What made you sad today?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

ronrat

Post by ronrat »

Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Mountains Magpie

Post by Mountains Magpie »

Yemen's cholera outbreak the world's worst:

http://www.middleeastnews.net/news/2537 ... ach-200000

I'm sure Yemen's in Africa :roll:

MM
Spiral progress, unstoppable,
exhausted sources replaced by perversion

Post by 5150 »

Mountains Magpie wrote:Yemen's cholera outbreak the world's worst:

MM
The Collingwood coaching box has been filled with Yemen...
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

stui magpie wrote:Ah.

I don't use toilets in rest rooms, just urinals
It must be great having such obedient bowels.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 95 times

Post by stui magpie »

They are well trained, :wink:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

Mountains Magpie wrote:Yemen's cholera outbreak the world's worst:

MM
Yes horrific MM :(
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

Just been to the BIL workshop to cook a BBQ for hubby, my nephew and a mate, they're clearing the last of it ready for painters, hopefully we have someone to lease it, so my sister in law has an income. Hopefully my nephew will move in there when his business can support it. The grief was all over their faces, Ian's beloved Hotrod sold, and it had just driven off. God it's so sad there. Like ripping off bandaids nonstop. All the little bullshit we get so hooked up with. Really, it's nothing. My other nephew only made his peace with his dad in his final hours. 2 wasted years. Hug your loved ones, you never know when it's the last time. Cheers.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

Went to the Gold Coast over the weekend, sort of for the footy, mainly for the sun :wink:
Anyway, our suite had a balcony overlooking the ocean & there was much excitement at realising we could see whales swimming out at sea.
Until day 2 when I noticed one wasn't moving on, just popping up in the same spot - caught in the stupid shark nets :twisted:

Couple boats went out to it & it was freed :D
Then found out later the same day the freed whale was a mother whale & her baby had also been stuck in the net and had died :( :cry: :evil:

The story in the paper said there's been calls every year for the nets to be replaced with drums during whale season but no, the council or government or whichever idiot decides such things thinks the nets are fine. Apparently this was the 3rd stuck whale in a week.

Get rid of the nets altogether - the ocean is there for whales & sharks, not people. If people want to swim let them risk it or stay out!

Poor whale, so upsetting :cry:
partypie

Post by partypie »

luvdids wrote:Went to the Gold Coast over the weekend, sort of for the footy, mainly for the sun :wink:
Anyway, our suite had a balcony overlooking the ocean & there was much excitement at realising we could see whales swimming out at sea.
Until day 2 when I noticed one wasn't moving on, just popping up in the same spot - caught in the stupid shark nets :twisted:

Couple boats went out to it & it was freed :D
Then found out later the same day the freed whale was a mother whale & her baby had also been stuck in the net and had died :( :cry: :evil:

The story in the paper said there's been calls every year for the nets to be replaced with drums during whale season but no, the council or government or whichever idiot decides such things thinks the nets are fine. Apparently this was the 3rd stuck whale in a week.

Get rid of the nets altogether - the ocean is there for whales & sharks, not people. If people want to swim let them risk it or stay out!

Poor whale, so upsetting :cry:
When they put the nets in in the 1960s there weren't any whales, or so few they were never sighted. Different story now whaling has been banned since the late 70s. You're right, time for a rethink, but protecting swimmers from sharks has played a big role in the success of the tourist industry there for a long time.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Lots of Bull and tiger sharks around the area IIRC. You need a way to keep sharks away from the beach, the water is a key tourist attraction.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

stui magpie wrote:^

Lots of Bull and tiger sharks around the area IIRC. You need a way to keep sharks away from the beach, the water is a key tourist attraction.
They don't try to keep the crocs away in the NT....
So, because it's a tourist attraction it's ok if a few whales die?
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

The crocs are both a protected species and a tourist attraction themselves, but you don't find a lot of crocs on the beach. They can do ocean water but prefer the rivers and mud to sand.

Is it OK if the occasional whale gets caught in the nets? It's not ideal and if there's a way to keep the sharks away that doesn't hurt whales, then I'm for it.

I'd guess more whales die from beaching themselves than from sharknets, so it's a price I'm willing to pay.
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

Yeah but beaching themselves is some weird natural phenomenon, shark nets are a man made death trap (& not just for whales). Apparently these drum things work. Or close the beach for a month or two in winter to let animals do what they've done for hundreds of years in peace.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Dunno about completely closing them, but it's not hot enough to go swimming there in winter anyway (unlike Port Douglas :P ) so maybe compromise if you can be sure the Whales are only there in winter and do some close in netted areas for swimmers like the stinger nets in the tropics and let the surfers take their chances.