#35 Nick Daicos

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Born to Pie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Born to Pie »

stui magpie wrote:Since 2013 it has been, in order,
Sharenberg - Pick 6
DeGoey - Pick 5
Sier - Pick 32
McLarty - Pick 30
Stephenson - Pick 6
IQ - Pick 13
Rantall - Pick 40
Henry - Pick 17

Many of those guys didn't play an AFL game in their first season. Much as I like the concept, I'd much prefer to see the 35 on Nicks back in the AFL team rather than spending most of it's time in the VFL
Not a great list of our first picks since 2013, with the inclusion of N. Daicos (Pick 4) only 4 of 9 are still on our list, and the mail seems to be that Henry is probably off to the Cats. If that happens and DeGoey does move on, that will leave only 2 of 6 first round picks left on the on the list! Who'd be a recruiter! BTW Western Bulldogs still have every first pick since 2018 still on their list!
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

I hope Nick keeps #35. You know it makes sense!
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

Has to keep it. The club can find a different way to honour Presti.

And I agree, time to bring the 42 back…
Beware the swooping Magpie.
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

If Nick was an only child, I'd be inclined to say it would be great for him to keep it, providing Presti was okay with his legacy being honoured in another way. But there's another Daicos boy playing for us and I wonder how he would feel about his brother being given their father's number?. Doesn't seem fair for one brother to get the honour above the other.

Then again, the Daicos boys both seem so grounded, that maybe Josh would be happy to see his brother grab it. Also, I recall when Josh was recruited, he was wanting to create a historical connection to a different number that was his to honour.

I think I'd prefer for each son to have their own unique numbers to create their own legend around and leave the 35 to Peter and Presti.
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

IIRC , Josh and Callum were drafted in the same draft and despite Josh not being our first pick, both were offered their fathers numbers and both declined.
Josh chose 26 to honour Gavin Brown and Callum chose 17 for Scott Burns.

(I may have imagined all of that)

Nick wears No. 35 in accordance with the club current ritual, if he wants to keep his Dads number, give it to him and Presti can get over it
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Get it done, Pies.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
barrackers

Post by barrackers »

Seems to me that Presti was being diplomatic rather than the headline torn. Obviously isn’t going to shit can the handover concept and seems he hasn’t spoken to N Daicos to confirm. Suspect we’ll see Nick continue in 35 potentially with a formal supportive comment from Presti.
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

Make it so, deserves to keep the #35 after that season and winning rising star, reward for effort
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Presti is head of merchandising, so surely he knows how much 35 will sell if Nick keeps it. ;)
uncanny
Been liked: 12 times

Post by uncanny »

Recently Nick has said publicly he would love to continue to wear 35 . After the year he has put in to date
it is his to wear. Respectfully bring 42 back and let this
be the replacement fir 35. Darren Millane was our best first year player in his time so this shift would be a tribute to him
as well as an affirmation of the place of the Daicos boys
in our history.
woodsmen rule
Cam
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

uncanny wrote:Recently Nick has said publicly he would love to continue to wear 35 . After the year he has put in to date
it is his to wear. Respectfully bring 42 back and let this
be the replacement fir 35. Darren Millane was our best first year player in his time so this shift would be a tribute to him
as well as an affirmation of the place of the Daicos boys
in our history.
100% concur
Get back on top.
Presti35
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Presti35 »

Question for Presti would be if it were his son wearing the number, would he still feel unsure?

As far as Collingwood goes, 35 means everything to me. I loves it when they announced the number would be honoured every year. But it hasnt been as successful as I would have liked. Players like Sier wearing the number just didnt work. Some of the players didnt want the number or couldnt give a fk about what it means or who Presti was. And now we have Oli Henry wanting out, and Grundy looking around for a new club. Fasolo left for Carlton.

Now Nick has it. And to be fair, it's his birthright. Nick wants it, the fans want it, the club probably wants it. I think Presti will make the right call.

As far as honouring Presti another way, I'm not sure what else they could do?

I'd also love to see Nick come out and say how much he admired Presti and what he means to this club too. That'd be a nice touch.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Presti35 »

Now that the season is over, this will be a talking point.

Oliver Henry was the last player to wear 35 before Josh. If Oli decides to leave the club, that says it all really.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
stui magpie
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

RudeBoy wrote:Maybe give him 36....so he can forever be one up on his old man. 8)
Worked well for Jason Cloke.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.