Farewell #33 Jack Ginnivan

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Any resemblance to Luke Breust has ceased, he's gone the full Kane Cornes lookalike coiffure!
...bloke is going to get a following one way or another.
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
nomadjack

Post by nomadjack »

LaurieHolden wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:Perhaps you could elaborate on their similarities other than height and being forwards?

Not saying I agree with it but I have heard some criticism of Ginnivan that he draws frees by dropping his knees (from oppo fans, naturally)
In the 5 games that he's played? Suspect most opposition fans wouldn't know who he is.
Bucks commented on this on the weekend. Described it along the lines of an innate ability to draw free kicks by dropping his centre of gravity.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

And Dunstall the prick started to have a go at Ginnivans knack for drawing a head high free kick.

Bucks put him in his place by saying he doesn't complain about Selwood (which has been mentioned already here)

We know Dunstall has zero empathy for anything Collingwood, the bastard was
just riding Kane Cornes article and making a headline at Ginnivan's expense.

I have no doubt the mudslinging at Ginnivan would have continued into his career had it not been nipped in the bud then and there.
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Bucks/Dunstall commentary - Ginnivan shrug/high tackles

Post by piffdog »

Re-watching the game and came across this interesting bit of banter...

Q2, 10:02 remaining

Huddo: Ohh that's high (on Ginnivan)
Bucks: He's very good at that
Huddo: Do you ever try to coach it out?
Bucks: He keeps getting free kicks - I don't think so...

Later... Q2 4:29 remaining

...Ginnivan shrugs into another high tackle

Dunstall (in clear disagreement with Bucks' comment 5 minutes earlier...): Cmon Bucks, you cant have that...
Bucks: Why cant you have it?
Dunstall: It's not in the spirit of the game if you're saying he's very good at dropping himself into the tackle
Bucks: It challenges the tackler to have good technique and if you don't have a good technique then you give a free kick away
Dunstall: Yeah but if you go to tackle someone around the body and at the last second as you are executing that good tackling technique they drop like that I don't think we want to see that in our game
Bucks: Joel Selwood?

pregnant pause.... :shock:

Dunstall: Correct
Bucks: You don't like his...
Dunstall: I don't like the way that happens either. I love Joel's career, I'd love to have him in my team, he's one of the first blokes picked...
Bucks: (now knowing he has won the argument, lets Jason off the hook): I get it, its annoying, but its the rule

...about 30 seconds of silence....

Couple things about this:
1. Bucks still loves the Pies - and will come to their defence
2. I don't think Jason likes being called out
3. We all know that legends get a sweetheart deal in the media that rookies don't ("anyone who knows him knows he's a great bloke...")
4. I don't know that dropping at the knees is a good look either (hate when Selwood does it) - but we cant have it both ways when its our guy!!
5. I'll be looking out for more Dunstall v Bucks commentary pairings.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Pies2016 »

It remains a “ skill “ until it isn’t. Ginnivan had a reputation of drawing free kicks as a junior. Free kicks ( or marks ) in front of goal are gold because they allow you time to compose yourself and go through your routine.
If he stays injury free, he could easily finish the season as a forty goal forward and you can bet a fair percentage of those will be from going in low and drawing free kicks from over exuberant opponents. Let ‘em squeal.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

A bit of media attention will bring it to attention of umps, so such free kicks might become harder to get

Post by #26 »

The idea of having a small forward in our team, who'll drive opposition supporters nuts by drawing high free kicks, is hilarious. :lol:
simon tonna

Post by simon tonna »

its just a way of absorbing a side tackle firstly then in the process its reversing the likely outcome which would be holding the ball in many cases. lets not forget alot of the times in ginnies defence, he's under shit loads of heat probably because he's either picking a loose ball or receving a hot handball and knows he will be crunched with no time prior so why not try and manipulate a free for?
you can see both sides thats for sure but perhaps try tackling someone front on and wrap up the ball in the process.
no second chances
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

By the same logic, tall players should be prevented from jumping
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

#26 wrote:The idea of having a small forward in our team, who'll drive opposition supporters nuts by drawing high free kicks, is hilarious. :lol:
And long may it continue. Its been too long since we were truly despised by the masses...I hope he draws a free for a shot to win the flag, nothing would make me happier...assuming he kicks it
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Never liked it, but if other clubs do it then as they say when in Rome! And as Bucks said, it’s up to the tackler to be aware and tackle with the right technique.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

I get the feeling Ginnivan is trolling Cornes with his new hair colour.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 86 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Dunstall is a flog.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 45 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

Charlie Oneeye wrote:I have no doubt the mudslinging at Ginnivan would have continued into his career had it not been nipped in the bud then and there.
Nipped in the bud is a bold prediction