryPv8E

It looks very tame compared with what Roy did. For starters, it lasts all of two seconds, not a minute full of ranting and gesticulating. The comment from the slips, "You're nothing but cheats", might not go down well today, though.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

As for Australia’s batting, take the mass of runs made by the openers and Special K throughout the tournament and replace that with a collective 9 and there’s an answer right there. None of the others (even Smith, who is the best batsman since Bradman) had to do much more than cameo. It’s a shame it all fell apart in the semifinal but probably better last night than in the final. That said, this probably wouldn’t have happened at Lords - but they only have the poor game against South Africa to thank for that.

Going forward, the structure of the tournament needs to be fixed. It suffers from the same sense of anticlimax as the domestic T20 does in Australia - dozens of entertaining but relatively meaningless games for media content and then the real competition is over and done with in a flash. Obviously, India and Australia both sucked in the semi finals but they were the two best teams over the tournament and it doesn’t feel quite right that neither of them will be in the final. I am also slightly concerned that if Guptill goes cheaply again, this one could be dreadfully one-sided. I won’t mind a dreadfully one-sided final if NZ win but I will be switching early to World Series Of Poker if it’s going the other way.
K

Post by K »

This was not Roy's first offence this WC: :shock: :shock:

"Roy has now collected three demerit points at the event. He was booked for an audible obscenity during a clash with Pakistan and fined 15 per cent of that match fee." (AAP)

That makes the penalty even more pathetic.
Presti35
Has liked: 226 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by Presti35 »

Worst world cup ever
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Donny
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Donny »

Thanks for the updates and all related info & quotes, K.

Well done. :)
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
Donny
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Donny »

K wrote:Jason Roy avoids suspension after outburst against umpires

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id ... st-umpires

"Jason Roy has avoided suspension, and only been slapped with a 30% fine of his match fees, for his animated outburst aimed at umpire Kumara Dharmasena ...

It seemed that he might draw the ire of the match officials for his show of dissent and cop a serious sanction, but was allowed to get away with the fine and two demerit points."

[Honestly, have you ever seen a worse case of dissent in international cricket? It went on for a whole minute. That's a pathetic penalty.]
No. Appalling. Should've copped at least a ban and/or ALL of his match fee.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
K

Post by K »

Presti35 wrote:Worst world cup ever
From what viewpoint do you mean?