Post Match. Cats down Pies . All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

^ Exactly

We tried to drag Geelong, Port, Footscray, Brisbane, GWS, WCE, Essendon, Suns and Swans down to our level, with varying degrees of success - and couldn't beat any of them
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

daics aka the ruckman wrote:
npalm wrote:Without a single A grader in the forward line or the midfield (once Grundy was injured) we were never going to beat Geelong. If we hadn't adopted negative tactics we would have been thrashed.
"Negative Tactics". Zero goals to half time.
If we had of gone positive tactics (five goals last quarter) from the start we may have won. I dont think "we would have been thrashed".

I don't think a brand of negative, backwards, sideways, low scoring football is worth pursuing in modern football.

As Gerard Whately said at the end of the game on SEN. If ever there was a game to be played in front of no crowds this was it.
Lol
Last edited by Lazza on Mon May 31, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Post by The Boy Who Cried Wolf »

WarrenerraW wrote:People need to understand that we could have dunstall, lockett and ablett in our fwd line and it wouldn't make an ounce of difference Why? Because our game plan is not designed with an attacking mindset to kick large winning scores. It's centred around a defensive mindset so we don't get beaten (by too much).

Nathan Buckley has coached out whatever attack, flair and instinct our players ever had. Buckley coaches to save games and in turn save his career. We don't get thrashed because we're ultra defensive. We don't kick goals because we're ultra defensive.

Our game plan is to stop/prop/look side ways/look backwards (and choose one of these options). Our forwards don't bother because by the time we actually get the ball there the forward line is clogged and we turn it over.

We are a boring and ugly team to watch and without a doubt the worst team in the comp. Our brand of football is constipating and will not change under buckley's regime. The bloke has NFI. The sooner people wake up to this fact the sooner we move forward. No amount of top forwards or assistants will change that. We need a new coach with new and fresh ideas (and a genuine understanding for how the modern game is played). Buckley doesn't because he is an idiot and the definition of insanity.
^ This is possibly post of the Decade, certainly here on Nick's anyway.
All Aboard!! Choo Choo!!!
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

WarrenerraW wrote:People need to understand that we could have dunstall, lockett and ablett in our fwd line and it wouldn't make an ounce of difference Why? Because our game plan is not designed with an attacking mindset to kick large winning scores. It's centred around a defensive mindset so we don't get beaten (by too much).

Nathan Buckley has coached out whatever attack, flair and instinct our players ever had. Buckley coaches to save games and in turn save his career. We don't get thrashed because we're ultra defensive. We don't kick goals because we're ultra defensive.

Our game plan is to stop/prop/look side ways/look backwards (and choose one of these options). Our forwards don't bother because by the time we actually get the ball there the forward line is clogged and we turn it over.

We are a boring and ugly team to watch and without a doubt the worst team in the comp. Our brand of football is constipating and will not change under buckley's regime. The bloke has NFI. The sooner people wake up to this fact the sooner we move forward. No amount of top forwards or assistants will change that. We need a new coach with new and fresh ideas (and a genuine understanding for how the modern game is played). Buckley doesn't because he is an idiot and the definition of insanity.
A coach devises his game plan around the players he has available to go out on a football field. If I had my current forward line set up with Madgen at full forward I'd be playing the same keepers off football game style that Buckley is deploying. Look at every other team's forward line set up and compare it to ours. Take Geelong - Hawkins and Cameron. Richmond - Riewoldt and Lynch. Now back to ours on Saturday - Mihocek and Madgen. Whose to you prefer? How do you expect us to kick a winning score against any decent opposition? Now if you want to complain why Buckley has allowed us to field a non-competitive forward line this year and strip it of one of the few forwards capable of kicking multiple goals, in Stephenson, last year, that's another story.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

Lazza wrote:
daics aka the ruckman wrote:"Negative Tactics". Zero goals to half time.
If we had of gone positive tactics (five goals last quarter) from the start we may have won. I dont think "we would have been thrashed".

I don't think a brand of negative, backwards, sideways, low scoring football is worth pursuing in modern football.

As Gerard Whately said at the end of the game on SEN. If ever there was a game to be played in front of no crowds this was it.
Lol
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

^ straw man????????
Said by Zed

Post by Said by Zed »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:

A coach devises his game plan around the players he has available to go out on a football field. If I had my current forward line set up with Madgen at full forward I'd be playing the same keepers off football game style that Buckley is deploying. Look at every other team's forward line set up and compare it to ours. Take Geelong - Hawkins and Cameron. Richmond - Riewoldt and Lynch. Now back to ours on Saturday - Mihocek and Madgen. Whose to you prefer? How do you expect us to kick a winning score against any decent opposition? Now if you want to complain why Buckley has allowed us to field a non-competitive forward line this year and strip it of one of the few forwards capable of kicking multiple goals, in Stephenson, last year, that's another story.
Very rational response and closer to post of the decade than that other drivel. If Buckley can’t coach and is an idiot why then do we move the ball and attack with flair for approx 1.5 quarters and usually (excluding the Cats game) put on quick goals before we get shut down? I’m glad you asked, because usually our bottom 6-8 ranked players are well below our opposition’s and they eventually get exposed. This is footy 101. Identify the opposition’s weaknesses and expose it as soon as practicable.
The fact we have been carrying significantly less ‘class’ on our playing list for several years is probably due to mismanagement but the art of list management is to try and ensure to get the right balance of elite talent, middle of the road talent, and role players right. To put it simply, generally the elite and middler type players will cancel each other out - it fundamentally comes down to who’s bottom tier players are better will usually come away with the win. It’s a fact that our list has been cruelled by injuries for years meaning we’ve fielded significantly weaker teams most games based on the above rule. That said, we’ve had more modicum levels of success more often than several other clubs which have had access to greater talent pools for longer.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
RudeBoy
Been liked: 86 times

Post by RudeBoy »

npalm wrote:Without a single A grader in the forward line or the midfield (once Grundy was injured) we were never going to beat Geelong. If we hadn't adopted negative tactics we would have been thrashed.
Exactamundo. Same goes for our game against Port.

People forget that a game plan/style needs to reflect the skills/abilities of the team. Put simply, without a FF or CHF, we cannot play open attacking football, without getting absolutely smashed.

It's also easy to overlook the fact that when we have played open attacking footy in last quarters, the games have pretty much already been lost and our opponents have taken their foot off the pedal. Anyway, that's how I see it, but wtfwik?
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

Lazza wrote:
And how negative have most of the posters on Nick’s been? In my life I try very hard to keep away from negative nellies and s-d s-cks. Might need to avoid those type of posters here too.
Without an ignore button, that's about all we can do Lazza.

Did you get a buzz out of seeing Bianco's very impressive debut? He showed great composure and some excellent skills. Check out his delivery to Cameron in the forward line on the CFC website's top 5 plays.
Said by Zed

Post by Said by Zed »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Said by Zed wrote:"Nah, I think trying to have a logical debate with you might be” definitely a quote by me.
Go back to one of your previous aliases
That’s about right 1998….when outskilled revert to playing the man not the ball.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 18 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

Summarising the commentary above:
Buckley knows we don't have a forward line.
Buckley assumes we're going to lose.
So he implements a game plan that isn't based on winning but solely upon stopping us getting pumped.
To what end? What is this game plan supposed to achieve?

I'm not having a crack at Buckley. It's a serious question.
What exactly is the goal?
Last edited by thesoretoothsayer on Mon May 31, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KickTruly

Post by KickTruly »

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:We are a boring and ugly team to watch and without a doubt the worst team in the comp. Our brand of football is constipating and will not change under buckley's regime. The bloke has NFI. The sooner people wake up to this fact the sooner we move forward. No amount of top forwards or assistants will change that. We need a new coach with new and fresh ideas (and a genuine understanding for how the modern game is played). Buckley doesn't because he is an idiot and the definition of insanity.
This is possibly post of the Decade, certainly here on Nick's anyway.
I agree 100%

Imagine another 2 years of Buckley and his assistants - I feel sick.
Make next year a new chapter in Collingwoods's history.
Think MAGPIES...winning the Flag this year!
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

PyreneesPie wrote:^ straw man????????
It's where you set up and tear down a figure that isn't relevant to the discussion

Like you did with Whatley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

thesoretoothsayer wrote:Summarising the commentary above:
Buckley knows we don't have a forward line.
Buckley assumes we're going to lose.
So he implements a game plan that isn't based on winning but solely upon stopping us getting pumped.
To what end? What is this game plan supposed to achieve?
Contract extension
PyreneesPie

Post by PyreneesPie »

Said by Zed wrote: it fundamentally comes down to who’s bottom tier players are better will usually come away with the win. It’s a fact that our list has been cruelled by injuries for years meaning we’ve fielded significantly weaker teams most games based on the above rule. That said, we’ve had more modicum levels of success more often than several other clubs which have had access to greater talent pools for longer.
Absolutely spot on Zed, IMHO.

Plus, we have so few A graders playing as such at the moment to inspire and lift the middle and bottom tier players. Our obvious contenders for A grade status are either slowing with age (Pendles) or injured (Howie, Adams).
Darcy is a bona fide A grade player, but his impetus was interrupted by the temporary shift to the forward line. Grundy is slowly coming back to his AA form, but is not there yet.